I've been toying around with Riding lately, specifically with Lasso, and have come to realize that it is almost entirely useless due to a few limitations - mainly that you have to re-lasso the creature if you are knocked off, and that legendsteed creatures capable of being lassoed are extremely difficult if not entirely impossible to lasso at all.
Additionally, I would like to see a system to "tame" mounts rather than buying them - this will function as follows:
- Person successfully lassos a mount, it enters the lowest of several 'tamed' stages.
- At any point while being ridden henceforth, the mount will buck and attempt to escape - this will roll against your Riding and dexterity stat. If the roll succeeds, you will be forced to soothe the mount within a certain timeframe or you will be knocked off, and the mount will run a few rooms away in a given direction. If not re-lassoed within a minute, the mount will return to its original location untamed. If the roll fails, you will automatically soothe the mount and increase its loyalty by a percentage towards the next stage.
- Animal loyalty may be increased by fighting with the mount (and not dying with it, death will untame the mount entirely) and feeding it appropriate food for whatever type of mount it is.
- At a certain point of loyalty (say stage 3/8), the mount will become mostly tame, and will no longer attempt to buck you from its back. Henceforth, regular use of the mount by traveling with it in your entourage or on its back will increase its loyalty further. Death at any point during this process will incur a heavy loyalty hit, possibly reducing the mount to untamed status again. Loyalty will slowly decay over time henceforth, while in realms or out of it.
- At the last stage of loyalty (7/8), you will be required to take the mount to its home environment and witness a touching scene where it chooses to stay with you, and the mount then becomes a fully fledged loyal denizen that can be collared and all the like.
The taming process will potentially take several days of playtime (as in an hour a day for 1-2 real life days, less if you dedicate more effort into taming the mount) for the legend mounts to prevent the market being flooded with new tamed mounts. Additionally, you may only tame one mount at a time during this whole process. Animals like gryphons will take 3-4 days of concerted effort to fully tame, while animals like mules, ponies and light horses may be tamed within a single Achaean day.
tl;dr: introduce loyalty system that allows lassoed animals to be tamed with effort, depending on Riding skill. Also adjust lassoing to actually work on legendsteeds and not be so frustrating/useless to use overall.