Surnames

12346»

Comments

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Eld said:
    Achilles said:
    Personally I don't think having a surname should be required.  Achaea is at the very least, strongly influenced by Greek mythology.  The iconic Gods, Goddess and Heroes didn't have surnames.

Hercules
    Achilles
    Medusa
    Theseus
    Ajax
    Hector
    Odysseus

Personally I think it would be cool if they adopted the greek habit of adding their parents to differentiate them (and its even easier in Achaea since there won't be 20 Michaels).  i.e. Ada, Daughter of Ashden
    But would that be Ajax the Greater or Ajax the Lesser?
    Wouldn't be necessary given the fact there can only be one Ajax.  Maybe something like that in the case of Halo, Halios, Halos can be made.
  • Achilles said:
    Eld said:
    Achilles said:
    Personally I don't think having a surname should be required.  Achaea is at the very least, strongly influenced by Greek mythology.  The iconic Gods, Goddess and Heroes didn't have surnames.

Hercules
    Achilles
    Medusa
    Theseus
    Ajax
    Hector
    Odysseus

Personally I think it would be cool if they adopted the greek habit of adding their parents to differentiate them (and its even easier in Achaea since there won't be 20 Michaels).  i.e. Ada, Daughter of Ashden
    But would that be Ajax the Greater or Ajax the Lesser?
    Wouldn't be necessary given the fact there can only be one Ajax.  Maybe something like that in the case of Halo, Halios, Halos can be made.
    In Achaea it wouldn't, no, but you were offering those as examples of "iconic Gods, Goddesses and Heroes [who] didn't have surnames". I was just pointing out that the two Ajaxes of the Iliad, while they didn't have surnames, were identified either by Greater or Lesser, or by their homelands or ancestry, the latter of which serve the same function as surnames. I don't see why identifying people by their parentage is preferable to identifying them by surnames.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    I was giving an example of how ancient Greeks did it.  The original comment was whether surnames should be required.  Most people have them, don't know when it happened but the earlier generation of Achaeans never had surnames.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Skye said:
    edit: I've been told by Cooper that 'he doesn't know any Sa'Rithvens, not even (lol)Osis' so since he's an old fart and doesn't remember, then I have to quote a different surname instead.
    The following members of the clan of The Sa'Rithven Family are in the realms:
    Krypton Urth'Auren, Navigator of the Infinite
    Pity the thought of having kids scares the sh*t out of me.
    Iocun said:
    Yeah, requiring surnames would be a bit silly. Not only because Greek mythology. Simply because of the fact that Achaea isn't a modern, standardized world. You really don't have to go back to ancient Greece to find cultures in which there are no surnames or they aren't particularly important.
    Conversely, though, you can travel as far back as ancient Greek times and find non-modern cultures that DID already consider surnames important. Like ancient China.
  • edited March 2013
    People should limit themselves to two surnames though, no matter how great they may be, always told that to Aliath's kids, stick with two even if if means dropping the Tiarell part
  • edited April 2013
    I forget if I posted here or not, but Quoren gave Cinya her surname, though he only intended it as a nickname at the time. Then when she left Shallam (the first time) and was eager for an excuse to shed her Shallamese surname, "Ravensong" popped right into her mind. 

I have mixed feelings about the name itself since I don't usually like compound-word-surnames, but I absolutely LOVE the backstory.

RIP @Quoren. :(
    Mathonwy said:
    dactylic hexameter is
    way more interesting than the inside of anyone's vagina.
  • YueYue
    edited April 2013
    Chryenth said:
    I think that's spelled 'ninny'.
    no

nini

edit: ^retarded last name

I like the clean, distinctly Achaean (non-random-english words, non-AdjectiveNoun names) like Rozzan, Corten, Vallah, etc.
  • Solhar is mine, courtesy of @Zahan. We're a dying family! Alliteration with the rest of the name has stuck, I apologise.

As long as your title, inclusive of your surname, is short and sweet, we can be friends. No underlines or adjectives. And I swear, there are some families that just boom out of nowhere, I swear, there's a conspiracy... 
    :-w

• Reih's started out as D'Ischai, became Windsong-D'Ischai when Tohran bloodlined her, then Windsong-Hayabusa when Stephine decided to change it, then went back and forth a bit while she was going through major family drama, and finally went back to D'Ischai. Then she married Hermaldo, so now it's Fireheart - which, I find Herm's post up there hysterical because he was all excited about continuing the family name when he and Reih got married. But yes, I do find the name rather corny, although it flows well with Reihaneh.

Hyphenated surnames kind of bug me. Especially when two people with hyphenated surnames marry one another. There are waaaay too many hyphenated surnames in Achaea.
  • Amseli, used to describe moths, I think.  Chosen surname.  Zii's drawn toward glory like a moth to the flame.
    *Animated Signature*

• JiraishinJiraishin skulking
    Judicator Tesha the Justice, the Golden Justice?

Still awesome, though.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Achilles said:

Hercules
    Achilles
    Medusa
    Theseus
    Ajax
    Hector
    Odysseus

That's because no one really had them until the middle ages. Traditionally a person would use the name of the city they lived in when describing themself.

• edited July 2013
    Coeur said:
    Solhar is mine, courtesy of @Zahan. We're a dying family! Alliteration with the rest of the name has stuck, I apologise.

As long as your title, inclusive of your surname, is short and sweet, we can be friends. No underlines or adjectives. And I swear, there are some families that just boom out of nowhere, I swear, there's a conspiracy... 
    :-w
    You have two adjectives in your title 'Curiously Casual Coeur Solha, Captivating Charmer'. You're not friends with yourself?

Smithson had to do with me wanting a generic name for Jonners (AKA John Smith) as I had never planned to get parents for him. It was a happy coincidence he was Phaestean for so long.
    ~
    You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
    Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.
  • Longshanks FTW. I know it's plainly OOC historical, but it's one of the most culturally enriched bloodlines in the entire game. Danial, Vallah, Lokelinde, Teircel. Old school surnames carry a lot of inter-game heritage. I have a lolalt that's a Von Mordenheim. <---------I love that name.
  • I was always rather happy with the sound of 'Ruthras' as Zenui's surname. (Though the origin of it is a bit silly: take Arthur, spell it backwards, and put an 's' at the end to make it sound nicer.)