Blademasters

So I was talking on warriors about how to deal with Blademasters, since every single time I've fought one I either end up out of willpower, essence, or both, and dead.  If you don't know essence allows me to suffuse my mana and thus clot.  I can survive 2-3 brokenstar double-leg break attempts but I think that's about the limit.  At any rate, I made this thread to get people who fight, not the general populace, input about blademasters.

The saying amongst most fighters is you just don't fight blademasters.  That's crap, is completely true, and nothing is being done about them or their issues from what has been said.  No other class can completely wipe you out in such a short period of time (WP or death because hand-in-hand, atleast death doesnt have you meditating for 10 minutes) and has such an easy instakill to pull off.*

*except maybe dragon and even then plenty of classes can survive a double bite with storm but atleast Dragon doesnt destroy your WP

How do you fight BMs and how are you avoiding the 0 WP issue?  How do you propose to fix this class if you've thought about it?  I think clot WP drain should be cut by four or just pull clotting off WP and the class would be fine.  It would still be extremely strong but at least I could fight them and not have to worry about BM-clot WP drain and dying to no WP so quickly.
-----------------------------
@DontarionDrakor for twitter boredom.

Comments

• The most effective counter to blademasters in general that I know of is to run on impaleslash and wait for it to wear off. It's really annoying on both sides, but more effective than anything else I've encountered.

The problem with the wp drain from clot isn't, I think, so much due to the base cost as to the fact that impaleslash increases it by 4x. If impaleslash were changed to just increase mana cost and leave wp cost alone, you'd avoid the annoyingly fast wp drain of a failed brokenstar attempt without impacting the viability of the finisher at all.

• Eld said:
    The most effective counter to blademasters in general that I know of is to run on impaleslash and wait for it to wear off. It's really annoying on both sides, but more effective than anything else I've encountered.

The problem with the wp drain from clot isn't, I think, so much due to the base cost as to the fact that impaleslash increases it by 4x. If impaleslash were changed to just increase mana cost and leave wp cost alone, you'd avoid the annoyingly fast wp drain of a failed brokenstar attempt without impacting the viability of the finisher at all.
    This is what I'm doing now.  Impaleslash means flee as it stands but that's boring like you said.
    -----------------------------
    @DontarionDrakor for twitter boredom.

• XerXer Langley
    It also means that they still eventually drain your wp since even that alone is a faster wp drain than pretty much anything else
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • swk
    swk
    swk
    swk
    swk
    swk
    axk

lol ringmail + can't mount/kai heal/balancing

As to "Why not eliminate wp multiplier on Impaleslash?" @Tecton call

That being said, I demolish all Blademasters.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    I kill them once, and then they ask for a reduel and I have no wp, generally.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    buy robes of magi, buy lyre.

Sothantos and Tanris once dueled for 2 hours where Tanris lyre'd everytime he got impaled slash (and voidfisted)

The willpower drain from clotting means you only have a small number of chances (varies per class) at getting your setup right.  Some unartied race specs can't survive a bstar setup period.
  • Even if you run on impaleslash it just means the Blademaster will go for a quad break with hamstring and just impaleslash after the breaks, impale and reimpale to get the combo off. So running or lyre'ing on impaleslash isn't always an option.

They should really just make impaleslashed clots cost the same willpower as non-impaleslashed clots.
  • If they feel the need to go for a quad break, that's already a small victory though, as it means they have to spend more time to drain your wp. Going for quad breaks not only means prepping time, it also means they can't keep up rebounding, increasing your offensive power quite a lot if your offence is stopped by rebounding.

What can be quite significant too is controlling your clotting while impaleslashed. Don't just always clot all bleeding on any impaleslash. If they just dry-impale/impaleslash without any kind of break, that won't suffice to brokenstar me, so I don't have to clot everything and can leave most to my moss tattoo, and thus save quite a lot of willpower. Granted, I also have quite a few arties that help a lot against BM's (circlet of will being extremely helpful).

That being said, impaleslashed clots definitely shouldn't have their increased wp drain.
    The best way to beat a blademaster is to be a better blademaster.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
  • Everyone is a better blademaster.
  • I exclusively quadbroke and it didn't take more than a couple of minutes to prep. Air and flame fist really made it easy. The only thing that slowed me down was a mount.

• The difference between dual and quad prep is like 6 slashes.

1.6s per slash.

I auto cycled hamstring, so my opponents were never mounted.

Easy street.
  • BM so scary.
  • edited June 2013
    If everyone think's BM's impaleslash needs to be toned down a bit then give BM's something to do in raids besides stand there and summon spark. I mean look at the BM classlead update, we basically got left in the dust while other classes got what they wanted in the updates. The BM lobby is so weak, their is hardly any support for the class. 75 percent of the BM's in my house switched out of their classes the past 2 months. Doesn't that say something?

Every class has a few over powered skills. Impaleslash is one of the skills that if it gets toned down too much would lead to destroying the BM class.
  • EldEld
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, quadbreak not too hard if the person doesn't just run on arm breaks. Seems like most people do, though.
  • Yeah, no, Nyboe. Also, armslash/hamstring. You get balance before the move through hamstring and can break legs. Gg.

• Dunn said:
    Yeah, no, Nyboe. Also, armslash/hamstring. You get balance before the move through hamstring and can break legs. Gg.
    Isn't hobbling only a one-second delay? Depends on how fast they react to the break, I guess, but I've had trouble with it in the past. I'm also not very good, though.
  • Just follow them
  • edited June 2013
    ...yeah, or just wait for an attack like a logical human being.

Shit, you can probably get both slashes in before they get balance back.

And, man, I had so much fun in raids on evade suicide missions. Doppie cover + PT alerts? fapfapfap

@Nyboe The point is that the willpower multiplier in Impale slash doesn't serve any purpose. It just forces a very premature draw, since the victim would hit red willpower in 2-3 failed attempts - which would take about 3-4 minutes.

Although it was great for winning absolutely any arena event.
  • Can enter to start hobble off bal iirc? I was just saying in the case they actually exit the room in time ... Just follow
  • Yah if they move one room they're still going to be hobbling so whatever. I never had a problem with that. It was muuuuch more reliable than just two leg set ups.

• @mizik Shin burst doesn't serve any purpose either but its not being removed. And 3-4 minutes is a lot of time. That sounds fair to get a draw in that amount of time.
  • Shin burst isn't largely imbalanced so your point is invalid. 3-4 minutes is not a lot of time for a decent fight. Where does getting a draw come in to it?
    I have had fun fights last around 10-15 mins. 4 mins is boring

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • Shit you should've seen Tanris fight Tirac.

• Longest fight I ever had was 45 minutes. Was one of my more memorable/favourites too.

Sounds like a new thread though
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Dunn said:

Shit you should've seen Tanris fight Tirac.

Kalvon vs Tirac was even longer. A slight limb miscalculation can cause a knight vs knight fight to spiral into eternity as well

• You can prep exceedingly quickly as a BM, but you get to the point where you're rarely allowed to do that.  Knights with strong rapiers force you to back off quite frequently just from the damage, and between that and the affs it can take a lot longer to prep than you might think.

But yeah, the wp cost is pretty dumb.  It definitely shouldn't be increased by Impaleslash.