Mundane jobs

2»

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Yes please to this idea

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• I don't like the idea of actually requiring someone to do any of these (like not restocking comm shops without them, for example), even if they are made more fun and interesting than fishing. They should be completely optional.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    Melodie said:
    This smells suspiciously like Mabinogi to me. But I kind of like that (for once). The idea that your character spends their offtime doing whatever for whatever reason just gives a way for further character development, not to mention something easy to show novices. It would be extra neat if it went towards actual stocking of (some) denizen shops, though a low-ish level per job. Using Cyrene as an example, you could gather things to fill Amadeo's cafe or help Melodia, you could make arrows (or gather feathers?) for the fletcher, gather thread for Dahlia, make nails/horseshoes for Bruggio. There's so much -life- you could pump into this if done right. Would love to have it. I want to make candlesticks! And brew tea.
    Yes ma'am please and thank you ma'am

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • I actually like this idea a lot. I am a huge fan of anything that increases the RP value of Achaea. Many people assume that combat is the end all be all of Achaea and all the other stuff is just wallpaper. I river fish, alot, i mean alot alot it's almost all i do anymore and I actually really enjoy it. I would love to think that there were other options besides bashing, ratting and running all over the world after small fetch and deliver quests. I mean seriously how many times can you deliver a packet of fish for Craden before you demand that he hire an assistant at his shop.
  • edited April 2013

I've thought very hard about mundane jobs and interaction with existing systems and found the best possible option: gong farmer. The sewers would slowly clogs themselves up and requires brave adventurers to shovels away solid wastes, otherwise they would overflow into the streets.

While the use of the profession was before sewers in their current Achaean forms were available, they sometimes died from asphyxiation which would require no adaptation for current citizens.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    @Sarapis - As long as it's limited how much it can be influenced, I can definitely be on board about that. What about the other suggestions of effecting non-commodity shops? I still think this has a great potential to be something fun and entertaining on several levels, especially within one's own city. It can still stock shops (perhaps even a limited, new item or two per shop in some cases, which is similar to something Eleusis has), and still provide usefulness -and- deepening character depth.

Just a thought!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby

• Melodie said:
    @Sarapis - As long as it's limited how much it can be influenced, I can definitely be on board about that. What about the other suggestions of effecting non-commodity shops? I still think this has a great potential to be something fun and entertaining on several levels, especially within one's own city. It can still stock shops (perhaps even a limited, new item or two per shop in some cases, which is similar to something Eleusis has), and still provide usefulness -and- deepening character depth. Just a thought!
    I like your idea of adding something limited new items. Something that could be as simple as a scabbard that is patriotic to your particular city, or journals with the city seal on them. Just small things like that to add a bit of patriotism to the cities themselves.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I find that sort of thing to be fun and gives a sense of giving back to the city.

I had lots of fun with the orphans in Ashtan before they all got nuked. I'd set them up as apprentices instead of taking them to the orphanage (sorry!) because I found it far more enjoyable.

It's peanuts in rewards for someone Kyrra's level but I like having things to do. It's never about the rewards.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Again i would love to see this idea implemented though not on a strictly city basis. I don't have a citizenship anywhere are there are others who don't either that may enjoy this type of thing
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I would like to see some things added and some thing expanded upon, potentially in regards to this. For instance, allowing mining for ores which can then be refined into bars to be used for forging. Sort of along the same lines as Inkmilling, taking natural resources and refining them to be used practically. 

Can maybe even add panning for gold as a low level way to earn gold, along the same lines as ratting. 

• Well, on the DL (or not), I had a thought for GoM members being able to assist in mining to procure metals for themselves, or depositing unusable ores into mining carts as part of a quest. Restricted to the clan's members though. Because unfortunately people in Achaea rarely get into something purely for the roleplay of it. Have to see some mechanical result or it's useless.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Xith said:
    Well, on the DL (or not), I had a thought for GoM members being able to assist in mining to procure metals for themselves, or depositing unusable ores into mining carts as part of a quest. Restricted to the clan's members though. Because unfortunately people in Achaea rarely get into something purely for the roleplay of it. Have to see some mechanical result or it's useless.
    Bit harsh.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Sylvance said:
    Xith said:
    Well, on the DL (or not), I had a thought for GoM members being able to assist in mining to procure metals for themselves, or depositing unusable ores into mining carts as part of a quest. Restricted to the clan's members though. Because unfortunately people in Achaea rarely get into something purely for the roleplay of it. Have to see some mechanical result or it's useless.
    Bit harsh.
    Bit true. Everyone's first reaction to defense of Moghedu was 'that's illegal'. Cause xp is more important than rp.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Xith said:
    Sylvance said:
    Xith said:
    Bit harsh.
    Bit true. Everyone's first reaction to defense of Moghedu was 'that's illegal'. Cause xp is more important than rp.
    I'd say that at least half of the objections I've heard were on RP grounds. *shrug*
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Sylvance said:
    Xith said:
    Sylvance said:
    Xith said:
    Bit harsh.
    I'd say that at least half of the objections I've heard were on RP grounds. *shrug*

Really? What kind of objection were there from an RP point of view? Moghedu allied with them, they allied with moghedu, and an npc from moghedu even made a newspost to make it clear, yet people were still whinning about being ganked and harassed in moghedu and it all being illegal in a very OOC fashion.

The only problem with the guardians is that what they set off to do requires many more numbers and dedication than they currently have.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Well, there are people who complain on RP grounds of how members of the GoM go about it. Of course, in some of those cases it's still people just being pissed off that they can't bash what they want to and looking for RP-based complaints as a pretense.
    Shirszae said:

The only problem with the guardians is that what they set off to do requires many more numbers and dedication than they currently have.

That, alas, is very true.