Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress

AlcinaeAlcinae AFK
edited January 2013 in The Universal Membrane
Anyone here play Dwarf Fortress? I've been quite on-and-off with the game, but I find it so rewarding, though so stressful. I'm attempting to relearn the game after a long time, and I was wondering if any of you play? How far along are you with your fortress? Any current happenings with your dwarves, be it one opening the 'circus', haunting another dwarf, or anything, post here!

Information on the Game:
  1. Main Site
  2. Subreddit
Edit: Added Tags

Comments

• Haven't played for a while, but my latest fort was kinda basic.  Built into a mountain and went up instead of down, basically hollowed the entire damn thing out.  It ended up getting murdered from magma that I sent out to try and kill the undead hordes which had been gleefully murdering my entire fort for the whole game.
  • I admit, I love Dwarf Fortress ... but get easily bored of it. Same with Harvest Moon(unrelated, really). After a certain point, for me, it gets too repetitive and ... well, it just bores me.

I admit, I'm hard to keep amused. Almost every game eventually bores me once I've done about everything there is to be done in it.
    When Canada rules the world,
    things will be... nii~ice.
  • I tried to learn Dwarf Fortress once, because the game looked like a lot of fun...but I couldn't figure out wtf was going on, and after about an hour of attempting to do even the most basic thing, I gave up

• Can't say that I've ever gotten to a point in DF where I've felt anywhere close to having done "about everything there is to be done". That said, I've played some, pretty obsessively for a little bit, but fell out of it. Will probably go back to it off and on, but haven't been playing recently.
  • Maybe I'm just on obsessive enough to reach the happy fun stuff or perform dwarven science...

Or deal with 100 dwarves at once, trying to figure out something for all of them to do without them being idiots and running into death. Pointless death, that is.
    When Canada rules the world,
    things will be... nii~ice.
  • Hehe. I mean, there's also a Masterwork mod if you want to be even more obsessed. I haven't given it a try, but it adds more races to deal with, new creatures, and materials to use. Not to mention its completely customizable as well, being able to disable certain races or features from the settings.
  • Urist McGradstudent cancels Write Thesis: distracted by Dwarf Fortress...
  • I like my fortresses peaceful and full of trade an production and mining.

Never got to like the military part. :P maybe some other time.

I absolutely love Adventure Mode though!

League of Legends: IA ROCKS (NA)
    Guild Wars 2: erasariel.1532 - Devona's Rest (NA)
    Final Fantasy XIV: Novi Selea - Cactuar (NA)
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ErasarielOfAchaea/
    Achaea: Erasariel (duh!)
  • HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    I picked up Dwarf Fortress last summer and, for awhile, it was all-consuming "fun." Eventually, and with the help of the Lazy Newb Pack and DF Hack, I managed to disable aquifers and find embark sites with coal, iron, and flux stone. Ran a handful of (in my mind) great fortresses with 150+ dwarves, happy nobility, and a decent military. Each inevitably fell victim to FPS death, which consistently thwarts my ambitions to build bigger, better fortresses. Tarn looks to be putting out a new update soonish, and I'll probably fire it up again when he does.
  • After seeing this thread, and being a big fan of sandbox/survival/build a village kinda games, I've decided to try this out. Not getting much of anywhere with it, though I have a feeling it was bugged when I ran it on the computer at my parent's house this weekend. I'll give it another go on my computer, which isn't a decade old. I've seen a lot of raves about this game on the internet so I'm going to try and stick through the steep learning curve.
  • It's definitely a steep learning curve, but its -truly- worth it! :)
  • @Jacen: It's in alpha - it will forever be. :P

It has a LOT of quirks and bugs, and people even make use of them! It's also one of the factors that make it fun.

• Well, it wasn't a bug that was messing me up. I assumed the green all over my screen meant I was in a forest. I have since learned the symbols for trees, and how to properly cut them down. Progress, I suppose
  • I feel like it has the potential to be one of the most fun games I've ever played, but I keep getting bogged down by how slowly I issue commands.
    The FPS slowdown that plagues the game just as your fortress really starts coming into its own is the only reason that I'm not hopelessly addicted. Download and make use of Dwarf Therapist, to make managing a growing fort a lot easier.

• Herenicus said:
    The FPS slowdown that plagues the game just as your fortress really starts coming into its own is the only reason that I'm not hopelessly addicted. Download and make use of Dwarf Therapist, to make managing a growing fort a lot easier.
    Am I the only person who has never had this problem? Or am I just doing something wrong?
  • Dwarf Fortress can lag extremely bad, even with high end computers, simply because the game engine is taking in so many objects, so many factors.

Goodness forbid I can play DF in my i3 when things start flooding and miasma starts spreading so horribly. I usually just end the process - it was the only way. D:

• Oh god so addicting.

Okay, Naga must fend for itself. Gonna be gone for 6 months while I defend my dwarfs.
    Eld said:

Herenicus said:
    Am I the only person who has never had this problem? Or am I just doing something wrong?
    Sounds like you're doing something right.  By the time I dig through the three caverns, start producing trade goods, max out my population, and litter the fields outside my walls with a hundred goblins my FPS starts winding down, fast.  From what I read, I'm not alone.  Apparently FPS death is the most common way to lose a fort.   
  • Might be that I just haven't managed to grow a fort big enough to really get it bad yet.
  • As @Daklore said on the League Skype group, "Framerate death is a feature of Dwarf Fortress".

Hell, it's valid! Being the overseer of the fort, you simply collapse as the chaos invading your fort overwhelms you. GG.

• Just thought I'd take a moment to point out:

Grunt Urist (male Dwarf).
    He is 19 years old, having been born on the 18th of Chronos, 599 years after the fall of the
    Seleucarian Empire.
    He is unranked in Achaea.
    He is an extremely credible character.
    He is not known for acts of infamy.
    He is a Slave in Mhaldor.
    He is considered to be approximately 10% of your might.
    His motto: 'Losing is fun!'
  • Holy crap! I've seen him on the list before but never bothered to honours him for some reason. :P
    Eld said:

Just thought I'd take a moment to point out:

Grunt Urist (male Dwarf).
    He is 19 years old, having been born on the 18th of Chronos, 599 years after the fall of the
    Seleucarian Empire.
    He is unranked in Achaea.
    He is an extremely credible character.
    He is not known for acts of infamy.
    He is a Slave in Mhaldor.
    He is considered to be approximately 10% of your might.
    His motto: 'Losing is fun!'

• Never saw him outside Minia to track down and look at his description.
  • Clearly, he keeps dying to FPS death.

• EiredhelEiredhel California
    I need to bring this thread back from the grave because I need to know how everyone is doing in DF D:

Meow, meow, etc. 
    Eiredhel's Family Tree

• I..I moved on.

I do try to play once in a while, but I find Adventure Mode to be quite a thrill!

• EiredhelEiredhel California
    You are such a quitter D:< I am ashamed of you!

Meow, meow, etc. 
    Eiredhel's Family Tree

• My mind slipped from the game, and every time I see any updates to it I just shake my head in regret for not truly learning how to play. D:

I gotta get back on this.