Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Directory fixes/updates

DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember Posts: 6,292 @@ - Legendary Achaean
Directories are a pretty good QoL introduction to the game, but they need some serious tweaking. Here's what I propose to fix them:

• Tie the DIRECTORY function to be used in a single room in each city - tethered either to that room, or to a directory type object. Aids in RP and introducing people to the system IC.
  • Make a city privilege setting that enables/disables the price listing inside the DIRECTORY command. Allow the privilege to specify who can see the price listing inside the command, and offer the option set unique levels of access for the following roles: non-enemies, citizens, minister/governance.
This affords the means for individual states to discern what effect the DIRECTORY command will have on their immediate economies, and also allows for the system to be hinged in some sort of IC object/paradigm as opposed to being a nebulous ENTER THIS AND GET OUTPUT command like it currently is.
Aerek

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo DomingoMember Posts: 3,353 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Like I said in the other thread, you won't achieve much by hiding the price but keeping the list of items. At most it'll just delay the effect, as people will still dash from one shop to the other, but already knowing where what they want is, and so only comparing prices. 

Personally, I rather like it, but I can see the point of people like @Grandue and @Skye. And I am not personally fond of the idea of everything costing 1gp

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• JubalJubal Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2016
    [Context: I am *not* a shop owner]

I feel the DIRECTORY command shouldn't be global. I think it should be localized city by city and only function while within a city. I like the fact that the shops in each city have their own supply and demand economy, that certain things are generally more expensive in different cities. I do not like the idea of a globally normalized price. We already have the MARKET for that.

Please restrict the DIRECTORY command to function only within a city.

EDIT: My bad. I misunderstood the announcement which said "This command can be done from anywhere".
    Jubal said:

I feel the DIRECTORY command shouldn't be global. I think it should be localized city by city and only function while within a city. I like the fact that the shops in each city have their own supply and demand economy, that certain things are generally more expensive in different cities. I do not like the idea of a globally normalized price. We already have the MARKET for that.

Er, it already only works within cities :/

• KayeilKayeil Washington StateMember Posts: 2,824 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I think taking the price away is a good compromise. There'll still be people too lazy to go from shop to shop to look at the prices, or ones who don't care enough if they're paying a bit more than other places.

What I have noticed when using this command in Ashtan is that it comes up with some places I've yet to find or have access to...

Fog of Creation and... A spacious walk-in closet, in the (it cuts off).
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• KayeilKayeil Washington StateMember Posts: 2,824 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I should add by taking away the prices, if I do DIRECTORY DRESS,  if I pick a dress I like that is in multiple shops, I highly doubt I'm gonna bother running around for the cheapest possible one unless some silly person tries pricing it at some ridiculously high price like 20k.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• KezKez Member Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Would like it to adjust the prices to reflect the price policies. I can DIR HEALTH and see it for 200 in a shop, go there and the policy makes it 180.

Wouldn't mind DIR being an available alias for directory too.

Also, if this could be cut down in some way...maybe just mention it once per shop or show what it looks like on wares instead of a list of every single item?
    250gp      an orb sigil                       Crystal Lightning

I'm not sure why it would need to be restricted to a specific room or why it should be given to the city's control. It is only information and as far as I can figure it is in no way tactical. I am not a database of all possibilities, so I would love to hear explanations about why this would need to be controlled.

I understand the concerns about prices dropping to 1 but I disagree with it. I'm not saying prices won't bottom out, just that it has nothing to do with this. Nobody needs to invest in a shop, pay taxes or rent, risk losses on a large scale when they can make a one-time purchase of a marketeer's license for a much broader reach.
  • RodhelRodhel Member Posts: 40
    DIR as a synonym for DIRECTORY would be nice yeah.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna beMember Posts: 3,370 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited February 2016
    Shirszae said:
    Jubal said:

Unless it was recently fixed, this is false.

EDIT: False in the context of being able to use it in any area. Not false meaning that using DIRECTORY from anywhere will list prices for every shop.
    Huh. Neat.
    edited February 2016
    Ahmet said:
    Shirszae said:
    Jubal said:

Unless it was recently fixed, this is false.

EDIT: False in the context of being able to use it in any area. Not false meaning that using DIRECTORY from anywhere will list prices for every shop.
    From the moment it was implemented, it has only ever worked inside cities (Including Delos) for me. If I try to use it anywhere else I get 'No shops were found to search.'

Edit: Oh, it also works in any area that has shops. I don't see the problem with that, really. 

Austere
    Wasn't saying it was a problem. Simply pointing out that it works elsewhere.

And @Tecton I find it hilarious that Ashtan's fog room sells journals. Pls fix.
    Huh. Neat.
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the GodsAdministrator Posts: 2,507 Admin
    Ahmet said:

I'll leave it in there just so you can never find it.
    Dalran
    Tecton said:
    Ahmet said:

I'll leave it in there just so you can never find it.
    But I already have all the gmcp data for every area's Fog rooms! You're just taunting the rest of the explorers. Word of warning, they might riot!

On the other hand... gauntlet acknowledged, challenge accepted, war of attrition begun. Les do this mofo.
    Huh. Neat.
  • AegothAegoth Member Posts: 2,840 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    There's absolutely no need to directory to stop listing prices. It works the exactl same way in other IRE games. In fact, here's how it looks in Lusternia:

************************[ Local shops selling healing ]************************
    Shop                      Description                           Stock    Price 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Golden Hook           a Scroll of Healing                       9    200gp
    Devourers' Delight        a Scroll of Healing                       1    400gp
    *******************************************************************************

***********************[ Aether manses selling healing ]***********************
    Manse Name            Description                               Stock    Price 
    1030  bettys          a potion of healing (keg refills)            99    110gp
    1030  bettys          a potion of healing (keg refills)           100    110gp
    761   Engebkuil       a Scroll of Healing                           2    600gp
    54    Squid           a potion of healing (keg refills)            66    120gp
    54    Squid           a potion of healing (keg refills)            52    120gp
    54    Squid           a potion of healing (keg refills)            76    120gp
    54    Squid           a potion of healing (keg refills)           100    120gp
    54    Squid           a potion of healing (keg refills)            22    120gp
    620   Grey            a Scroll of Healing                          17    500gp
    757   Wyrden          a potion of healing (keg refills)            70    120gp
    757   Wyrden          a potion of healing (keg refills)           100    120gp
    1295  Candyfox        a potion of healing (keg refills)            22    120gp

Hasn't killed the economy. No one's bitched about it listing prices. Why is it that only Achaea seems to have the most prodigious naysayers about the most ridiculous things? Directories are for the convenience of BUYERS, not the sellers. Don't change a damn thing, @Tecton. Thanks for making it easier for us!
    AustereIsmayElowin
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San DiegoMember Posts: 1,906 @ - Epic Achaean
    Blame the internet

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, FloridaMember Posts: 5,147 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Aegoth said:
    There's absolutely no need to directory to stop listing prices. It works the exactl same way in other IRE games. In fact, here's how it looks in Lusternia:

************************[ Local shops selling healing ]************************
    Shop                      Description                           Stock    Price 
    The Golden Hook           a Scroll of Healing                       9    200gp
    Devourers' Delight        a Scroll of Healing                       1    400gp

***********************[ Aether manses selling healing ]***********************
    Manse Name            Description                               Stock    Price 
    761   Engebkuil       a Scroll of Healing                           2    600gp
    54    Squid           a potion of healing (keg refills)            66    120gp
    54    Squid           a potion of healing (keg refills)            52    120gp
    54    Squid           a potion of healing (keg refills)            76    120gp
    54    Squid           a potion of healing (keg refills)            22    120gp
    620   Grey            a Scroll of Healing                          17    500gp
    757   Wyrden          a potion of healing (keg refills)            70    120gp
    1295  Candyfox        a potion of healing (keg refills)            22    120gp

Hasn't killed the economy. No one's bitched about it listing prices. Why is it that only Achaea seems to have the most prodigious naysayers about the most ridiculous things? Directories are for the convenience of BUYERS, not the sellers. Don't change a damn thing, @Tecton. Thanks for making it easier for us!
    Smaller playerbase, overall less competition, as well as more wares to be had (Lusternia has way more crafting skills at the least, and there's probably other things I'm missing that help).
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
    Shirszae
    So why not make changes in that direction? Expand our crafting system, for instance? Why limit, when we can expand
    Qwyn
    That it works like this in other games doesn't mean it has to work like this here. It has been proved a thousand times with things people have actually wanted imported from other games that the admins have refused to. I think it is only fair that this runs a two-way. It'd be nice, at least. Personally, for me, just knowing where potash is being sold is enough. That in itself already cuts the usual dashing about by half.

Kayeil
    @Aegoth Because @Sarapis has unfortunately said no more crafting skills like tailoring and jewellery will be introduced.

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USAMember Posts: 1,818 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited February 2016
    Agree with both of these ideas. I wholly support DIRECTORY as a means to make finding desired wares (especially in regard to equipping new players) less of a hassle and headache, but as implemented, I do think it represents another step away from an immersive world in favor of convenience, and does have a pretty huge impact on the freedom of shopkeepers to compete and turn profits.
    • Tying it to a city item or location (Cyrene already maintains a "directory" journal for example) would help hand-wave away the inexplicable omniscient knowledge of where every single item in the city is sold. Yes, I'm making a "my immersion!" argument.
    • I do think listing price removes the freedom of shopkeepers to play the economic minigame. While I think some of the immediate text-wall laments by shopkeepers have exaggerated a bit, I recognize the basis of their concerns as valid: it essentially mandates that everyone charge the exact same price (Which will quickly race to the bottom) to have real hope of moving merchandise, which puts ALL the power in the buyer's hand, and makes owning a shop a very low-margin affair for a high volume of work. I don't think that's really fair to them or desirable as a system.
    • Not listing price does not harm the consumer, they still know exactly where to get what they're looking for. If they don't care about price, they buy the first one the come across and move along; if they do want a good deal, a little walking around to check prices isn't unreasonable to ask, since they know exactly where to look. Shopkeepers, on the other hand, regain the freedom and ability to capitalize on prime shop locations, personal reputations, and consumer laziness to try and turn a little more of a profit, which seems completely fair to me for the amount of time and effort that owning/managing a shop does take.
    Perhaps it hasn't spelled doom for the other games, (I'd want to hear from a shopkeeper in those games, about how desirable shopkeeping is under that system) and perhaps it wouldn't be the end of the world here, but I can say I absolutely would not want to run a shop in any game that listed price, because I'd be forced to make pennies on the dollar, not worth the time/effort involved. It's one thing to lose business to a lower-priced competitor by word-of-mouth, it's a different for game systems to offer instant, effortless knowledge of the lowest prices in town, thereby making that price the price ceiling.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
    JaceroShirszae
  • QwynQwyn Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Aerek said:
    Agree with both of these ideas. I wholly support DIRECTORY as a means to make finding desired wares (especially in regard to equipping new players) less of a hassle and headache, but as implemented, I do think it represents another step away from an immersive world in favor of convenience, and does have a pretty huge impact on the freedom of shopkeepers to compete and turn profits.
    • Tying it to a city item or location (Cyrene already maintains a "directory" journal for example) would help hand-wave away the inexplicable omniscient knowledge of where every single item in the city is sold. Yes, I'm making a "my immersion!" argument.
    • I do think listing price removes the freedom of shopkeepers to play the economic minigame. While I think some of the immediate text-wall laments by shopkeepers have exaggerated a bit, I recognize the basis of their concerns as valid: it essentially mandates that everyone charge the exact same price (Which will quickly race to the bottom) to have real hope of moving merchandise, which puts ALL the power in the buyer's hand, and makes owning a shop a very low-margin affair for a high volume of work. I don't think that's really fair to them or desirable as a system.
    • Not listing price does not harm the consumer, they still know exactly where to get what they're looking for. If they don't care about price, they buy the first one the come across and move along; if they do want a good deal, a little walking around to check prices isn't unreasonable to ask, since they know exactly where to look. Shopkeepers, on the other hand, regain the freedom and ability to capitalize on prime shop locations, personal reputations, and consumer laziness to try and turn a little more of a profit, which seems completely fair to me for the amount of time and effort that owning/managing a shop does take.
    Perhaps it hasn't spelled doom for the other games, (I'd want to hear from a shopkeeper in those games, about how desirable shopkeeping is under that system) and perhaps it wouldn't be the end of the world here, but I can say I absolutely would not want to run a shop in any game that listed price, because I'd be forced to make pennies on the dollar, not worth the time/effort involved. It's one thing to lose business to a lower-priced competitor by word-of-mouth, it's a different for game systems to offer instant, effortless knowledge of the lowest prices in town, thereby making that price the price ceiling.
    If you don't post prices, people will just go to the shop that shows up first on the list.

I was a pretty big shopkeeper in Aetolia. I used directory to draw people to my shop with cheap essentials (cures etc) but charged above average for things like crafted goods. It worked out well. It was also nice for playing tactical - for example, I'd force minor shortages if I saw that people only had low stocks of a certain thing. I'd buy them out and resell for higher which gradually increased the average prices of certain things that weren't super plentiful. The directory made it easier to play economics, it didn't hinder it.
    edited February 2016
    @Qwyn As has been stated, Aetolia has far more crafting skills than Achaea. Here, basically a shop's profit revolve around the essentials from what I've seen. Here it would just force everyone to the lowest possible price, and even if dress/jewellery took up the slack (Which I doubt they would) they just last far too long to have shops revolve around.

Also, I don't really think people will just shop on the first shop that appears. People already dashed through whole cities comparing prices. They are likely to do the same still, only now they will have less of a hassle doing it.

• QwynQwyn Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    edited February 2016
    Sorry by crafted goods I more meant things like enchants, armor, weapons, venoms, food. Clothing, jewelry and rpish stuff sold, but not nearly at the rate that combat supplies did. The directory when it was introduced did little to change my intake, but I tended to scope out other shops and adjust prices anyways before the addition, so that could be a factor.

I do think people, especially new/returning/people in a hurry, would be more likely to go to the first spot on the list, or at least search down the list until they came to a price they felt was good enough, in which case you're at the mercy of something silly like vnums or stocking order, depending on how it's coded.

Semi tangential- do you guys really not have shop logs?!?! 
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess BellatereMember, Seafaring Liason Posts: 3,169 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    @Qwyn I'm curious, how much did it cost to purchase a shop in Aetolia? 

Our last one went for  23,000,500 golden sovereigns by auction for an empty newly-built shop in Delos. By the current IG exchange rate, that's 3538cr 

Unless you're seriously super rich or know someone who's decided to give it all up and bequeath a shop to you, you're shit out of luck to own one. Wanting to lease as a rogue is another headache because citizens looking to rent will take priority. What also drives up the price is that people are ultimately paying for the use of a non-decay room. You'll see a lot of shops selling limited edition items or using the shop as a gallery to display their loot. Also, the freehold, especially in Delos, is a killer which is why you get some shops there being owned by people who have nothing to sell but refuse to give it up because it's such a commodity. /shoprant 

• TaeltwoTaeltwo Member Posts: 55 ✭✭ - Stalwart
    edited February 2016
    Unless you're buying something super-expensive, running all around comparing prices is probably counterproductive. You're likely spending more time than the gold you're saving is worth. Even if you're not, the loss for most purchases is still so minimal compared to gold sources in the game that I don't know many people who shop around for normal things.

Even ignoring that, If people really are comparing prices with it more than they used to and going to the appropriate shops, that just means that competition is going to play a larger part. I don't really see how that's bad.

If competition drives prices down, that just means that they hadn't reached equilibrium before. And while lower prices will mean less revenue and shops are already very expensive, in the long run if shops become less profitable, their price probably goes down (though Skye's point about people valuing shops for more than just money-making does present a problem).

do sympathise with the point about how OOC this feels though. Shopping around for clothes and other items and remembering which shops have cures and all that has always been a fun part of the game and I'm not sure what to think about abstracting it out like this. I suppose you can just choose not to use the system, but personally I'd rather it be something like:

DIRECTORY SHIRT

And then it shows you a list of all of the shops in the city that sell shirts - you have to actually go to them if you want to see anything about them (their short description, price, etc.). So it narrows down your shopping around (you don't have to visit shops that don't have any shirts) instead of just replacing it wholesale. Tying the command to a particular room with an actual directory in it would be even better.

But that's not because there's some economic problem with the current implementation. It just seems really, really metagamey to me. But ultimately it's whatever - I probably just won't use it, but I can believe that there probably are some people who don't enjoy the whole in-game shopping experience.
  • TreyTrey Member Posts: 4,819 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I agree with the metagamey part of that. Honestly it feels like a tool that should be for level 30-under to help familiarize novices with the shops in their city, who stocks what and all.

Shirszae
  • SenaSena Member Posts: 3,957 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Taeltwo said:
    Unless you're buying something super-expensive, running all around comparing prices is probably counterproductive. You're likely spending more time than the gold you're saving is worth. Even if you're not, the loss for most purchases is still so minimal compared to gold sources in the game that I don't know many people who shop around for normal things.

Even ignoring that, If people really are comparing prices with it more than they used to and going to the appropriate shops, that just means that competition is going to play a larger part. I don't really see how that's bad.
    Wandering all over Ashtan to find decent prices when buying sigils (to resigil my house and a few extra eyes and monoliths to carry around) takes me about 5 minutes, and often saves me 2-3k total, comparing the cheapest prices to the prices I find first (usually most prices are closer to the high end, with just one or two shops having the low prices). At the same time, if I find a shop that's probably not the cheapest, but isn't as expensive as others and has everything I need in stock, I'll usually just settle for that instead of trying to find the lowest price.

With a directory showing the prices in every shop, shops don't have the chance to get that extra gold from me because they're well stocked but not the cheapest; having everything I need in one shop doesn't matter as much because the main benefit for me as a buyer is that I don't have to spend time searching, and the directory almost eliminates search time (leaving just travel time, which is usually minimal even without autowalking).

Rather than "competition is going to play a larger part", it eliminates (or at least greatly reduces the importance of) most elements of competition, reducing it to a single dimension (price).
    KayeilShirszae
    Tha's purely speculation, @Sena, and evidence from other games show this is not the case. The trend leans towards more healthy competition, not less
    edited February 2016
    You speak of entitlement, and then go on this long-winded treatise about how you deserve to price high, and how you deserve to not have to endure customer loss due to lower pricing. I'm not sure whether or not your economic theory is sound. If people are lowering prices that much, it's because the intrinsic value of that commodity has dropped. That's the natural order of things. You think that becausr there's a huge surplus, prices shouldnt be abysmally low? That makes 0 sense at all. Having directories list prices will do nothing to change this. You are just ypset because of an imaginary economic boogeyman that appeared literally out of nowhere, with 0 evidence to back it up. I keep saying, other IRE games havent suffered. You argue like a republican against universal healthcare. This price-war existed before directories because of the huge surplus, not ecause people could magically see prices, so forgive me if your post reeks of entitlement itself

In otherwords, we should focus on the root of your complaint: excess surplus, rather than poke at something that makes shopping convenient for people (a nonfactor, relatively)
  • JacenJacen Member Posts: 2,307 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Prices shouldn't be hidden because some sellers will sell for cheaper than you, though. 

You have some great points though. In a game where a significant amount of people value their time investment at 0, you're always going to be at a disadvantage if you want to actually gain money through operating a business. This is kind of the same point as the one I made about veils earlier, but I think these are problems with the economy that need fixes to the economy, and not patchwork fixes through obscuring pricing information.
    AegothIsmay
Sign In to Comment.