Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Is Achaea losing its "world"?

Comments

• LintonLinton Member Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Daeir said:
    A common sentiment that I've noticed in the past few months, particularly among older players, is that the world feels more like a "game" now than it used to. 

Do you feel the same way? Is Achaea becoming more of an OOC game rather than an IC world to escape to? What in your mind, has changed to make it feel this way, if you do?
    Yes. For me, what has changed to make it feel this way can be marked first by a single event. The deletion of Shallam. At that time, Shallam was being stomped/raided so badly that some Shallamese players didn't even want to login. The blame for this was put on the Shallamese houses for having different ideals and thus purportedly it is -impossible- to unite them. Bear in mind the Shallamese houses have been around forever so their diversity was never a new thing. Also Shallam could have taken on a humbler stance, roleplayed a defeated force waiting to rise another day. But no. Shallam remained antagonistic as ever till the very end.

So because some leader at that time failed to play the -diplomacy game- in improving public image/relations, and failed in their -politicking game- of uniting the city icly, they chose to instead come to the forums and blame the houses and 'joke' about the deletion of Shallam. This kind of lobbying really indicated to me how some players are unwilling to play the 'deepest roleplaying game' and how unwilling they are to 'lose'. Instead they still try to 'win' by hoping for a reset and get a reincarnation that is united on the get go, all the work(or play) done for them.

And they have made their point, their lobbying a huge success. So much so it extended to the entire realm only instead of deleting the cities, just delete the houses and all their diverse identities. Enforced unity is the result, no surprise houses now lament about a lack of a stand out identity. This of course feels very artificial and not very world-like especially since we have seen before how full of possibilities it once was.

So instead of a player directed story, the Imms, playing their divine roles, took over. Hard definitions with little room for interpretation were set up. So yes it becomes more like a game of 5 or 6 factions skirmishing endlessly while waiting for the next world event, instead of a world that can be impacted by individuals truly able to make their impression upon the world by their storytelling and DM skills, whether by great success or by spectacular failure, as advertised by the call for adventurehood.

But we may be surprised yet!
    ShirszaeZbacoAereidhnaPrythe
  • NazihkNazihk Member Posts: 993 @ - Epic Achaean
    So wait, let me get this straight...

Players raided Shallam so hard that the player-led government fragmented, resulting in the eventual destruction of the city... and this is supposedly an example of how players can't make an impression on the world? What?
  • DunnDunn Member, Secret Squirrel Posts: 6,117 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    It's what we try to do on a semi daily basis ofc. Ruin, oblivion, government shutdown, etc

NataliiaKyrra
  • MinifieMinifie Member Posts: 2,196 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Antonius said:
    Nazihk said:
    So wait, let me get this straight...

Players raided Shallam so hard that the player-led government fragmented, resulting in the eventual destruction of the city... and this is supposedly an example of how players can't make an impression on the world? What?
    It's irrelevant, because that's not what happened.

The fact that players were allowed to wreck Shallam to the point where destruction was a pretty decent choice does, however, show you that players can make an impression on the world. It's just not always a good one.
    Did they at least mourn the truffles?

(Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Taryius says, "Oops, thats not a foray. Thats two novices going at it in the wilderness."
  • KryptonKrypton shi-KhurenaMember Posts: 2,377 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Vanna's cake-decorating service was the tits. RIP.
    (Mhaldor): Herenicus says, "Apologies, I am in-and-out of hold with Verizon wireless customer service."
    SkyeBorran
  • KayeilKayeil Washington StateMember Posts: 2,824 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Skye said:
    the thing I mourned most about Shallam didn't even exist anymore at the time of its destruction.

The cake decorating service where you could ask the baker to ice a birthday cake and get her to put a ring in it :(

But people kept complaining about the truffle so hard that they blew up the bakery and took the cake decorating service with it :( fuck those truffles
    Wow that sounds amazing. Was definitely before my time.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• AntoniusAntonius Member Posts: 4,771 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Skye said:
    the thing I mourned most about Shallam didn't even exist anymore at the time of its destruction.

The cake decorating service where you could ask the baker to ice a birthday cake and get her to put a ring in it :(

But people kept complaining about the truffle so hard that they blew up the bakery and took the cake decorating service with it :( fuck those truffles
    I'd completely forgotten about the truffle nonsense, and I think I was dormant when the bakery was destroyed. At least Targ has a bauble decorating service to make up for it.
  • AtalkezAtalkez Member Posts: 4,841 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    And very poorly made buckets.

You hug Aurora compassionately.
  • TristitiaTristitia Member Posts: 61 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    edited February 2017
    Complaints about my emotes - the length and the fact I add character speech into them. I'm not ranting. I understand the criticism, (and honestly I'm admittedly clumsy with them sometimes), but it does lead me to realize I can't adapt the world to me. Achaea is just not an emote-heavy place. I'm trying to adjust and just use SAY and predefined emotes now, but it's killed most of the magic for me. The few people I know who emote a lot have artefacts that keep them from being visible on WHO, so I think I just tend to miss them when they are around. Others I knew no longer play. To me, it's not so much a "world" anymore. It's a pretty okay game, though. I'm going to finish bashing up to dragon or frustration and then decide what I still want from this game.
    Liyane
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna beMember Posts: 3,370 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    People have complained about my use of custom emotes when I'm actually using in-game emotes that nobody ever uses. @Tristitia I feel ya.
    Huh. Neat.
    LiyaneBadeElipise
  • KryptonKrypton shi-KhurenaMember Posts: 2,377 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    The BITCHNUTS, ZERBERT, and ADJUSTME emotes were central to my immersion, and things just aren't the same without them anymore.
    (Mhaldor): Herenicus says, "Apologies, I am in-and-out of hold with Verizon wireless customer service."
    Tristitia said:
    Complaints about my emotes - the length and the fact I add character speech into them. I'm not ranting. I understand the criticism, (and honestly I'm admittedly clumsy with them sometimes), but it does lead me to realize I can't adapt the world to me. Achaea is just not an emote-heavy place. I'm trying to adjust and just use SAY and predefined emotes now, but it's killed most of the magic for me. The few people I know who emote a lot have artefacts that keep them from being visible on WHO, so I think I just tend to miss them when they are around. Others I knew no longer play. To me, it's not so much a "world" anymore. It's a pretty okay game, though. I'm going to finish bashing up to dragon or frustration and then decide what I still want from this game.
    I don't have problems with heavy/long emotes. My problem is when the emotes turn a 5 minute conversation into a 25 minute conversation because every response takes you 4 minutes to write and proofread.

If you can spin those suckers out fast enough, go for it. Emote away, I won't have a problem. On the other hand, if your emotes take so long for you to write that I find myself tabbing out to wait for your response, then your emotes are actively reducing my immersion in the game because they slow the pacing down to the point where I lose interest.

I've never interacted with you so I don't know if this is your problem, but I do know that this has been the problem with literally everybody else I've met who has complained about people disliking their emotes. 
    AerekZbacoBreanJayden
    Nazihk said:

I don't have problems with heavy/long emotes. My problem is when the emotes turn a 5 minute conversation into a 25 minute conversation because every response takes you 4 minutes to write and proofread.

If you can spin those suckers out fast enough, go for it. Emote away, I won't have a problem. On the other hand, if your emotes take so long for you to write that I find myself tabbing out to wait for your response, then your emotes are actively reducing my immersion in the game because they slow the pacing down to the point where I lose interest.

I've never interacted with you so I don't know if this is your problem, but I do know that this has been the problem with literally everybody else I've met who has complained about people disliking their emotes. 
    Yeah, I get it. When I'm tired I'm guilty of this, for sure. The complaints I speak of are generally given immediately after I initiate with an emote. I used to try to meet new people by emoting at them. The number of people who respond positively, let alone engage, are low. I get at least as many people who give me the cold shoulder, politely ask me to please just use says, or let it be known to me in less cordial ways that they don't enjoy having to read emotes.

As I said, I'm not ranting. I get it. Not every RP community is the same, and I have to adapt. Not vice versa.
    That's a really good response. Thanks!
    Trey
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, FloridaMember Posts: 4,952 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    We miss you, @Tristitia, long-form emotes and all!
    "You have had an extraordinary adventure, my dear. Extraordinary! One that few people could ever imagine. Treasure it. Keep it safe and secure, tucked away in some special place in your heart. 

But... don't spend the rest of your days chasing a ghost."
    Tristitia
  • VesiosVesios Member Posts: 243 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    edited February 2017
    For me it's something like:

Standard, everyday RP tomfoolery (this would be in Eleusis usually or if I'm with the family screwing around): preset emotes suffice here and actually compliment the situation much better than long-form would, because of how easily you can bang them out. People are typing quickly and the situation isn't serious, so going custom here would needlessly slow down and disrupt the "flow" we've found. 

Shit Gets Philosphical(tm): oh you wanna mess *cracks knuckles, vomits paragraphs*

LiyaneTristitiaJayden
  • OmorOmor Member Posts: 756 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    @Nazihk has the right idea. Long form emotes are fine if you can pump them out fast, or if you're not slowing down the conversation. If you type out a 4 line emote, but it doesn't get sent until after the subject of the conversation has already changed twice, I'm just going to ignore it.
    Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
    LiyaneTristitia
    The way I look at it is that you shouldn't try to paint a perfect picture of exactly what is happening. You want to present just enough to capture the action, so that everybody knows what's going on.
    LiyaneJurixeTristitiaSarapis
  • LiyaneLiyane Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Nazihk said:
    The way I look at it is that you shouldn't try to paint a perfect picture of exactly what is happening. You want to present just enough to capture the action, so that everybody knows what's going on.
    I super duper agree with this.

I try to apply this to everything I do in Achaea. In this game we're all the authors and a good author needs to paint the general picture but it's up to the reader (in this case the other players) to use their imaginations to fill in all the detail. If you look at the descriptions of any of my characters they're all general outlines of what they look like without getting into paragraphs of descriptions of the way light twinkle off eyes, etc. If someone's description is ridiculously long or their emotes long form, I tend to just skim them if I don't ignore them entirely.
    TristitiaJayden
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna beMember Posts: 3,370 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Known.
    Huh. Neat.
  • FarrahFarrah Member, Secret Squirrel Posts: 2,256 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Usually at least three mhun slaves die in various ways when @Aegoth enters the room. Mdor gonna run out of laborers.
Sign In to Comment.