Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

How do people view war in Achaea?

DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember Posts: 6,288 @@ - Legendary Achaean
A simple question, open for everybody.

If your city went to war, how would you feel? Would you participate? If not, what puts you off the idea?

Comments

• GoryllinGoryllin Member Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished

What is war? Its hard to really declare feelings for War when it has such a nebulous meaning in Achaea. Since death isn't permanent, the real impact of war isn't there.

The actual WAR system mechanics are raaarely used, and were kinda forced the time I remember them being used. Yet we have City States in a constant state of 'war' in that both sides are hostile and raid each other.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo DomingoMember Posts: 3,264 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    It depends on the purpose of the war/news post/events surrounding it, for me. Most wars start out being pretty interesting, with great news post from both sides that really make you want to get out there and take a few heads (or try).

But then things drag on and on and on.  Perhaps both sides are evenly matched. Perhaps one side is clearly superior. Whatever the case, no one wants to admit defeat. Ganking becomes rampant (Assuming it wasn't rampant from the start) and you start getting this bitter flavour in your mouth that perhaps you should just stop playing until the war's through.

Except the war ending doesn't alleviate anything, because it usually consists of one party declaring themselves victors after some massively dickish thing.

So... yeah, I don't know. I think in all instances, war is better roleplayed with newsposts and raids than by depending on the war mechanic.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

ValkynSenaAereidhna
  • DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember Posts: 6,288 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Then you get stuff like this:

****************[ Current Relations for the City of Targossas]*****************
    Org             Us                  Them
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ashtan         Neutral             Hostile             
    Mhaldor        Neutral             Hostile                
    Pom            Neutral             Hostile   

Which is strange and confusing.
    DalranAereidhnaAileaAdaele
  • KryptonKrypton shi-KhurenaMember Posts: 2,377 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    If Cyrene declares war on bad grammar, I think we could do some real Good in this world.
    (Mhaldor): Herenicus says, "Apologies, I am in-and-out of hold with Verizon wireless customer service."
    Ahmet
  • QwynQwyn Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Didn't @Tecton's yearly update mention upcoming changes to war, with Houses getting a way to war each other?
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo DomingoMember Posts: 3,264 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Daeir said:

Sometimes you just have to treat mechanics as simple mechanics. No one who knows Targossas thinks they are neutral in the least towards Ashtan or Mhaldor or the Pom.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

Siduri
  • ValkynValkyn Member Posts: 734 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    I agree with what Shirszae's said. Even for a very militaristic city, war is awful. It's just a dragging on piss-fest of ganking and other nasty behaviour on both sides. No thanks!

Siduri
  • GrandueGrandue Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Bring it. 

The winner is the one who has the admin tell them to take it easy because the other side is crying to them because they refuse to admit defeat or surrender IG. 

In all seriousness I would give mad respect to the city that said something like, "We surrender. We'll submit to your stupid requirements if you cease hostilities, though you've not changed our belief, enemy. You've not heard the last from us, enjoy your taste victory for it will turn sour in your mouth when we rise from the ashes."
  • AlucianaAluciana Member Posts: 98 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    War is when Ashtan brings out the big guns and kills everyone everywhere <span>:lol:</span>

• JukilianJukilian Member Posts: 1,579 @ - Epic Achaean
    Traditionally, war typically just brings out the worst in everyone.
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San DiegoMember Posts: 1,906 @ - Epic Achaean
    I was always confused why cities weren't declared against each other.It's like...what's the point.

Maybe if city a destroys city b's rooms enough times in a year city a declares war against city b and all of city a and b's soldiers become 'open pk' .... Which means nothing now lol

• TahquilTahquil Member Posts: 4,378 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I'd like another reckoning purely because I missed the first one
  • JhuiJhui Member Posts: 1,958 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited April 2016
    reckoning was how I got to know @Seragorn @Austere @Qwindor .  Even if you didn't like the reckoning, nothing but positive stuff came out of it. Pretty sure the 'usuals' on each side increased by 5-10 players since it forced people to get to know each other.

That was 2 summers ago, we need another :(

edit: also @Dalran @Atalkez @Fendrel noob squad was the best
    AtalkezAustereExelethrilDalran
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy WindMember, Seafaring Liason Posts: 890 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    wtf @Jhui

whattt we were friends way before that!  I never talked to sera/austere/qwindor before that.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, FloridaMember Posts: 5,086 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited April 2016
    The Reckoning was a really interesting, and probably one of the most successful, event/experiment ran by the Garden. I will always absolutely view war with hopes of achieving that sort of fun scale. It was just so well done.

Exempting the ending, anyway. #foreverbitter
               My wing tips waltz across naive
                     Wood floors they creak
                  Innocently down the stairs

Drag melody
    My percussive feet serve cobweb headaches as a
              Matching set of marching clocks
                The slumbering apparitions
              That they've come to wake up
    JhuiYaeAlrenaExelethril
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy WindMember, Seafaring Liason Posts: 890 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Jhui said:
    whattt we were friends way before that!  I never talked to sera/austere/qwindor before that.
    YEA BUT I MADE TAHT NOOB SQUAD WHAT IT WAS OKAY

Taraus said:
    Jhui said:
    YEA BUT I MADE TAHT NOOB SQUAD WHAT IT WAS OKAY
    being the noob of the non-noob squad doesn't count.  supernoob is its own category
    TarausAtalkez
    And I have no idea what you guys are talking about.... All superboobs to me... Oh wait... Supernoobs

• AtalkezAtalkez Member Posts: 5,047 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Daeir said:

Damn. Don't make me DL, that shit looks terrible.

Would love to see another Reckoning event. Was so fun.

You hug Aurora compassionately.
    Also.. what the fervor is POM ... Pirates of Menzance?

XadenQwyn
  • AtalkezAtalkez Member Posts: 5,047 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Pirates of Meropis.

You hug Aurora compassionately.
    It sounds like Dar is werclared!!

• XadenXaden Member Posts: 2,315 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    To answer the OP I'd be delighted. Any reason to keep me open PK would make me happy. Fairly certain I won't keep my mark membership long because there are so few contracts out there, or I keep missing 'em.

I've a contract right now on someone who I definitely can't duel and win, is veiled and never hunts.

So yeah, bring on war. Targ should always be at open war with someone, hell, make it a yearly cycle, Ashtan713, Mhaldor714, Hashan715, rinse and repeat. Set agreed goals OOCly if need be. Or ICly if at all possible and just have at it.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• RyzethRyzeth Member Posts: 1,105 @ - Epic Achaean
    edited April 2016
    Xaden said:

I've a contract right now on someone who I definitely can't duel and win, is veiled and never hunts.

If you're talking about who I think you're talking about.. You can beat them. Are they capable of fighting back, and maybe even beating you? Sure, but that's always a possibility!

Also said person hunts on like a daily basis. Also you could ask them for a duel, you might be surprised! - We dueled, and you had me about 3 balances away from death :P
  • RangorRangor Member Posts: 3,264 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    The reckoning was awesome, and involved all aspects of the game. Hunting, fighting, boss fights, political upheaval (at least in Eleusis). It made me litteraly sit glued to the text screen for two weeks straight.

Today's war system (or campaign system as aerek more accurately describes it as), is unattractive to me. Sure I don't mind an undefined period of intensified killing, ganking, bashing guards and so on, but it's very draining, everyone starts ranting, it pushes out the not so experienced people instead of involving them... It's just not good for the players.

If pre-planned between the city leaders, where they become Game Masters instead of city leaders, it could be made into something worthwhile.
    ExelethrilRom
  • RohaiRohai Member Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    edited April 2016
    Xaden said:
    So yeah, bring on war. Targ should always be at open war with someone, hell, make it a yearly cycle, Ashtan713, Mhaldor714, Hashan715, rinse and repeat. Set agreed goals OOCly if need be. Or ICly if at all possible and just have at it.
    I tried this a while back. No one was into it, so I dropped it, but we could give it another shot if you think it might gain traction this time around.
  • SaeaSaea Member Posts: 35 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    I think a war between Mhaldor and Targ could be really fun! We seem to be pretty evenly matched.
    XadenXinna
Sign In to Comment.