Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Forum Unravel Protection - auto-bury posts from select users

2»

Comments

• DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember Posts: 6,288 @@ - Legendary Achaean

Since userscripts.org appears to be down almost permanently, here's a mirror link for the script:

http://userscripts-mirror.org/scripts/show/427781.html

BlujixapugJules
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United StatesMember Posts: 6,312 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Jules said:
    When this was being discussed sometime back, fairly sure Sarapis said something to the effect of "even if we could (and we can't), I wouldn't allow it".  Thus my little pat on the back/mini-tirade here :P

Gods forbid they want to have any say in how the forum they pay for is managed and used. 

I'm not sure what plan they're on, but considering how it seems that every active God/Goddess seems to be a forum staff member, it's a lot of money this forum takes to keep up on a monthly basis. That gives them some considerable right to utilize and change it as they see fit, as per their ToS:

10. Ownership of Achaea and Services.
    The Company, and its contractually-bound licensors shall, at all times, retain all right, title, and interest in and to the Services, except to the extent of the licenses granted hereunder.

I'm just saying, whether or not you agree with the forum based decisions of late is largely irrelevant since, at the end of the day, you're not the one paying for it. And that makes sense, to me anyway.

TharvisShirszaeLachlan
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo DomingoMember Posts: 3,272 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    That really is quite expensive x.x

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

AchimrstTrevizeKei
  • JulesJules Member Posts: 2,169 @ - Epic Achaean

Umm, that post was from April :P  Not that I'm one of those stodgy anti-necro folks, but heh.  Also, meh ;)

• JulesJules Member Posts: 2,169 @ - Epic Achaean

On another note, are others not getting notified when someone mentions or quotes them?  It's happened to me at least a couple of times now.

edited June 2014
    You could host a forum of Achaea's size on a $5 p/mo DO droplet on a different implementation. Vanilla is heinously overpriced for what it is - even if it does include enterprise-quality hosting.

JulesSherazad
  • KyrraKyrra AustraliaMember Posts: 4,864 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    @Jules, tags from mobile phones don't work, and if someone edits a post to tag you later, it won't notify.

@Tecton, please fix mobile forums :(
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

Jules
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United StatesMember Posts: 6,312 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Daeir said:
    You could host a forum of Achaea's size on a $5 p/mo DO droplet on a different implementation. Vanilla is heinously overpriced for what it is - even if it does include enterprise-quality hosting.

With some crackpot host maybe. Vanilla is overpriced, but you can't really get what it offers for $5 hosting unless you spend a lot of time coding in the features yourself. Ain't nobody got time for that. We got textp to harvest!

• SarapisSarapis Member, Administrator Posts: 3,398 Achaean staff

Klendathu said:
    Kyrra said:
    @Tecton, please fix mobile forums :(

No, sod the forums, spend time on the game.

That is exactly why we just pay Vanilla. No time spent on our part, nothing to think about. Forums are simply not that important compared to the games themselves. The great majority of players don't even use the forums, while 100% of players use the games.

Klendathu
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!Member Posts: 3,107 @@ - Legendary Achaean

the only thing I hate about the forums now, are those emoticons D:

Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

TrillianaMelodieShirszaeSilas
  • NimNim Member Posts: 2,015 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I actually liked the old emoticons, too. :c Why did they ruin them! T_T
    Silas
  • AntoniusAntonius Member Posts: 4,935 @@ - Legendary Achaean

@Daeir: I don't suppose you want to code up something that just removes The Ranting Menace from the Discussions list?

• SenaSena Member Posts: 3,957 @@ - Legendary Achaean

I could probably do that later tonight, it looks easy enough.

If you want to hide the entire Sewers section though (hiding the threads in it completely, from the recent discussions and unread discussions lists too), you can do that already by hovering over the section on the front page so the gear icon shows up, then clicking it and choosing "hide".

Now to find out how to undo that...

TeshaJules
  • SeifurSeifur Member Posts: 64 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished

On the left side of the page look for this:

Make sure "all categories" is selected.

Next, find the section you want to unhide and hover your mouse over it. You should see a gear. Click that gear and then click "unhide".

retired
    Sena
  • SenaSena Member Posts: 3,957 @@ - Legendary Achaean

Since userscripts is down, you can get the thread hiding script from https://sites.google.com/site/senasharpfang/ThreadHider.user.js

It can hide any threads you want (just The Ranting Menace by default) from the recent discussions and unread discussions pages (forums.achaea.com/discussions and forums.achaea.com/discussions/unread).

Edit the threadList variable in the script to change what it hides. You specify threads by their numerical ID, which can be found in the thread's URL. For example, this thread is http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/2092/forum-unravel-protection-auto-bury-posts-from-select-users, that 2092 is the ID you want.

DaeirJules

Should just rename this thread to "making Vanilla Forums better, one userscript at a time".

Jules
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo DomingoMember Posts: 3,272 @@ - Legendary Achaean

Out of curiosity, does this work on Opera?

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

It will work on any browser with a Tampermonkey/Greasemonkey equivalent that runs javascript userscripts.

That's fantastic. We may not always see eye to eye, but that pun was worthy. I am satisfied.

YaeDaslinJarrod

If only this ignore functionality was enabled by default. What was Vanilla thinking?

TharvisCooper
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!Member Posts: 3,107 @@ - Legendary Achaean

Thanks for this script @Daeir! Have a bird 

Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

Daeir
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USAMember Posts: 1,818 @@ - Legendary Achaean

On his way home from work, a programmer called his wife and said, "I'll just be a minute late, I'm stopping at the grocery to get a carton of milk."

She replied, "Okay, if they have eggs, get a dozen."

So he came home with 12 gallons of milk.

-- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
    JulesTharvisShirszae
  • MishgulMishgul ROTHERHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMember Posts: 5,372 @@ - Legendary Achaean

Stare at my forum wall for a few hours if you want jokes

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
    Aerek
Sign In to Comment.