Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Pockets

2»

Comments

• TeshaTesha Member Posts: 2,935 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I think the inclusion of pockets would give benefit the game more than any harm to the theft system would harm it. I've heard about very few good thieves, but I've heard a lot more about jerk ones. Any system that works the best when targeting new players, returning players, or disconnected players isn't a very well-designed system. I'd be fine if we had to get rid of theft for pockets, let alone worrying about pockets making theft "too difficult". Losing irreplaceable items or vast amounts of gold sucks.

i'm a rebel

• DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember Posts: 6,288 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    See? Even Tesha approves skin pockets for Xorans. This has to be a thing now.
  • TaelTael Member Posts: 1,197 @ - Epic Achaean
    edited September 2015
    Tesha said:
    I think the inclusion of pockets would give benefit the game more than any harm to the theft system would harm it. I've heard about very few good thieves, but I've heard a lot more about jerk ones. Any system that works the best when targeting new players, returning players, or disconnected players isn't a very well-designed system. I'd be fine if we had to get rid of theft for pockets, let alone worrying about pockets making theft "too difficult". Losing irreplaceable items or vast amounts of gold sucks.
    The chance to steal an "irreplacable item" now is essentially nonexistent (though I really, really don't understand why there's even a small chance).

And stealing a ton of gold from someone requires them just sitting there doing absolutely nothing letting you pickpocket them over and over. On top of requiring that they don't have the single trigger that stops you. On top of requiring you to be carrying a ton of gold instead of keeping any of it in a bank.

It's pretty damn hard to be a jerk thief anymore.

As for systems that work the best when targeting new players, returning players, or disconnected players - almost all systems will be like that. Those are also the groups of people who are easiest to kill - but I don't think combat is a poorly-designed system.

The problem isn't that it's easiest to steal from newbies - in fact, it's usually not very lucrative to steal from them anyway. The problem is that they're the only target. Anyone else is impossible to steal from, so you have no choice but to steal from newbies if you want to try to pickpocket anyone.

There's a pretty easy solution though:
    1. Make selfishness unstrippable and generosity unforceable.
    2. Put a short (5-10s) cooldown on turning selfishness on/off (necessary to create windows of opportunity for pickpocketing people if selfishness can't be stripped).
    3. Only allow one successful pickpocket on a target per Achaean day.
    4. Make pickpocket ignore whether gold is in containers.
    That eliminates the potential for big losses from being disconnected because you can't pickpocket the same person over and over, makes selfishness useful, means you know when you have to worry about theft (and that time isn't "always", but rather when you lower selfishness), allows more meaningful windows of opportunity for theft (pickpocketing someone while they're shopping makes a lot of thematic sense anyway), removes the problems pockets present, and, with selfishness so low in survival, gives newbies an equal footing (that doesn't require any scripting).
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TNMember Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Problem with theft imo, is your getting nothing unless your stealing from newbies or afker's. For some reason Newbies usually have a ton of gold on them also.

Out of the few people i've robbed that wasn't newbies and wasn't afk it made me feel terrible because they were running around in a panic on a cell phone or something because they're computer had broke or something along those lines.

• NaverreNaverre Member Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    I occasionally find a person who I can steal from, but it's usually someone under 30. Even completely AFK people have good enough reflexes that it's next to impossible to get anything off of them. Theft is pretty much dead in Achaea, which is sad. It was such a neat mechanic that few MMO's have.

Anyway, I apologize for turning this thread into a 'buff/remove theft' thread. I didn't mean to, honest.

Purely on the subject of pockets from a non-thief viewpoint, I like the idea. Maybe limit the amount of things you can keep is one per pocket, and multiple pockets can be sown in to a certain limit for a type of  clothing. Of course, this still leads to the distressing incident of someone sticking the corpse of a dragon in the pocket of their skinny jeans, but then, Achaea has always had some suspension of disbelief.
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TNMember Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Naverre said:
    I occasionally find a person who I can steal from, but it's usually someone under 30. Even completely AFK people have good enough reflexes that it's next to impossible to get anything off of them. Theft is pretty much dead in Achaea, which is sad. It was such a neat mechanic that few MMO's have.

Anyway, I apologize for turning this thread into a 'buff/remove theft' thread. I didn't mean to, honest.

Purely on the subject of pockets from a non-thief viewpoint, I like the idea. Maybe limit the amount of things you can keep is one per pocket, and multiple pockets can be sown in to a certain limit for a type of  clothing. Of course, this still leads to the distressing incident of someone sticking the corpse of a dragon in the pocket of their skinny jeans, but then, Achaea has always had some suspension of disbelief.
    On the pocket idea House/order/city items or some such with pockets in them wouldn't be so bad but having pockets in every single item of clothing would likely be meh.

Like the old Magi guild pocket that was cool.

Sign In to Comment.