Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Is Achaea losing its "world"?

Comments

• VesiosVesios Member Posts: 243 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Oh snap, didn't know that! Disregard that point then, that's awesome.
  • IllyoseIllyose Member Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Honestly, I don't feel like Achaea has lost its world, so much as it has taken a new breathe. One of the things which has constantly brought me back to the game is the breadth and depth of lore in the game. Be it the mythos and the many Gods, or the cities and their various missions, or the spheres of influence the guilds and Houses once had. With the coming of the renaissance, I feel as though the cities each now have a clear goal, and great flavor to them, that really separates them, and gives them a clear focus for world stage events. I feel like one of the costs of said event though, was a reset on the new Houses. While each of them certainly is an aspect of the greater mission that their cities now have, I feel like there hasn't been enough time, or attempts at world actions from those specific Houses. I look forward to seeing a Dread Legates Massacre, where for years every village in the game is wiped out over and over and over, and the shrines of Mhaldor litter the lesser villages. I look forward to the Heartwood Kin managing to broker an agreement for attempting natural construction in some of the cities (Looking at you Targ or Cyrene) where a part of the city is "reclaimed" without it being the actual reclamation ability. I'd be all for the Harbingers going on a holy crusade to convert, holding prayers and sermons in the various villages and engaging other characters about what is good, and why isn't it just another flavor of Mhaldor? 

I feel like the game has lost the roots of its storied beginnings in Guilds and Houses, but has planted the seeds for some truly inspiring new stories in the Great Houses we have now. All we need is time, and the willingness to see those stories come to life. 
    Nataliia
  • TorinnTorinn Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    I definitely agree that nostalgia plays a big role.  I fondly remember the early days of Eve every time I try to play again.  That being said, the majority of being bored or feeling like things are stagnant is caused by not being involved.  Recently I got a bit bored and took a hard look at what had been entertaining me before versus what I was doing now. The difference was I was rping a lot more, doing sermons and teaching a lot more, and being involved. When I was bored, it was because I was spending almost all of my time hunting to dragon. Afterward I realized what had changed and took steps to be the change I wanted to see and I am much happier and far more interested in the game again.  Writing and performing rituals and teaching people (not even novices).  And even though I was doing this to build my character and the world it was noticed by our Divine and awesome things happened because of it. As others have said, be the change you want to see
     I have seen you come online recently @Daeir but each time you soon leave shortly after.  I have read your work and you are a great philosopher and writer. Bring that back and get involved with the rest of us, you'll fall in love again I bet.
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
    NataliiaAereidhnaAralaya
  • KryptonKrypton shi-KhurenaMember Posts: 2,377 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Shirszae said:
    Shouting goes through deafness now. Just felt like I'd point that out. If you have SHOUTSON you will hear anyone who shouts in the same plane as you.
    Hahaha, I had no idea... For 450 years, I have never kept up deafness, b/c I never wanted to miss any shouts/yells

Probably eaten <20 hawthorn in my entire lifetime
    (Mhaldor): Herenicus says, "Apologies, I am in-and-out of hold with Verizon wireless customer service."
    Aereidhna
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna beMember Posts: 3,370 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited January 2017
    ETA: Looking back at logs, I'm apparently incorrect. Good to know.
    Huh. Neat.
  • FarrahFarrah Member, Secret Squirrel Posts: 2,253 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    It required undeaf for everyone who didn't want to buy aural earrings just to hear shouts.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-KhurenaMember Posts: 2,377 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Yeah, I imagine if aural earrings came out in 2005, and were removed in 2015, that deafness blocked shouts/yells for that entire period of time.
    (Mhaldor): Herenicus says, "Apologies, I am in-and-out of hold with Verizon wireless customer service."
  • LiyaneLiyane Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Shirszae said:
    I for one am glad guilds are gone and stay gone. I don't want to be forced into some knightly bullshit just because I want to play a Runewarden or an Infernal or whatever D:
    I've posted this before but I'll say it 1,000 times more. I love the Runewarden class but couldn't stand the guild back when I played previously. So glad to be a forestal knight!
  • SenoskeSenoske Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    edited January 2017
    Shirszae said:
    I for one am glad guilds are gone and stay gone. I don't want to be forced into some knightly bullshit just because I want to play a Runewarden or an Infernal or whatever D:
    My point was that there is literally no feel from Houses. It's just another pointless org that really doesn't offer anything.

I loved guilds. Like the skillset but don't want then guild? Oh well. Either get your buns in and get to workin' or find something else you do enjoy.

However, I do agree that faction-locked classes is sucky. Can't have one without the other so I'd rather just have Houses completely gone and maintain multiclass.
  • ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    edited January 2017
    Frederich said:
    I will admit that after joining Targossas I felt a distinct...  lack of desire to join a house.

I joined one because of peer pressure, but like.

Luminai are super secret sneakers w/ intel.  They the spies and shit.  Not my schtick.
    Harbingers?  PREACH AND CONDEMN.  ALSO RITUALS.  Not my schtick either.
    Dawnblade..?  I.. no.

I don't feel a connection with any of the houses, like I did with the Merchants or the Outriders.  Which had unique, and intriguing, ways to drag people in.  I'd much rather just do city ministry work than be in a house, but houses get you #ExtraCredits so.
    If I never eventually give into my IG family's Nihilistic or Evil roots, I would stay in Merchants for life just for Laytron alone. 

AereidhnaIllyoseBade
  • JonathinJonathin Grand Rapids, MIMember Posts: 3,323 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Everyone in the game tries to be smarter than everyone else. As a result, it's just gone beyond what I'm interested in. I said once that I didn't want to need a PhD to understand the finer points of a game and that statement still stands.

In response to whomever asked why the enthusiasm had not trickled dow  from admin.

My site will remain up, but will not be maintained. The repository will continue to have scripts added to it if I decide to play another game. Maybe I'll see you around in Starmourn!
    Tutorials and scripts  The Repository

LiyaneSenoskeAereidhnaJacen
    edited January 2017
    Ahmet said:

Personally, I'd like to have seen a good number of houses outside of cities, open to all comers, serving a central pursuit and good for teaching and sharing knowledge while allowing their members from different walks of life to go about it as they see fit, or as their ideals dictate, but I understand why that's not the case.
    I would love this, I'd love a version of the Outriders I could join as an Eleusian.

And I agree some houses do help you play the game but that isn't true across the board. My personal realization is that the Scions don't really serve a purpose. It's not Eleusis' combat house, as everyone seems to do combat, and it's not anything else... I think this is reflected by the majority of people on at any time are HR 1-3. It has a cool flavor that draws people in from the HELP scroll but when you get there you realize it doesn't really do anything and your progression dies out. Which exacerbates things as people don't rise up in the ranks to change things and pursue a clear vision to keep people interested in being a Scion.
    Shirszae
  • QuisseQuisse Member Posts: 299 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Frederich said:
    I will admit that after joining Targossas I felt a distinct...  lack of desire to join a house.

I joined one because of peer pressure, but like.

Luminai are super secret sneakers w/ intel.  They the spies and shit.  Not my schtick.
    Harbingers?  PREACH AND CONDEMN.  ALSO RITUALS.  Not my schtick either.
    Dawnblade..?  I.. no.

I don't feel a connection with any of the houses, like I did with the Merchants or the Outriders.  Which had unique, and intriguing, ways to drag people in.  I'd much rather just do city ministry work than be in a house, but houses get you #ExtraCredits so.

Targossas doesn't require House membership though. Don't be in one if you aren't feeling it. Also, it's clear that I need to fix the HELP HOUSE LUMINAI description. :D 

ShaydeSirrionAereidhna
  • KafzielKafziel Member Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    I thought the Luminai were a mining/merchant company tbh
    Quisse
  • QuisseQuisse Member Posts: 299 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Kafziel said:
    I thought the Luminai were a mining/merchant company tbh

<3 :D 

Say hi sometimes. Sheesh.
    Kafziel
  • TorinnTorinn Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    @Frederich if you don't wanna teach or do sermons or write or do rituals or fight or spy, not sure why you came to targ in the first place ;). Honestly though you seem to be fitting in
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • VesiosVesios Member Posts: 243 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Still don't know why Eleusis only got two houses, I would've loved a nature-themed Outriders tbh.
    LiyanePrythe
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo DomingoMember Posts: 3,099 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Ahmet said:
    I did always find it silly that the Outriders and the Virtuosi were Cyrene-only. Perhaps someday, @Liyane :(
    This so much. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

AereidhnaJayden
    edited January 2017
    Vesios said:
    Still don't know why Eleusis only got two houses, I would've loved a nature-themed Outriders tbh.
    I would very much like three distinct houses in Eleusis: Heartwood Kin: Ritual/Lore House; Scions: Combat/PR House; Robot House Insert Name Here: Exploration/Learning House

Edit: Better yet, have Outriders or an Outrider type house that accepts people from all cities. But still with clearer distinctions between Kin and Scions
  • AesgarAesgar Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Nazihk said:
    Kez said:
    I don't think Achaea is any less IC than it was when I started playing(1999 I think?). I think it's actually more IC and people just expect more immersion from it, which honestly gets pretty obnoxious from time to time.

It was normal to discuss mechanics and syntax on guild or city because that's how you learned shit. Now if you try it people are all hands in the air fainting woe is me. It feels unwelcoming to be scolded for trying to clear up your confusion on how to do something. IMO only says/yells/shouts are character communication and the rest are player communication but try it and you get whapped. Time spent in a house results in a silly amount of time ushering the IC chatter off HNT so newbies won't be afraid to ask what they need to know.

People frequently blame combatants for breaking immersion, but you know what's not immersive? All things combat. I don't know about you but trying to apply IC explanations to all the things about the game distracts me from the game.

Maybe I'm different, but I don't mind if someone says they need bio or something. It's sometimes necessary to announce afk and for me it translates to "game paused" if that person and I are doing something together. Someone being OOC doesn't actually register in my head as such until someone draws attention to it, and then the annoyance is directed at the person making it a thing. Plus, I feel more community with other players if we communicate more casually instead of being rigidly IC.
    I feel like this heavy push to "You can't talk about anything potentially OOC on CT" has contributed pretty heavily to the way that CT feels like a ghost channel.

Asking your city about your skills over CT is too OOC and will draw a whole lot of self-righteous "He is speaking insanity!" bullshit, so the city needs a special OOC clan so that you can talk about combat! Of course, now that the city has a designated OOC clan, it tends to get used as an OOC clan for talking about everything, not just combat. Kids, dinner, movies, life in general, etc. This is something that they'd almost certainly never do over CT itself, but which feels okay to do on this clan because it's been declared OOC. The end result of this is that the policy ends up increasing the amount of OOC chatter and decreasing immersion while simultaneously removing conversations from CT and making the city appear more empty.

It's counterintuititive, but I feel like allowing the 'OOC' mechanical discussions over CT would actually increase immersion while decreasing the amount of OOC talk in the game.
    Well put.

I stayed away from the Court Coliseum for quite awhile for this very reason. But like you pointed out, the clan is heavily used for other matters, even things that belong on CT rather than the clan in my opinion. Thus, I found myself back in it because it was expected I was listening to that channel. Now I'm just as guilty as the rest of steering the chat off topic. As far as I know, at least a few other cities have similar OOC clans for the same purpose, perhaps something that should be looked into by each respective city leadership.

BadeVessil
Sign In to Comment.