Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Unrestricting Meropis

DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember Posts: 6,276 @@ - Legendary Achaean
One thing the Restoration has brought to light lately is the vibrancy of Meropis as a general zone, and how relatively underused it is compared to the rest of the mainland. I would wager a goodly portion of the playerbase has not been to it outside of events that permit easy access to it, as navigating the Tears of Sarapis is a nightmare if you do not know the way.

There is a LOT of content on Meropis that is only being experienced by a relatively small group of players - the people who know the path through the Tears, have ships, or who have bought an enchanted pebble.

I am left wondering - why is this the case? Or moreover, why does this need to be the case? I honestly don't think it does, and Achaea would be vastly better off for it being more accessible. It's a lot of very cool content and worldbuilding that doesn't really need to be restricted.

What I propose thus, is a way of expediting general unassisted travel to Meropis to make the continent more open to everyone. There's a million ways you could do this, but I'll list a few that immediately come to mind:

1) Introduce a 2-way ferry (AIRSHIPS??) from the Aalen to Rageteeth Beach. No more navigating the Tears of Sarapis. Repurpose it into something else, a bashing zone maybe? Fill it full of those undead mobs from the plague event, I'd go bash the shit out of those.

2) Stage an event which opens a permanent portal between the mainland and Meropis. Make it something the cities can fight over to control or something, and charge a toll to non-citizens. Something like that, or maybe not.

3) Permanently leave open the Asterian Restoration portals at Delos. They've already held two major inclusive world-events, they're clearly top shit, why not springboard off the work already invested into the Athaneum and have the general area be a starting point for people new to the continent? Shit, go even further and start building an NPC village of settlers in the scrublands around these portals or something.

4) Introduce an NPC modeled after Tagg that teleports you to Meropis if you say "Delete ships" in its presence.

You get the idea. Just refund the pebble people their crowns if you do any instant-travel option and everyone'll be happy, except the people losing bashing exclusivity because of it but whatever, those people can go island bash anyway.
AmranuBlujixapugDochithaAustereAegothTaelAlyanaRohaiJadysHalosJhaeli

Comments

• SarathaiSarathai Member Posts: 2,139 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Daeir said:
    Just refund the pebble people their crowns if you do any instant-travel option and everyone'll be happy, except the people losing bashing exclusivity because of it but whatever, those people can go island bash anyway.
    If the "bashing exclusivity" of Meropis is tied to a pebble, then removing pebbles wouldn't let those people go bash an island. To do that, they'd need to buy a ship, a bronze token, and then leave that ship at an island on a long-term basis (after sailing it out there).
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

Lisbethae
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!Member Posts: 3,107 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    well, if they'd make entry to meropis easier (there's a wormhole from shipwrecks to the end of the tears, fyi) they'd have to refund all those pebbles
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

Achimrst
  • SeifurSeifur Member Posts: 64 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished

I made this a long time ago to help me go back and forth.
    http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=ZzyHMPGv

retired
    RohaiPraxidesRomJhaeli
  • VansittartVansittart Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Tharvis said:
    well, if they'd make entry to meropis easier (there's a wormhole from shipwrecks to the end of the tears, fyi) they'd have to refund all those pebbles

Not necessarily, if entry to Meropis wasn't free.  There could be a 1,000g charge and some kind of delay for the ferry or airship or whatever to make its way there and back.  I think this is a really, really good idea.  Achaea needs to be a world that feels big but in terms of communication, and travel is, in practice, very small.  Otherwise you end up with under-used content, and dilution of the playerbase which needs to be concentrated in order to maximize the fun.

Make it so, @Sarapis, @Tecton.
    ShirszaeJhaeli
  • LisbethaeLisbethae Member Posts: 176 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    I don't know how much easier it can be made. Walking there may be a pain, but you can borrow a vibrating stick from a city mate and be there in really no time at all. 

People don't go for the same reasons they don't go to any place that isn't directly on the main plane. Heck, you hardly ever see people on Ulangi!

It's just the nature of the beast. We are a role playing crowd, it's easier to role play when there are people around. More people are around cities, so less people will go further afield.

Aereidhna
  • AustereAustere TennesseeMember Posts: 2,226 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Lisbethae said:
    I don't know how much easier it can be made. Walking there may be a pain, but you can borrow a vibrating stick from a city mate and be there in really no time at all. 

People don't go for the same reasons they don't go to any place that isn't directly on the main plane. Heck, you hardly ever see people on Ulangi!

It's just the nature of the beast. We are a role playing crowd, it's easier to role play when there are people around. More people are around cities, so less people will go further afield.

Walking there is a pain.  Being able to fly does help, but all in all, it's crappy. Yeah, you can borrow a warp stick, but I sure hope they don't start balancing travel around the prevalence of an artefact. Could I find one to borrow? Probably.  Could everyone who wants to go there find one? Doubtful.  There is a reason the portals are created anytime there is an event there.  This should be the standard, not the exception.  
    Shirszae
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!Member Posts: 3,107 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    The only reason the pebble has any value at all is because it brings you to meropis without having to worry about the tears or other methods of travel.
    Personally I have no problem at all with access to meropis being made easier, despite the idea I have that a second continent should atleast -feel- further away.
    However, if travel to it is made easier, the pebble loses all its value, and would require either a full refund, or a choice between a partial refund (for its diminished use) and a full refund (for those that prefer all of their crowns back in favour of the new method of travel)
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• SarienoSarieno Spokane, WAMember Posts: 127 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    It's used little because people are too lazy to go there themselves. Without any sort of extra information, it takes me at -most- 7 minutes to get to Meropis. That's navigating shipwrecks/dodging sharks on my own. When you get to Meropis you get literal hours of exploration. 

twitter - @spacemanreno
    Shimi
  • AntoniusAntonius Member Posts: 4,737 @@ - Legendary Achaean

Meropis isn't attractive enough to overcome how bloody inconvenient it is to get to, especially when everything important happens elsewhere and may well force you to come back again anyway. Easier to stay on the main continent where I can get everywhere important in less than 30 seconds - rather than 7 minutes(!!!!) - instead.

AustereJacenBlujixapug
  • DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember Posts: 6,276 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    So refund the pebble people (myself included) their crowns and add some instant/expedited method of travel. I'd happily give mine up for it. I imagine others would, too.
    Aereidhna
  • SiduriSiduri Member Posts: 1,546 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Mining made my pebble 50% less useful anyway, as I had bought it to get to the comm shops.

• AegothAegoth Member Posts: 2,603 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Thumbs up for ez meropis access
    AhmetTael
  • AlaskarAlaskar Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    I've been to Meropis a few times, and while I know how to get there, it's a pain in the ass. I rarely have sufficient time to spend getting there, exploring, bashing a little bit, ad coming back to the mainland as my play time is somewhat limited. Then I have to pray nothing happens while I'm there that makes me want to return to the mainland.

• AlyanaAlyana Member Posts: 44 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Antonius said:

especially when everything important happens elsewhere and may well force you to come back again anyway. 

I think this can be a big problem with Meropis' distance too. I tend to be wary about the prospect of going there because I know that if anything interesting happens back on the mainland I may or may not be able to get back in time for it-or even if I can, running the tears twice more to get back to Meropis afterwards isn't that attractive of a prospect.

Really, I think the popularity of the pebbles is pretty strong proof of how good an idea this is. It's at least seemed like the continent has seen way more activity, even if mainly as a bashing zone, once they got put into place. Ten minutes of identical water rooms is just a bit of a frustrating price of entry for a zone.

• AereidhnaAereidhna DallasMember Posts: 682 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Make pebbles a regular artefact, rather than a Shop of Wonders one so they are more accessible given the lack of crown trades lately. (But yes, refund crowns pls, can so use them for crafter's folders.) I could perhaps see the possibility of doing a delayed, expensive ferry as opposed to the walking route.

Mostly I agree with Lisbethae and Kayeil on this one. The walking path is not that difficult to get the hang of, there are plenty of ways to cut down the time, and even with easy access I seriously doubt it would create a flood of travel to Meropis, given that most people don't seem to like going off the mainland that much anyway. Part of the fun/point of Meropis is that it's a whole separate continent. Just like part of the fun/point of having to sail to outer islands is that they are outer islands.
  • AustereAustere TennesseeMember Posts: 2,226 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Making pebble a regular artefact doesn't address the problem fully. A few more people might buy them, but it doesn't open up easy access on a global scale. I would much rather have a warp stick over a pebble.  

With that said, it's a better situation than the current one, where if you really want a pebble,  it's going to take forever just to gather up enough crowns.  At least if it's regular credits, I can whip out my debit card and buy one if I feel so inclined. 

We are all getting old now. More obligations equate to less play time. Need that instant gratification.
  • VayneVayne Rhode IslandMember Posts: 1,897 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    For me,  a large part of the allure of Meropis was the difficulty getting there. It gives a real sense of it being distant and foreign.
    AereidhnaPraxidesShimi
  • AquilAquil Member Posts: 269 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    I would hunt there if it didn't take me so long to ferry and walk there and go through wilderness and have to fly through sharks. Then find I am out of something and be frustrated. I work two jobs, my second year of school is starting up, and I don't have time to go there to find out where best works for me.

I think it's great its out of the way and rare, and I great place to get dragon.
    But I dislike how I'm a casual and if I play its for a purpose and to get in what I need to, not to waste time away.

Just my opinion though. Not exactly open to making it easy/no effort access, but making it -easier- would be nice.
  • SenaSena Member Posts: 3,954 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited August 2015
    Sarapis said:
    It's all about a balance. If everything is easy to get to, nothing feels far away. Conversely, it is only 'exciting' to spend a lot of time getting to a new place once. Maybe twice if that really trips your trigger.

I think a ferry of some sort that takes some time (though not too much) to get people there and costs money is probably the way to go IF we were to prioritize this, which we're not in the near future.
    You could preserve the atmosphere and feeling of distance a bit by requiring the passage to be made the long way (either by ship or through the tears) at least once before you can use the faster method. For example, buying passage directly to Orilla requires a ferry pass or permission from some group, which can only be obtained on Meropis.

Or just have a one-way ferry that allows you to quickly leave Meropis if there's something happening on the mainland, and leave travel to Meropis as it is.
    SkyeTaelShirszaeJhaeli
  • GreysGreys Member, Seafaring Liason Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Meropis is where Greys hunted getting to dragon and with practice he made the trip there in relatively little time. You did have to plan for it and accept that its a far away place. In terms of travel time, many of the other isles (Tuar, Tapoa, etc) take about the same if not longer and with them there is a limit in harbour space. I'd prefer the harbor slots get expanded to open up those areas first.
    OceanaTharvis
  • SaevaSaeva Member Posts: 1,939 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I think Meropis having simpler access would be great. There's a lot out there that's worth seeing, hunting and exploring. But I would definitely want compensation for the pebble cause that thing was really expensive.

Melodie
  • SarienoSarieno Spokane, WAMember Posts: 127 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    The other thing that was somewhat mentioned here is that a lot of people have ships or access to ships. If you have your shipreturn set up to a ship that's sitting on the mainland you can just travel back that way if something important is happening.

twitter - @spacemanreno
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect itMember Posts: 1,649 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I have to admit I'm a little torn on this idea. While I get that Meropis is supposed to be a whole another continent and is supposed to be relatively far away (and so time consuming to get to than normal islands), it really does seem a shame that so much of its content is so underused.

The Tears, while not ridiculously difficult, can be confusing and dangerous enough for younger people who might just never go there again and simply inconvenient for older people who might need to get back to the mainland in a hurry (raid, newbie intro etc).

Sena said:
    Sarapis said:
    It's all about a balance. If everything is easy to get to, nothing feels far away. Conversely, it is only 'exciting' to spend a lot of time getting to a new place once. Maybe twice if that really trips your trigger.

I think a ferry of some sort that takes some time (though not too much) to get people there and costs money is probably the way to go IF we were to prioritize this, which we're not in the near future.
    You could preserve the atmosphere and feeling of distance a bit by requiring the passage to be made the long way (either by ship or through the tears) at least once before you can use the faster method. For example, buying passage directly to Orilla requires a ferry pass or permission from some group, which can only be obtained on Meropis.

Or just have a one-way ferry that allows you to quickly leave Meropis if there's something happening on the mainland, and leave travel to Meropis as it is.
    I kinda like both of these suggestions, but I also like the idea of making it somewhat marque-like in that you might have to explore certain locations in Meropis to be well-travelled enough to get a ferry pass. Or it could even be tied to explorer ranking as well, thus encouraging people to explore. Just spitballing ideas here!
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

AereidhnaJhaeli
  • TaelTael Member Posts: 1,197 @ - Epic Achaean
    Sena said:
    Sarapis said:

This. The solution to things that offer immersion the first time and tedium subsequent times is to have you do them one time (or even periodically), and then replace them with some abstraction the next time.

This is similar to the various posts in that thread about "client scripts you wish were part of the game" regarding tradeskills and how it would be nice if you had to, for instance, manually inpot and concoct things the first time so you still get that immersion, but could thereafter just BREW <blah> and have it automatically inpot the ingredients and all that.
  • SarathaiSarathai Member Posts: 2,139 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Aquil said:
    I would hunt there if it didn't take me so long to ferry and walk there and go through wilderness and have to fly through sharks.
    Next time you want to go and happen to see me around, just ask to borrow my vibrating stick and hop the ferry to the warp. I don't mind. A ship return will get you back afterwards, if the stick resets by then.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

Sign In to Comment.