Trade Skill - Mining

Another idea for a future tradeskill that would focus more on physical labor and for those questing type, the chance to uncover some rare materials. It would not only be a fun hobby one could enjoy in their free time, but also may assist their city by acquiring resources (or selling them personally). A word of caution, as it is known for miners to be assaulted by creatures they disturb that are sleeping within the rocks.

AB:

Mining: Ability to mine at a hidden cache in your room. (Only possible in underground or mountainous locations)
Scan: Scan your room for any possible hidden caches, this is toggle-able, constant willpower drain.
Coal: A common resource easily found.
Obsidian: A rare material used in certain practices
Gems: If you are lucky you may locate a multi-hued Gem deposit.
Fragment: In your mining, you may come across an archaeological wonder (piece together 5 to gain a template (flavor mostly, also gain exp once template is formed)).
Diamond: Though rare to find, these beauties are sought for world-over. Can be crushed to create dust.
Shard: Come across an iconic shard that can empower an Icon. (Chance to find piece while mining a resource).
Metals: Find deposits of metals that can be harvested for your city.
Bones: Fossilized bones can be a wonderful glance into the past, and may be used for certain skills (when properly prepared). May also be combined to form a set.
Nugget: Golden nuggets are a much prized find for any miner, and may be traded in for a nice reward.

Comments

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Obligatory "how I mine for fish?"

But really, this seems interesting! And I bet a lot of the dwarves/forgers would love to pick this up.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • You know what would make this even more interesting is a passive or active that gives you resistances to heat, or some damages. Just thinking about mining and how tough it can make you.
    Just a Grook, member of House Mojushai and proud citizen of Cyrene.

- 2013/09/14 10:48:03 - Yxty says, "I will think about that while i punch this sheep."
  • Phraag said:
    You know what would make this even more interesting is a passive or active that gives you resistances to heat, or some damages. Just thinking about mining and how tough it can make you.
    Ever tried forging? Now there's where the fire resistance would come in handy. Or spent many days labouring away at a piece of armor, arm gets rather tiring hammering way haha.
  • TarausTaraus The Gypsy Wind
    I, for one, am highly disappointed I have not heard the term 'spelunking' used once.

• My problem with mining, or any kind of spelunking for resources/commodities(happy, @Taraus >P) is that most of the rewards are already common and easy enough to gain already. Especially coal. Most of the metal-type commodities got expanded to other denizen comm shops which helped to alleviate the difficulty in attaining them that we had in the past.

Now some of it looks nice for flavour and such... but it's effectively an unnecessary skill that will just be relegated to triggers to mindlessly wander around areas you can mine in.

Pass. I'd rather have tradeskills that actually do something that we all need, rather than just a mindless grind task to save some gold. I could spend that time instead bashing and get gold and buy the commodities that you'd hopefully get mining primarily for.
    When Canada rules the world,
    things will be... nii~ice.
  • Daklore said:
    My problem with mining, or any kind of spelunking for resources/commodities(happy, @Taraus >P) is that most of the rewards are already common and easy enough to gain already. Especially coal. Most of the metal-type commodities got expanded to other denizen comm shops which helped to alleviate the difficulty in attaining them that we had in the past.

Now some of it looks nice for flavour and such... but it's effectively an unnecessary skill that will just be relegated to triggers to mindlessly wander around areas you can mine in.

Pass. I'd rather have tradeskills that actually do something that we all need, rather than just a mindless grind task to save some gold. I could spend that time instead bashing and get gold and buy the commodities that you'd hopefully get mining primarily for.
    The whole point of the game is depth and time wasting (well time wasting is an objective thing). If the point of the game wasn't to have millions of things pointless, to semi-pointless then there probably wouldn't be like 50 different afflictions, or redundant skills. 
    Just a Grook, member of House Mojushai and proud citizen of Cyrene.

- 2013/09/14 10:48:03 - Yxty says, "I will think about that while i punch this sheep."
  • Ugh, I am agreeing with Xith and it just burns so much. It's like a little voice in the back of my head whispering death.

I can click it. I just need to breath deeply and...

I AM SO ASHAMED.
  • Like for cheaper steel, dislike for removal of a gold sink, hmm. Would probably make everything cost a little more and balance out anyway...

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    edited September 2013
    Katzchen said:
    Like for cheaper steel, dislike for removal of a gold sink, hmm. Would probably make everything cost a little more and balance out anyway...
    While I doubt that the proposal will be put in because of the labour involved, I could still see this working; RE: gold sink. Like what they did with ink milling and gathering: introduce new consumables needed for this trade skill to work, but provided by another trade skill that is time intensive. Also, sell them from an NPC for the lazy.

Sticks of dynamite, anyone?
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I'd rather gather my own stuff. I tend to devote a month just to gather reagents or ingredients and making more, just to fill up my rift. It costs roughly under a million gold just to get 10k steel. It would be quite a saving if I could gather some of that myself.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I always love being able to tell somebody IG what my job is, further than the obligatory 'Adventurer'. So far I can claim to be a bard (small b) on one character, the others are almost purely defined by their class. I think that, whilst mechanically insignificant in the long run, this skill would be a lovely addition to the game's flavour. Automation notwithstanding. This could also be the start of Prospecting league tables etc (a la Scarlattan Fellowship). Because Phaestus is awesome. Also would be a great new enemy of Oakstone, who have got to be getting bored of playing with Mhaldor by now.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Nizaris said:
    Katzchen said:
    Like for cheaper steel, dislike for removal of a gold sink, hmm. Would probably make everything cost a little more and balance out anyway...
    While I doubt that the proposal will be put in because of the labour involved, I could still see this working; RE: gold sink. Like what they did with ink milling and gathering: introduce new consumables needed for this trade skill to work, but provided by another trade skill that is time intensive. Also, sell them from an NPC for the lazy.

Sticks of dynamite, anyone?
    omg Dynamite. Why didnt I think of that. That would be an amazing touch to it XD.
  • dynamite: gather your commodities faster than digging/picking, but at the risk of blowing them up (scales with experience in skill, has potential for artie 'dynamite stick/explosives box' that functions like the artie cleaver - chance to get more while reducing chance to mutilate/blow up what you're gathering.

• Anaidiana said:
    dynamite: gather your commodities faster than digging/picking, but at the risk of blowing them up (scales with experience in skill, has potential for artie 'dynamite stick/explosives box' that functions like the artie cleaver - chance to get more while reducing chance to mutilate/blow up what you're gathering.

That's fracking brilliant!
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • edited September 2013
    @sylvance

...i see what you did there. 
    =D>

• I want to fish Lake Vundemere with TNT.
    ~
    You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
    Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.
  • How about we mine/fish/gather for talisman pieces? Now, wouldn't -that- be awesome?

Talisman for everyone and not just dragons!
  • Sasiya said:
    How about we mine/fish/gather for talisman pieces? Now, wouldn't -that- be awesome?

Talisman for everyone and not just dragons!
    Could definitely see ancient talisman pieces found by miners in their dig sites ^^
  • Could find yourself digging too deep.

• And you'll find all the Hidden Fun Stuff!
  • edited September 2013
    Speaking of which, from this point on, I will train all my proteges Dwarf Fortress-style.

[spoiler]
    [/spoiler]

ARE YOU HAVING FUN YET?!