Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

OOC Combat wiki/Data compendium

2»

Comments

• NaisarNaisar Member Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    edited April 2013
    Appreciate it.  It's even more outdated than I thought (pre-traits, ye gods), but if anyone wants to use it for historical reasons it's up here: http://pastebin.com/GwdDnuFP

Edit: Also this is somehow the unedited version.  Weird.
    Wilhelmina
  • NizarisNizaris The Holy City of MhaldorMember Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Though it's a little off-topic, I've been toying around recently with creating a crowd-sourced hunting website. The idea would be to have a plugin made for Mudlet that collects data such as denizens slain, denizen levels, room name/number where slain, damage per second received by denizen, gold drops, experience gain, level of basher, bashing times, etc -- and then have this plugin upload the data to a centralized server. Then, a user could input their present level and health, and receive a personalized hunting guide based on averages of the data collected. It would also show which hunting sites are less-frequented by others and at what times, and maybe help to balance out the hunting game a little. The goal would be to help out newbies to find better bashing spots, help experienced players to find better hunting grounds for their level, put hunting firmly in the realm of experience per hour and not experience per kill, and hopefully spark a little competition (we could use data gained to hold experience per hour/gold per hour contests if we wanted). Plus, it would be a fun little project for me to code in, and tie together a few disciplines.
    Tarkanian
  • TaelTael Member Posts: 1,197 @ - Epic Achaean
    Naisar said:
    Appreciate it.  It's even more outdated than I thought (pre-traits, ye gods), but if anyone wants to use it for historical reasons it's up here: http://pastebin.com/GwdDnuFP

Edit: Also this is somehow the unedited version.  Weird.
    As someone who is bad at combat and perpetually trying to be less bad, this is probably the single most useful thing I have ever read. Thanks.
    Sherazad
  • SarapisSarapis Member, Administrator Posts: 3,398 Achaean staff
    Daeir said:
    Is this allowed? I'd like to get one going where we can compile things we know about particular abilities so that new and old players alike have one concerted places to look for combat information. The current Achaea wiki seems pretty IC for the most part, or at least not overtly technical, so I am not sure if such contributions are welcome there.
    @Daeir I just saw this, but yes, that is absolutely allowed. In fact, I'd love to see this get started by doing a first pass on each class that's up-to-date. If you wanted to start on this, we'll support you as we can. Go ahead and email me [email protected]<ourcompanyname>.com and we can get started.
    NimWilhelminaShirszae
  • TarkanianTarkanian Member Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Nizaris said:
    Though it's a little off-topic, I've been toying around recently with creating a crowd-sourced hunting website. The idea would be to have a plugin made for Mudlet that collects data such as denizens slain, denizen levels, room name/number where slain, damage per second received by denizen, gold drops, experience gain, level of basher, bashing times, etc -- and then have this plugin upload the data to a centralized server. Then, a user could input their present level and health, and receive a personalized hunting guide based on averages of the data collected. It would also show which hunting sites are less-frequented by others and at what times, and maybe help to balance out the hunting game a little. The goal would be to help out newbies to find better bashing spots, help experienced players to find better hunting grounds for their level, put hunting firmly in the realm of experience per hour and not experience per kill, and hopefully spark a little competition (we could use data gained to hold experience per hour/gold per hour contests if we wanted). Plus, it would be a fun little project for me to code in, and tie together a few disciplines.
    sounds good. the only negative i can see with this is losing the surprise factor of exploring the world and finding out firsthand denizen behaviour. this would probably suit older players best.
  • NizarisNizaris The Holy City of MhaldorMember Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Tarkanian said:
    Nizaris said:
    sounds good. the only negative i can see with this is losing the surprise factor of exploring the world and finding out firsthand denizen behaviour. this would probably suit older players best.
    I was talking with an old friend from high school as well, who just so happens to use the web framework that I'm using (Django) as his day job. So, this little project just took on an additional level of practicality for me ... it very well might lead to a job in development.
  • IocunIocun Member Posts: 3,506 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Tarkanian said:
    Nizaris said:
    Not quite sure what the benefit to the game would be. It would make level farming more easier, that's about it. The question is whether that's needed for Achaea.
    Sherazad
  • SherazadSherazad Planef UrthMember Posts: 956 @ - Epic Achaean
    Sarapis said:
    Daeir said:
    Is this allowed? I'd like to get one going where we can compile things we know about particular abilities so that new and old players alike have one concerted places to look for combat information. The current Achaea wiki seems pretty IC for the most part, or at least not overtly technical, so I am not sure if such contributions are welcome there.
    @Daeir I just saw this, but yes, that is absolutely allowed. In fact, I'd love to see this get started by doing a first pass on each class that's up-to-date. If you wanted to start on this, we'll support you as we can. Go ahead and email me [email protected]<ourcompanyname>.com and we can get started.
    Does this mean Achaea will be more open with the skills and the changes being made, @Sarapis? There's a previous discussion linked by @Eld about this and the possibility of people posting the wrong information in the wiki or whatever might be made.
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember Posts: 6,288 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    At @Sarapis' prompting, I've begun work on adding some combat related stuff to the wiki.

Sarapis would like a "general combat outline" for each class which briefly lays out their main method of offense and how they generally perform in combat as a class. I've written the first example of this here, and if anyone else chooses to write articles for the other classes (please do, I don't really know all that much about combat), try and follow a similar format.

I've also started work on transcribing the various abilities onto the wiki along with short blurbs about their use in Achaean life from a mechanical standpoint, as can be seen here.

Please get involved with this - it'll only work so long as we all chip in. I'll be happy to paraphrase/write/edit stuff for people who have the knowledge but don't feel like bothering with all the wiki formatting to get it on there.
    Sherazad said:
    Sarapis said:
    Daeir said:
    Does this mean Achaea will be more open with the skills and the changes being made, @Sarapis? There's a previous discussion linked by @Eld about this and the possibility of people posting the wrong information in the wiki or whatever might be made.
    Every ability change should get posted on announce news as far as I'm concerned. 
    Daeir said:
    At @Sarapis' prompting, I've begun work on adding some combat related stuff to the wiki.

Sarapis would like a "general combat outline" for each class which briefly lays out their main method of offense and how they generally perform in combat as a class. I've written the first example of this here, and if anyone else chooses to write articles for the other classes (please do, I don't really know all that much about combat), try and follow a similar format.

I've also started work on transcribing the various abilities onto the wiki along with short blurbs about their use in Achaean life from a mechanical standpoint, as can be seen here.

Please get involved with this - it'll only work so long as we all chip in. I'll be happy to paraphrase/write/edit stuff for people who have the knowledge but don't feel like bothering with all the wiki formatting to get it on there.
    What I'd like to do is, once we have one class done as a template, get experts in each class to do something similar. It's not meant to be an expert's guide to the class so much as a guide to low to mid-level competence in that class, written/edited by people who do know a class well.
  • MizikMizik Member Posts: 2,128 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I'm in. PM me what class you want @Daeir.
    Sarapis
  • DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember Posts: 6,288 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    All of them. All of the ones that you're good at, because you're definitely better at the game than I am, no questions asked.
  • IocunIocun Member Posts: 3,506 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I'd be willing to give serpent a try, if nobody beats me to it.
    Corbeaux
  • JacenJacen Member Posts: 2,305 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I'm obviously not competent enough to contribute to strategies and such, but I'm up for contributing hard numbers: balance times, extrapolating damage formulas, etc. For monk, that is.
    What do you guys think of this general format for these class summaries?

I think the basic strategy needs more detail still, but this starts to break things down a bit at least. 
    @Iocun Why don't you give that a try? Take the format there and try building out something a bit more detailed for Serpents?
  • SenaSena Member Posts: 3,957 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited May 2013
    For the recommended learning order, I think it should give a brief explanation as to why you'd want those abilities first. I'd also like to see a short section on what stats and traits are most beneficial to the class.

Other than that it looks good.
    Nemutaur
    Ok, added in stuff. How's this format look? 

CorbeauxSena
  • JacenJacen Member Posts: 2,305 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Is it desirable/admin approved for the wiki to have very technical information? Like for blademasters, the fact that you can slash, strike, and discern all in one combo (and infuse and fist?)
    Absolutely. Any and all info, as long as it's coherently presented, is allowed and good. If a policy ever existed that discouraged that kind of info on the wiki, consider it completely rescinded.
    JacenDavioCorbeaux
    Starting a new thread about this effort and posting it to announce.
This discussion has been closed.