Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Removing instant travel - good, or bad?

DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember Posts: 6,276 @@ - Legendary Achaean
Would just like to throw out a topic for discussion - what do people think about the way instant travel abilities (duanathar, earrings, etc) currently work in the game? Would Achaea's combat scene benefit from them being removed, or limited in some fashion? Are things fine the way they are?

I've heard lots of different opinions on this and figured it might be a good discussion to have.
Isaiah

Comments

• JovoloJovolo EnglandMember Posts: 3,163 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I do not mind Duanathar so much at all. The mobility afforded is a great one for bashing and general navigation, and they provide a reasonable outdoors "Escape" (Easy to set up traps there and/or follow) while being prevented by room hindrance. Earrings are another complication altogether, but I have no input on them at present because they're such an integrated part of achaea that I can't see anything happening to them. 

Also there would be a mass outcry for refunds etc.
    BluefUtianima
  • AntoniusAntonius Member Posts: 4,804 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    So let me get this straight... You want abilities to be stopped by both a monolith AND something else to work across areas, but raido should be area only even though I'm pretty sure that's already the case for it?

Why isn't a monolith sigil enough of a method of prevention?
    Boosteya
  • AtalkezAtalkez Member Posts: 4,914 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited March 2014
    Didn't pay 800c to wait 3sec to move.

10/10 would want a refund.

Edit: @Shirszae‌ obviously has no earrings. Lol
    Post edited by Atalkez on

You hug Aurora compassionately.
    BishanShirszaeNimDartegaStrataKyrraXithBluef
  • JovoloJovolo EnglandMember Posts: 3,163 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Raido is continent unless it was changed, but earrings being stopped by mono is bad. I really can't think of anything that "balances" them without completely destroying their value.

I get artifacts are subject to change and the players would just have to deal, but pissing off the primary money inflows of the game probably isn't a good idea.
    Boosteya
  • AntoniusAntonius Member Posts: 4,804 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    @Jovolo Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Typing on a phone means I don't necessarily phrase things as well as I would if I had a full keyboard.

Raido is, unless I'm mistaken (and I might be so feel free to tell me if I am), already prevented by a monolith sigil and other methods (prone, entangled, etc). Based on Shecks' criteria for things remaining continent wide raido should still fall under them, but he's also saying raido should be area only.
    AtalkezBluef
  • AnedhelAnedhel Member Posts: 2,367 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    If you're screwing raido to area-only, I want to be able to sketch more than one. Also, you forgot universe tarot, hermit, pathfinder, crystalhome, etc. etc.
    BluefBoosteya
  • DunnDunn Member, Secret Squirrel Posts: 6,167 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited March 2014
    Nerfing earrings would be like nerfing veils: shooting yourself in the economic lynchpin.

Universe and crystalhome aren't instant, @Anedhel.

JovoloExelethrilBoosteyaNim
  • AnedhelAnedhel Member Posts: 2,367 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Fair enough!
  • MithridatesMithridates Member Posts: 1,956 @ - Epic Achaean
    Maybe just make earrings like most other insta-travel things in the game: Don't let people follow through earring.
    KelloniusStrataKrossKatzchen
  • KeiKei Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Correct me if I'm wrong, since I don't have any of the items or abilities to test this, but aren't earrings already stopped in a limited fashion by prone/bound/paralysed/offbal/offeq and Grounding vibe? I'll refrain from commenting on anything else, as I don't own either wings or earring, but I wanted to clear that up for myself. (And if that's wrong, the helpfile should probably be updated sometime!)

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
    Kei said:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, since I don't have any of the items or abilities to test this, but aren't earrings already stopped in a limited fashion by prone/bound/paralysed/offbal/offeq and Grounding vibe? I'll refrain from commenting on anything else, as I don't own either wings or earring, but I wanted to clear that up for myself. (And if that's wrong, the helpfile should probably be updated sometime!)
    Grounding only works on the mage that embedded it. 
    Xith
  • DraekarDraekar Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    edited March 2014
    Earrings are the most overpowered method of travel in the game, this is why we all use them. (some a hell of a lot more than others)

Every form of travel has some form of balance or restriction, I guess for earrings it was that you could only use it with one other person.

Given the way earrings are used though this is a null point and as an owner who loves them I would still support further restrictions in place. 

Ideally this would be a short windup like PTV or Crystalhome or whatever else and that is a 2-3 second delay on them firing with the same prone/web/sleep etc things stopping them from firing.
    Karai
    I don't like the idea of waiting for the command to go through.

Although it being stopped by monos isn't such a bad tradeoff.

Katzchen
  • JhuiJhui Member Posts: 1,958 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    dunno if anyone has said this, but earrings have made the game 100x more enjoyable for me and tons of people I fight with, even before I went to Ashtan.

Fun mechanics are always good to keep here.  2 second delay is fine, though.
    Xith
  • StrataStrata United States of DerpMember Posts: 1,753 @ - Epic Achaean
    0s delay on earring = don't even bother... he/she will just earring on alertness.
    2s delay on earring = more zerg rushes because "we only have 2s to kill him/her before earring."

Would rather keep it at 0s.
  • AchillesAchilles Los AngelesMember Posts: 2,506 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Jhui said:
    dunno if anyone has said this, but earrings have made the game 100x more enjoyable for me and tons of people I fight with
    And if you polled the people who have to fight against earrings they would respond about how it has made it less enjoyable for them.
  • CooperCooper IowaMember Posts: 4,982 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    It's really nice that Xer and Hasar have earrings. The amount of stuff Mhaldor is able to pull off just because of that 1 set is pretty awesome.

I can't imagine if we had 5-6 fully artied, capable fighters that had earrings.

HasarAradorBoosteyaSherazad
    Cooper said:

It's really nice that Xer and Hasar have earrings. The amount of stuff Mhaldor is able to pull off just because of that 1 set is pretty awesome.

I can't imagine if we had 5-6 fully artied, capable fighters that had earrings.
    Let me try to explain it

Burst wings def earring repeat
    Well, just like real life, those with the means to buy the things get the enjoyment of them.

Complaining about earrings because they are an inconvenience to you or your faction isn't being fair to the people that purchased them.

However approaching it from a game mechanic standpoint is another story.

To me, if I burst and have the means to go away redef and come back, that is an advantage that is useful.

By the same token if I didn't have an earring I cam get an emp, deliver, portal, etc which are equally quick means of travel used by more than one person.

my earring I can only use when @Jhui is around. If he isnt? I don't have one heh.

Another option would be to limit the number a person can have to say 5. Just throwing it out there.

• MishgulMishgul ROTHERHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMember Posts: 5,314 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I feel like a lot of people struggle with the whole empathy thing, but the majority of people play Achaea as a "me" or a "me and my friends" thing, and Achaea is a business on top of that, so the best things for money are "me" or "me and my friends" things. Making the game enjoyable for "everyone" will never happen, some people will just have to deal with having to bend over for others and they will have to force themselves to enjoy it or find something else to do.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
    BoosteyaSherazad
  • AlrenaAlrena Member Posts: 647 @ - Epic Achaean
    Well, I think we can all agree that raids/skirmishes where every enemy you kill, simply bursts and earrings right away aren't very fun. A one/two second delay on earrings wouldn't be a huge nerf, as the earrings can still be used for tactical movements, or escape. It just prevents it from being the "get out of jail free" card, which also lets people take horrible risks to gain things that really shouldn't be done (placing gravehands, which persist through burst/death). 

I have two sets of earrings, and I'm totally fine with it becoming a convenience item, rather than something horribly obnoxious because people can do stupid crap and get away with it because of them. Such as Bonko's denizen killing, then earringing out on alertness. It's simply almost impossible to keep someone paralysed/proned/bound/... the entire time, especially after a burst. A small delay on the earring would be perhaps the best fix, without horribly nerfing them either as they still won't be stopped by mono's. Just my thoughts!
    Exelethril
  • WysteriaWysteria Member Posts: 1,826 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited March 2014
    Can earrings be used when off eq and balance? If yes then maybe make it like our grove flow where you need to be on balance for it to work.
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

Mizik
  • ShecksShecks Member Posts: 626 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    edited March 2014
    I bought my earring for one reason:  To escape ganks, either before or after the first death... preferably before.  Your proposed change would make it nearly useless for this, as spamming hindrance abilities is the key to any half-decent gank strategy.

If you only want to make it less useful for raids, I propose a 1-2 second delay, when used in a city you're enemied to.  Or perhaps make that feature a city upgrade, akin to the orb of confinement.  Or perhaps let this city feature utterly prevent earring use (into our out of the city), which would affect everyone.  I hear new city upgrades are already in the works, this could easily be added.
    "Ignore the boos.  They usually come from the cheap seats."
  • DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember Posts: 6,276 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Orb of Confinement blocking earrings is an interesting idea, actually.
    Boosteya
  • ShecksShecks Member Posts: 626 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    It blocks wings, which is an 800cr artefact.  I don't see why not.
    "Ignore the boos.  They usually come from the cheap seats."
    Boosteya
This discussion has been closed.