"There is no room for another ship in that harbour"

2»

Comments

• Kyrra said:
    Or better yet, ships not sailed within X amount of years get decommissioned for scrap material.
    If a ship is docked (in a manmade harbour) for 2 Achaean years, it's automatically put into drydock and doesn't take up harbour space.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Sena said:

Kyrra said:

Or better yet, ships not sailed within X amount of years get decommissioned for scrap material.

If a ship is docked (in a manmade harbour) for 2 Achaean years, it's automatically put into drydock and doesn't take up harbour space.

Ah. Still a while to wait. Thanks, Sena
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Kyrra said:
    Personally, I'd want to see houseboats towed out of harbours and left in a river. Implement expensive penalty rates for parking ships that don't have any use other than taking up space for years at a time. It really doesn't seem fair that the people who actually use ships for their intended purpose are getting penalised by full harbours. Or better yet, ships not sailed within X amount of years get decommissioned for scrap material.
    Or maybe get like, put in some kind of special dock? Like one that is dry?
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I've never felt the desire to buy a ship. I only have a limited understanding of how ships work and sailing didn't exist at all when I was last active.

I know boats get dry-docked but I didn't know that freed up space in harbours. Play nice, @Eld ;)
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• EldEld
    edited February 2013
    Kyrra said:
    I've never felt the desire to buy a ship. I only have a limited understanding of how ships work and sailing didn't exist at all when I was last active. I know boats get dry-docked but I didn't know that freed up space in harbours. Play nice, @Eld ;)
    Sorry, that extra forum star seems to have somehow left me with extra snark that I have to let out every now and then. I actually had to double check the HELP to make sure it did free up the space.
  • The thing with drydock is that retrieving the ship is so expensive and time delayed that people duck out of the harbour and dock again every week or so to avoid getting drydocked.

• I agree, I'd like if drydock was actually desirable for someone who rarely uses their ship, rather than being more of a punishment.
  • Sena said:
    I agree, I'd like if drydock was actually desirable for someone who rarely uses their ship, rather than being more of a punishment.
    The fee (5k gold, iirc) is small enough that it will equal crew wages on a windcutter with normal crew at fair pay in around 2 weeks, if I'm not way off on the math , less time for a larger ship/larger crew/higher wages. Maybe if the fee were reduced to say 2-3k, and the time to get the boat out of drydock (currently ~an hour) were eliminated or drastically reduced?

For the problem at hand, though, I'd prefer to just see the hard limits on harbour space eliminated.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Better still, let me sink the useless ships in harbour.

Kidding. Though if we could remove the docking limits for harbours, they would be a really great move.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• I agree with removing limits, but ONLY to manmade harbours.

Consider the following: A harbour that sees a lot of business from ships will be doing a tidy business, and have incentive for expansion. They also have the ability to expand. Natural harbours have neither of these, and should stay limited.

Alternatively, have Maelstrom or Hawkins come up with a new method of mooring ships out in the harbour, allowing for significantly improved harbour capacity.
  • I kind of like the idea of changing drydock time limits based on the dock.
    So Tasur'ke/Shastaan/Thraasi = 24 months.
    Common halfway points with lower docking fees = 12 months. or 7 months

This would prevent that inconvenience where someone on a sailing mission has to suddenly dock and can't because the convenient halfway point between Shastaan and Thraasi is full. Cheaper docking but less accommodation for the ships that are docked. They would correctly serve the function of being waypoints rather than permanent docks.

Other thoughts:
    - Much shorter drydock (2-3 months) while a dock is full, but no drydocking otherwise.
    - Double/triple cost to use a number of "prestige" docks if all normal docking slots are full.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • edited February 2013
    Tanaar said:
    I agree with removing limits, but ONLY to manmade harbours.

Consider the following: A harbour that sees a lot of business from ships will be doing a tidy business, and have incentive for expansion. They also have the ability to expand. Natural harbours have neither of these, and should stay limited.
    The problem with that is most of the natural harbours are the ones on the islands where there is no alternate port.

I do like the idea of moorings though, especially if the ship docked the longest is the one sent out the moorings once dock capacity is reached. Perhaps a ferry ride to the mooring? It could replace drydock - realistically you wouldn't drydock a ship unless it was undergoing repairs.

• Ognog said:
    The problem with that is most of the natural harbours are the ones on the islands where there is no alternate port.

and stuff
    Note also that ship trade harbours are all manmade (I'm pretty sure).
  • Shala-Khulia? I forget.
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    Shala-Khulia is man-made.

Please remove docking limits and make drydock more affordable. Redocking a ship is less expensive than removing from drydock, so more ships will remain in harbour unsailed.

Does anyone know how fast crew loses experience when the ship is drydocked?
  • Oceana said:
    Shala-Khulia is man-made.

Please remove docking limits and make drydock more affordable. Redocking a ship is less expensive than removing from drydock, so more ships will remain in harbour unsailed.

Does anyone know how fast crew loses experience when the ship is drydocked?
    It's somewhat inconsequential, they regenerate it fairly fast when you undrydock, up to about where it had been before.