Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

So, what now?

DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember Posts: 6,288 @@ - Legendary Achaean
What do you do to keep Achaea fun when things begin to get stale?

A very open-ended question for sure, but I'm curious to see what people say.
Utianima

Comments

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna beMember Posts: 3,370 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Daeir said:
    What do you do to keep Achaea fun when things begin to get stale?

A very open-ended question for sure, but I'm curious to see what people say.
    Ragequit your city and find a new one seems to be a popular option.
    Huh. Neat.
  • DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember Posts: 6,288 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Been there, done that. Would rather not repeat.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington StateMember Posts: 2,824 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    New goals help. Also, my closest friends are my rock when everything else seems pointless and worth giving up on. I care about my friends a lot, and vice versa, and we all do what we can to help each other out through those periods of, "Why the fuck am I even still here?" Several years going, no dormancies in that time between most of us.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

UtianimaHalos
  • JaceroJacero Member Posts: 37 ✭✭ - Stalwart
    It's likely time to go do something else. It's clear to me that you don't really enjoy playing anymore and you feel obligated to stay.
  • PeregrinoPeregrino Member Posts: 76 ✭✭ - Stalwart
    I'm going to get into mining, sounds amusing.  The drama over Proficy's mining dominance also sounds funny.
    Murad exclaims, "I give you Questing Cats!"
    Utianima
  • JacenJacen Member Posts: 2,305 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Dunn said:
    Download Stardew Valley from Steam. See you in a year or so. 
    Dude wtf. I was just getting back into Achaea, too. Goodbye freetime
    Janna
  • DochithaDochitha Member Posts: 1,413 @ - Epic Achaean
    Duel Yudhi, then Ugrach. 
    UtianimaMindshell
  • JeslynJeslyn United StatesMember Posts: 482 @ - Epic Achaean
    Melodie said:
    Jacen said:
    Dunn said:
    Dude wtf. I was just getting back into Achaea, too. Goodbye freetime
    Oh my god it's like a Harvest Moon game and it looks adorable what have you done, @Dunn.
    Don't tell me that!!!!! I'm downloading right when I get home. Harvest moon is like crack. XD
    MelodieJanna
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo DomingoMember Posts: 3,265 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    It seems like just another Harvest Moon clone, though. I mean, Harvest Moon was awesome, yeah, but...

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WAMember Posts: 1,218 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Stop playing. Come back in 3 years with newfound sense of wonder when most of the people you know are either dormant/retired, and can immerse yourself in a new scene without dealing with the headaches from before. Works wonders. 
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?" 

(The Targossian Academy): Halos says, "Go on! I need to feel the wind in my hair!"

TrillianaQuisseHalosJanna
    Aodfionn said:
    Stop playing. Come back in 3 years with newfound sense of wonder when most of the people you know are either dormant/retired, and can immerse yourself in a new scene without dealing with the headaches from before. Works wonders. 
    Can attest to this fact. Ahmet was a 'fuck it im coming back' alt and look where he is now!

(still useless and underleveled :()
    Huh. Neat.
    PieraJanna
  • DunnDunn Member, Secret Squirrel Posts: 6,233 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    You're all welcome. ;)

Woke up to a steam message from Kinilan endorsing the game. Many hours later...

Janna
  • SaevaSaeva Member Posts: 1,944 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Definitely play other games for a bit. But when I still feel stale I try to round up groups of people, friends, strangers, citymates or not, and go strike up a random adventure. You learn new things about new people or places. You hear stories or share them. See or learn about things from a different perspective. Get everyone killed sometimes. I don't know, I just think usually rounding up groups is a great way to keep things alive.

HalosJannaMithil
  • TrillianaTrilliana Member Posts: 1,989 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I'm currently in the "take a break" category. But I'd honestly say try to learn about something you didn't know about - like finding an Order member of a God that died and learn all you can. Then again, that's my opinion.
    meh

JannaUtianima
  • AereidhnaAereidhna DallasMember Posts: 682 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    edited February 2016
    Goals goals goals. I have a list that'll take me at least 300 years to manage, and I'm sure by then, the admins will have come up with more stuff to do/learn/master.

Make new friends.

RPWHO. Find people to do one-on-one longform emoting-style RP with. It's fun and immersive and I adore it and often don't have as much time to do it as I wish I did.

Think of ways you can give back that you enjoy. I love working with novices. I do that a lot because it's fulfilling and doesn't burn me out.

Find things that you can keep doing over and over in new ways. Combat - always new strategies to learn, save up to multiclass, even MORE new strategies to learn. Design - always new things to design. Etc.

Edited to add...in the past, I've taken years-long breaks, started new mains, etc. to help deal with staleness and also with fallout. That's worked pretty well for me. With retirement it makes things even better. Starting over can be a huge relief sometimes.

Playing other games is definitely a good option. I never could get heavily into anything besides Achaea, but I've played other IRE games here and there and Steam games, tabletop, etc. periodically.
    TrillianaUtianimaBelerofon
  • JonathinJonathin Grand Rapids, MIMember Posts: 3,323 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Game gets stale after a while no matter what. I go dormant for a while and come back to make new friends.

My site will remain up, but will not be maintained. The repository will continue to have scripts added to it if I decide to play another game. Maybe I'll see you around in Starmourn!
    Tutorials and scripts  The Repository

• AegothAegoth Member Posts: 2,800 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Kill everyone in sight. Dodge issues like parkour. Holocaust the game. Write sweet love poetry to Glorious Leader-chan
    MindshellAereidhnaXinna
    Aegoth said:
    Kill everyone in sight. Dodge issues like parkour. Holocaust the game. Write sweet love poetry to Glorious Leader-chan
    Whenever a thread needs just that little touch of homicidal levity, you can count on @Aegoth.
    Huh. Neat.
    Jeslyn
  • KietKiet Member Posts: 3,263 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    No offense Daeir but I've seen you post this topic like 5 times now. Maybe now's just not the time for Achaea in your life? You can come back in a year, or two, or five (like I did), but forcing yourself to play is just going to make you more and more bitter/jaded.
    TrillianaSiduriMamiUtianima
  • AtalkezAtalkez Member Posts: 5,048 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    @Daeir ;

Honours lines!

You hug Aurora compassionately.
    AodfionnAustereAereidhna
  • TaeltwoTaeltwo Member Posts: 55 ✭✭ - Stalwart
    edited March 2016
    Retire and start anew somewhere else? Maybe just take a break?

I've regained interest in the past by focusing on having more smallscale roleplaying encounters - make the game interesting for other people and it'll usually end up more interesting for you too.

Or (re)dedicate yourself to some new, specific goal. Roleplaying Chaos along party lines offers a lot of depth, but roleplaying some more specific in-character goal a la Flair can offer way more. It seems to work especially well if you can find something that qualifies as a sort of heresy, but not so serious a heresy that you get kicked out. It can still be fun if you get kicked out, but you want supporters equally excited and willing to be kicked out with you or you'll end up alone and bored. If you have a cool idea, it's not necessarily impossible to find those players, especially others who are feeling a little bored.

As an example, I never got around to doing much with it, but when I was playing Tael one storyline I always had floating around was promoting the idea that Evil wasn't actually dependent on Sartan - that the full realisation of Evil necessarily involves labouring to surpass and ultimately overcome Sartan. If I hadn't retired, I probably would have eventually come back and explored that more seriously.
    TrillianaUtianima
  • KietKiet Member Posts: 3,263 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I would not recommend heresy RP. If you're not at the level of Flair (and you're probably not, few people are), you'll just be ridiculed and ignored at best, which isn't usually very fun. Flair is great because he's one of a kind, if like 20 Flairs pop up no one's going to care.

Flair was also speaking 'heresy' against an inactive goddess with a very small and fractured active support base. Trying that against like evil/good as they stand now with very strong theology (even if inactive gods) is going to be very much uphill.
    TrillianaTexelTelendrieth
  • EsmeEsme Member Posts: 83 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Dunn said:
    This was suppose to be a productive week for me. I can't believe you've done this.
    MelodieJanna
Sign In to Comment.