Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Lowering the barrier of entry to Seafaring

13»

Comments

• SenaSena Posts: 3,936Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Doubled turning speed would also be great for chops.
  • ArianisArianis CyrenePosts: 122Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    If this happened, I'd probably try to take on chops (with wavecall) at full speed just for fun.
    Commissions- Base pay is 15cr/hour of work. See THIS for commission FAQ.
    The current commission queue is 5. Estimated delay in new commissions is > one week.
    There is currently a freeze on commissions. No new requests are being taken at this time, and current pieces are delayed. See sketchbook thread for details.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!Posts: 3,107Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    "Cursing her own haste, @Arianis has led her ship and crew into the cold, deadly embrace of the seas."
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

AnaidianaArianis
  • AnaidianaAnaidiana Posts: 826Member @ - Epic Achaean
    totally didn't realise you were making a joke. I was like, 'SHE SANK MY SHIP?!??! That's it, I'm taking her set of keys away....'

TharvisArianisJozlyn
    Tharvis said:
    "Cursing her own haste, @Arianis has led her ship and crew into the cold, deadly embrace of the seas."
    DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THIS SCARED ME? I totally thought I somehow sunk the ship despite me sitting on it right now.
    The current commission queue is 5. Estimated delay in new commissions is > one week.
    There is currently a freeze on commissions. No new requests are being taken at this time, and current pieces are delayed. See sketchbook thread for details.

AnaidianaTharvisTrevize
    It's simple. Just make seafaring look more like this-

I'm sure everyone will be throwing hundreds of RL dollars at it then. 

AveriJacen
  • TrayuTrayu New ZealandPosts: 5Member
    It's not just about being worried about sinking your org's ship though. There's the huge cost associated with recovering/refitting a sunken ship which is a huge put off for going out which, for some players, takes a long, long time to recover (if you even have it in the first place)
    I'm not sure what that huge cost of sinking is. When my ship sunk, some other players salvaged it for free, and I had to pay an extremely small, insignificant cost to fill up the larder and token stores (I'm not sure if I even lost the food, it may have just needed restocking anyways). I even got lucky and didn't lose any crew.

I can't imagine any consequence of sinking that would take a long time to recover from, except maybe losing a lot of crew experience.
    Mannimar
  • EldEld Posts: 3,946Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Sena said:
    I'm not sure what that huge cost of sinking is. When my ship sunk, some other players salvaged it for free, and I had to pay an extremely small, insignificant cost to fill up the larder and token stores (I'm not sure if I even lost the food, it may have just needed restocking anyways). I even got lucky and didn't lose any crew.

I can't imagine any consequence of sinking that would take a long time to recover from, except maybe losing a lot of crew experience.
    You generally do lose food, and whatever token stores are used in rescuing the crew. Lost experience is the most annoying thing I've seen.
    Melodie
  • TrevizeTrevize Posts: 1,517Member @ - Epic Achaean
    edited December 2013
    Speaking of - what is the cost to salvage a sunk ship by an NPC?

Food, tokens, and strongbox don't seem bad at all.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
    Trevize said:

Speaking of - what is the cost to salvage a sunk ship by an NPC?

It varies depending on distance from the harbour, but i don't know the exact numbers. I think last time I did it it was around 20k to salvage a ship near the south end of poly from thraasi.
    Trevize said:
    I don't think you lose any gold in the strongbox. Maybe there's a chance of it (otherwise the help file is simply wrong), but my strongbox was untouched, and several others have said that it isn't lost on sinking.
    EldMelodieTrevize
    Yeah, strongbox is safe in my experience.
    Trevize
    edited December 2013
    Sena said:
    Trevize said:
    I don't think you lose any gold in the strongbox. Maybe there's a chance of it (otherwise the help file is simply wrong), but my strongbox was untouched, and several others have said that it isn't lost on sinking.
    Damn, I was trying to avoid putting too much gold in the strongbox for this reason. Two confirm, none disagree - anyone else able to confirm or deny? I'd love it if it was safe for sure.

Also, 20k? That's nothing. Especially if all you have to replace is tokens and food, and on average 20% of your crew.

Take into account that while profit is nice, most of the 'profitable' skills are (in my experience, and talking to others) done more for fun than profit... and I find seafaring extremely fun, on parwith jewellery or tailoring. Yes, some do make profit, and some extremely well - but it's not always the intention.

Really you're just looking at ~4x the startup cost vs a tradeskill (jewellery/tailoring), and a relatively low maintenence cost, and the fact that it's built to be a group experience (something I'd like to see more of!) and really, I wouldn't consider asking for the cost to be lowered - but for more fun activities.

Some way to do group hunts against sea monsters on ships, on par with RATS command (maybe lots of 'benign' creatures ranging in difficulty/reward, that aren't aggro but that you engage into battle) or perhaps certain areas (a specific section of the sea, normally untravelled) with aggro monsters - so it's more of a choice than a requirement. Maybe extremely rare ghost ships with really nice treasure? Seafaring talismans found in the above manner, maybe?

Also, perhaps lots of sunken ships you can locate, use the bell to reach, and kill monsters/ghosts/whatever and find loot, like the Greathunt caves? An alternative to diving and fighting fish/etc.

Ideas abound, but if I was asking for a fix to seafaring, I wouldn't look for a cheaper ship, but more ways to have fun with it.
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
    Rispok
    Also, another question for those of you who do seafaring... can clans/high clans own ships? Or is it only cities/houses/orders?
  • KinilanKinilan Posts: 1,255Member, Seafaring Liason @@ - Legendary Achaean
    You don't lose gold in the strongbox, One of the many lies in the seafaring helps.

You lose food but there are lots of ways to get it back without having to spend any gold

Some crew might die if you don't have enough tokens or are unlucky.

You'll lose some crew experience due to lost crew but but old crew will train up new crew faster than normal and you can always  do the crew experience trade or buy/borrow experienced crew from another captain. Not like there is a shortage of ships that never move except to avoid drydock.

Salvage costs at a manned harbour depend on the distance from that harbour. The cost caps at 100k. Not sure how much it goes up per room away.

You'll take a morale hit as well. Something like 1k or 2k. like crew experience there are ways to recover this quickly with a bit of work. Plus arti cooks.

High clans can own ships now.

And because I just loooove to remind people, if you're worried about your ship getting sunk you can always hire the PoM to protect you.
    :ar!
    SarapisTrevizeApolinarioJonathin
  • JonathinJonathin Retirement hole.Posts: 3,313Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Or you can hire Targ. This is how it works: you give me gold for protection and I log out for a week.

My site will remain up, but will not be maintained. The repository will continue to have scripts added to it if I decide to play another game. Maybe I'll see you around in Starmourn!
    Tutorials and scripts  The Repository

AveriSynbios
13»
Sign In to Comment.