Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

So, what now?

Comments

• NakariNakari ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Aodfionn said:
    The potential for interesting RP (and for a unique role as a city) is better than it's ever been for you guys, even if it's a little less glaringly obvious than it was. You can definitely thank Verrucht's hard work for that. 
    I'd definitely agree with this, it's just that at the moment, the most rp that appears to be occurring that makes any use of the neutrality is sparring with prior city enemies. Losing devotion was certainly a net positive, but at the moment all the city seems interested in making of it is safer slice-of-life roleplay with an emphasis on keeping it safe.

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USAMember Posts: 1,818 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Aodfionn said:
    The Lumeni had a more comprehensive and cohesive ethos than 90% of the IG religions for each of the various gods. That @Aerek didn't lose his damn mind and rageQQ when that got nuked should be a testament to the man. 
    You can make me blush, but you still have to buy me dinner first.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
    DariJeslynDochithaAziik
  • ExelethrilExelethril Member Posts: 3,352 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited April 2016
    I like Cyrene's peacefulness, caters well to the non-com playerbase that would rather RP peace and quiet, slice of life stuff. I left that city cause Mhaldor would give Cyrene trouble whenever I stepped in to help Eleusis back when Mhaldor would regularly exterminate/curbstomp the noobier Eleusian population 2-3(?) years ago - thrashed most of them good. 

Edit : Would still go back for the peace and quiet, carefree lifestyle.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WAMember Posts: 1,218 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Aerek said:
    Aodfionn said:
    The Lumeni had a more comprehensive and cohesive ethos than 90% of the IG religions for each of the various gods. That @Aerek didn't lose his damn mind and rageQQ when that got nuked should be a testament to the man. 
    You can make me blush, but you still have to buy me dinner first.
    Just as long as we can do IHOP for breakfast.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?" 

(The Targossian Academy): Halos says, "Go on! I need to feel the wind in my hair!"

JeslynBreanAziik
  • KafzielKafziel ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean Member Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    The sheer amount of wall of text posts in this thread really makes me want to roll up a Cyrenian alt and see what people are so passionate about
    QwynNataliiaDochitha
  • DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember Posts: 6,288 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Judging by said wall of texts, they're passionate about a subsection of the community not being heedlessly ostracized for playing the game they want to play.

Combat testing being outlawed is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Understand it in high traffic areas, but everywhere outside of the arena? The fuck?
  • AntidasAntidas Member Posts: 1,497 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited April 2016
    Aodfionn said:
    No one thanked you. You did shit for lulz and ruined hundreds upon hundreds of hard work done by other people. You didn't actually contribute to the decision beyond acting out of (as you admitted at the time) pure boredom, as after you pulled your stunt, the outcome for the Diaspora was being decided by exactly 0 people who had ever been involved in it. You can be proud of that if you want, and you can think of yourself of the hero in retrospect, but let's not try and paint a different story in hindsight than what actually occurred. 

You ruined the work of other people for lulz. You can claim that you were doing it for the good of the game, but your words at the time said otherwise.

I get that people are absolutely glad that there are no more Targ/Cyrene ties, and that a fuckton of the players involved seem to harbor OOC grudges towards the way Targ treated Cyrene - myself included! I just wish someone other than Daeir and myself showed even the slightest twinges of sadness to see a player-run organization die after so much work was put in to it by people from both factions. 

Edit: I disagree with @Nakari. While the loss of the Diaspora/Devotion definitely severed some ties, there's a lot more interfactional interaction and relationship building going on in Cyrene than most people realize - just look at how Mhaldorians and Cyrenians spend time in the city, now. The potential for interesting RP (and for a unique role as a city) is better than it's ever been for you guys, even if it's a little less glaringly obvious than it was. You can definitely thank Verrucht's hard work for that. 
    You can call me a hero, you can call me an asshole, I don't particularly care. And yeah, no one thanked me. I didn't ask for thanks, and my "you're welcome" comment was intentionally sarcastic for just that reason. Believe it or not, however, I don't do things for the "lulz" unless I have a valid reason to do it in the first place.

I'm sorry you feel like I ruined hundreds of hours of hard work done by yourself and Daeir. Really, I am. You of all people should know that I don't actively attempt to ruin people's work, despite what some people might say. However, lets be real here. Cyrene and Targossas should never have been friendly in the first place. In fact, it was borderline OOC that they were at all. Targ's ethos essentially involves a "if you're not with us you're against us" clause, albeit not worded quite like that. Cyrene did not and never would stand with Targossas, so why were they even tolerated? The answer, of course, is because of the OOC investment so many Cyrenian players put into devotion. For good reason, the admins were thus hesitant to allow that split to happen because they knew it would involve a large monetary lose to those players. However, that doesn't mean it was good for the game, and it definitely wasn't good for Targ's new identity as a zealous "Good". You played a role that you enjoyed playing and had fun with, but that should never have exited in the first place.

So yeah, you're right, I absolutely did it "because I could". But there's a hell of a lot of things I could do if I really only dictated my actions by what I find amusing for myself and could successfully perform, and I don't do 95% of those things because it would be a dick move. So don't accuse me of having acted purely for my own amusement and thus ruining everyone's hard work. If I think something suits my character, suits my faction, and is amusing to me, then I do it.

Addendum: this post may sound harsh to Cyrene. It is not meant to be at all. Its no secret I'm not particularly fond of the faction, but it would have been fully outside their RP to support Targossas or act any differently than they did. I am by no means am accusing Cyrene of anything bad at all here.

• TolanTolan ✭✭✭ - Distinguished Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Aegoth said:
    You couldn't have done it if you weren't a serpent though. The real culprit is the class. Delete serpent
    FTFY!

Also, not only is serpent the problem with this whole thing, but serpent is also the problem with worm warp wars, AND shrine wars! Serpents make all these things worse and worse.
    Nataliia
  • KasyaKasya TennesseeMember Posts: 657 @ - Epic Achaean
    After playing a Cyrenian, and then starting up Kasya, I was almost shocked that people were practicing combat outside of the arena and in city limits. Like, my mind was blown that it was a thing that was allowed to happen. ;)
    AntidasSherazad
  • TelendriethTelendrieth ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Kafziel said:
    The sheer amount of wall of text posts in this thread really makes me want to roll up a Cyrenian alt and see what people are so passionate about
    Rum, fizzy lemonade, kawhe, snow.
    Blujixapug
  • KayeilKayeil Washington StateMember Posts: 2,824 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Ahmet said:
    I've been skimming the thread, but yeah there are a few in Cyrene that are a problem. Those who tell people not to defend themselves. Those who thrust their ideals (those not expressly held by the city) on others. Those who take relatively simple and easy to handle problems and shame any who deal with the problem themselves, instead of running it up the ladder, even when it's nobody's business but their own.

It makes me sad when I get bitched out for fifteen minutes straight because I hunt Arcadia, because no proper Cyrenian should do such a thing.

It makes me sad when I get bitched out for fifteen minutes because I found an unlocked door and ended up somewhere I shouldn't be (alone and in another city, mind you), because it 'reflects badly on the intentions of the city and her citizens'.

It makes me sad when I get bitched out over the city channel for making (four) puns about Shallam.

Then again, instances like this make it very clear who in the city's opinion I ignore when it comes to my personal comings and goings.

ANYWAY, back on topic (somewhat), I feel like Cyrene takes a lot of personal drive to avoid feeling like you're not progressing as a character/person/citizen/housemember/whatever. As @Nataliia said, Verrucht has been a great city leader for as long as I've been around, and the leadership keeps things relatively open to the populace, which is brilliant. Cyrene is great because as long as you're looking for something to do or somewhere to be or someone to help/teach/learn from, you'll find it. Cyrene is full of opportunities to do just about whatever your character is into doing, as long as you do a bit of looking. And for those days where you really just don't feel like putting in the effort, you can always find friendly conversation at CC, which can lead all kinds of places.
    Wow what the hell happened to Cyrene? That is certainly not the city I left, and I'm glad I haven't gone back. Cyrene never had any set in stone hunting rules, those really only applied to the devotionists, and if you wanted to be respectful to the Divine citizens... then you left the mountain drakes, dwarves, and Caer Witrin alone. What you do in other cities like exploring is really only your business. I only see it becoming Cyrene's business if you're becoming known for harassing others and are constantly getting reported for things like sexual harassment, then maybe Cyrene would step in and punish or uncitizen, but that's not what you're doing at all. If there's this group of individuals in Cyrene treating others like this and making them afraid to do anything because they'll get yelled at and ostracized, then maybe people should make this group of citizens feel the same way they're treating everyone else. Their welcome to their own set of morals or ideals... if they don't want to hunt Arcadia and whatever else they're angry about, they don't have to, but they need to cut that crap out. And to add to that, Arcadia isn't even allied to Cyrene.... it is allied to Lord Vastar who is a Divine citizen of Ashtan, you know... the Seat of Chaos. lol. 
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

Shirszae
  • MamiMami ✭✭✭ - Distinguished Member Posts: 82 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    edited April 2016
    Kayeil said:
    Ahmet said:
    I've been skimming the thread, but yeah there are a few in Cyrene that are a problem. Those who tell people not to defend themselves. Those who thrust their ideals (those not expressly held by the city) on others. Those who take relatively simple and easy to handle problems and shame any who deal with the problem themselves, instead of running it up the ladder, even when it's nobody's business but their own.

response:

It makes me sad when I get bitched out for fifteen minutes straight because I hunt Arcadia, because no proper Cyrenian should do such a thing.

It makes me sad when I get bitched out for fifteen minutes because I found an unlocked door and ended up somewhere I shouldn't be (alone and in another city, mind you), because it 'reflects badly on the intentions of the city and her citizens'.

It makes me sad when I get bitched out over the city channel for making (four) puns about Shallam.

Then again, instances like this make it very clear who in the city's opinion I ignore when it comes to my personal comings and goings.

ANYWAY, back on topic (somewhat), I feel like Cyrene takes a lot of personal drive to avoid feeling like you're not progressing as a character/person/citizen/housemember/whatever. As @Nataliia said, Verrucht has been a great city leader for as long as I've been around, and the leadership keeps things relatively open to the populace, which is brilliant. Cyrene is great because as long as you're looking for something to do or somewhere to be or someone to help/teach/learn from, you'll find it. Cyrene is full of opportunities to do just about whatever your character is into doing, as long as you do a bit of looking. And for those days where you really just don't feel like putting in the effort, you can always find friendly conversation at CC, which can lead all kinds of places.
    Wow what the hell happened to Cyrene? That is certainly not the city I left, and I'm glad I haven't gone back. Cyrene never had any set in stone hunting rules, those really only applied to the devotionists, and if you wanted to be respectful to the Divine citizens... then you left the mountain drakes, dwarves, and Caer Witrin alone. What you do in other cities like exploring is really only your business. I only see it becoming Cyrene's business if you're becoming known for harassing others and are constantly getting reported for things like sexual harassment, then maybe Cyrene would step in and punish or uncitizen, but that's not what you're doing at all. If there's this group of individuals in Cyrene treating others like this and making them afraid to do anything because they'll get yelled at and ostracized, then maybe people should make this group of citizens feel the same way they're treating everyone else. Their welcome to their own set of morals or ideals... if they don't want to hunt Arcadia and whatever else they're angry about, they don't have to, but they need to cut that crap out. And to add to that, Arcadia isn't even allied to Cyrene.... it is allied to Lord Vastar who is a Divine citizen of Ashtan, you know... the Seat of Chaos. lol. 
    My response is to @Ahmet
     I know at least one very vocal city official who does that even against the simplest things/comments/actions,  and I know new people who had the same experiences you've had. I asked around why she's a leader,  I think it was because of her connections. Seriously, I would not want to get involved with her due to the headache she can cause. I like many people in Cyrene but this particular person just makes it suck so hard especially because she has authority in the city. 
    ShirszaePiera
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the StormMember Posts: 3,178 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Point of order, @Vastar is patron of Ashtan, not a Divine citizen.

And @Ahmet, you are a bad person and you should feel bad for hunting Arcadia, you monster.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • VerruchtVerrucht ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean Member Posts: 269 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Daeir said:
    Judging by said wall of texts, they're passionate about a subsection of the community not being heedlessly ostracized for playing the game they want to play.

Combat testing being outlawed is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Understand it in high traffic areas, but everywhere outside of the arena? The fuck?
    While it is technically illegal, per the Tables, it is tolerated and not penalised when it's in out of the way areas. The grousing that has occurred is mostly because people want to be able to test wherever they want, rather than go to a House hall or some other relatively obscure place.

AereidhnaTelendrieth
  • AereidhnaAereidhna ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean DallasMember Posts: 682 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    edited April 2016
    To be clear, sometimes people do air their own personal feelings against hunting certain areas on CT, however Cyrene only bans the drakes and requests that Caer, dwarves, and tritons/merfolk not be hunted (out of respect for Divine who've served the city - I could be wrong but I think it's only the Virtuosi who outright -ban- Caer). Plenty of people hunt Arcadia, Moghedu, and other places that are contested ethically on a regular basis. Hunting ethics periodically come up on CT, but not EVERY time someone shows up on deathsight or anything like that. Last time I remember a hunting ethic discussion was when Elowin was attacking anyone who hunted Moghedu.

That said, yeah, it does make me sad that there are a few people who are really vocal who jump on certain topics on CT in a way that can quash other views or shame people into silence. I haven't seen any current Senators do that (could just be that I wasn't around at the time), but there are some citizens who have strong opinions on certain things and no issue airing that, and occasionally it can get annoying to listen to (and also occasionally, I think, leave a bad taste in people's mouths - particularly novices, who I worry about most getting the wrong idea that they have to act a certain way).

The no-combat-testing seems to be a respecting sanctity sort of issue - although if you're real quiet about it no one is going to say anything. I'd never bring it up ICly but I've let people hit on me outside of the arena before (regular arrows, throwing axes, hand-to-hand stuff), just not thurisaz or meteor arrows or anything like that (for good reason - if someone is going to be doing that they ought to be in the arena in my opinion, because even with a prior announcement new people waking can be started by it and think the city's being attacked). But I also have 7-8k health so unless someone's really trying I'm not likely to die during combat testing, and killing a fellow Cyrenian outside an arena for reasons other than reincarnation and the like is a serious offense (and that's another law I don't disagree with). We also have a free arena so in my opinion there's no reason to bother with testing things outside of the arena, I've just opted to do that when it was a quick test someone else wanted to do and I was lazy/in the middle of something.
    Klendathu said:
    Point of order, @Vastar is patron of Ashtan, not a Divine citizen.

And @Ahmet, you are a bad person and you should feel bad for hunting Arcadia, you monster.
    Still makes Him a citizen, just like Lady Pandora and Lord Babel, and would still be one if switched with Lord Babel for Patron. If He has access to Ct, then He's a Divine citizen.

• VerruchtVerrucht ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean Member Posts: 269 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Kayeil said:
    Ahmet said:

Yeah, no clue. None of that is in the city rules and nobody should be bitching at someone else for where they hunt. Verrucht always just says that he wouldn't, but that people are free to hunt as they wish. Of course, people don't make Verrucht aware of stuff like this either, so it's all whatever.

KayeilAereidhnaTelendrieth
    Verrucht said:
    Kayeil said:
    Ahmet said:

Yeah, no clue. None of that is in the city rules and nobody should be bitching at someone else for where they hunt. Verrucht always just says that he wouldn't, but that people are free to hunt as they wish. Of course, people don't make Verrucht aware of stuff like this either, so it's all whatever.
    I kind of figured it wasn't your fault, you're not the type to just let people act this way, so yeah... maybe you people with complaints/concerns and incidences you can speak of, you should probably bring this up IC.

• SilvarienSilvarien ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Aegoth said:
    Kill everyone in sight. Dodge issues like parkour. Holocaust the game. Write sweet love poetry to Glorious Leader-chan
    @Aegoth : This makes me shed a tear of joy, for the infinite wonder and warmth inherent in Mhaldorian human beings. Truly, when all seems dark and hopeless, we can count on Mhaldor to make that grim reality into a safe place of happy frolicking nymphs and hot and bothered dryads.
    Sherazad
  • TvistorTvistor Member Posts: 2,900 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I just wanted to add that @Antidas is history's greatest monster and that I would burn him at the stake were I not concerned about offending the gods of fire with my wretched offering.
    Antidas
  • AereidhnaAereidhna ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean DallasMember Posts: 682 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    edited April 2016
    Re: Combat testing specifically...in light of what @Aerek said regarding it being unrealistic to be in the arena for hours on end, and in light of the fact that maybe people won't want to do things that violate the law, tolerated or no...

I haven't seen anyone bring this before the Senate, but I could see a only-in-House halls (at the HL's discretion, I don't see it being something the Virtuosi would allow), LoS/hand-to-hand only (e.g. not thurisaz or meteor arrows or anything loud), avoid killing each other as much as possible/go into the arena if there's a reasonable fear of killing each other proposal getting decent support, unless I'm entirely misreading the current political climate. The Senate's unanimously passed other things the Shield has asked for. Maybe this was brought up before I started playing Aerei and I'm being ignorant of some history, but regardless, things have changed a lot in the past 30 IC years for Cyrene. Just something to ponder.
  • QwynQwyn ✭✭✭ - Distinguished Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Cyrene should convince @tecton to import sparring rooms. And then give them to everyone else too....
    TolanTahquil
  • TolanTolan ✭✭✭ - Distinguished Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Qwyn said:
    Cyrene should convince @tecton to import sparring rooms. And then give them to everyone else too....
    Wow. I was just about to post something like this. Except I was calling them Training rooms. And they should be available for houses to buy for their house estates. You would still use herbs, you would still use poisons and elixirs and all that fun stuff. Only difference, is you just don't die.
    AereidhnaQwyn
  • MinifieMinifie Member Posts: 2,367 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Qwyn said:
    Is this before or after you  beg him for the mouse academy?

(Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Taryius says, "Oops, thats not a foray. Thats two novices going at it in the wilderness."
    Qwyn
    Qwyn said:
    Already thought about asking for a permission door off the arena for Cyrenians.

Aereidhna
  • TahquilTahquil Member Posts: 4,374 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    To bad our patron is dormant and there is no suitable replacement!
  • BlujixapugBlujixapug Member Posts: 1,833 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Aerek said:

Right now, Cyrene just exists. It's doing fine, it has lots of people who like to live there, but I don't feel it has any real goals or motivations. Sometimes it only feels "inclusive" if you fit a certain profile, and sometimes it's a headache to play there if you don't.
    This is how Cyrene has come across for the entire time I've played this game. Very insular, always preferring to organise festivals over pushing an ideology out into the world, and about as cliquey as a Kentucky PTA board. Full of ostensibly nice people, but no less insular and cliquey for it. Like, I remember the Arcanists being taken over by the Lupine Order to the extent that the entire guild was remodeled around Lupus and hunting. That level of cliquiness puts even the Occultists or pre-autoclass forestals to shame.

Its combatants always grappled with the city's ideology. Either you were Sir Noble Knight, image and manner first, practising combat behind closed doors, or you joined another city if combat was your true interest.

Cliques, bureaucracy, and passive aggression are how you defeat opposing viewpoints while maintaining disdain for actual aggression. It's the Cyrenian way.
    MinifieSkyeDochitha
Sign In to Comment.