Targossas, the Dawnspear

Comments

• Delphinus said:
    Veldrin said:
    A proper name is bloody well important. Don't expect the 'Singing Violins' to be a group of butchers.
     I'd expect it to be a Blademaster sword.
    For a Cyrenian!
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Beatrice said:

I come from Targotthhhatthhhhhhh <--result of no more teeth

• edited February 2013
    Vayne said:
    There are plenty of cool ancient Greek cities that have not been used yet!
    I personally think Pergamum or Ephesus would be pretty sweetnames
    I can see my house from here :D.

p.s: imma call it Targ. You damn Targians. (Targaryens? :O).
  • Beatrice said:
     I hate the name but not like anything we say matters in the end.

You wanted the Church gone and got your wish. You wanted Shallam gone and got your wish. You wanted our Divine gone and got your wish. Not like you can kick us in the teeth anymore, we don't have any left.

I come from Targotthhhatthhhhhhh <--result of no more teeth
    :))

haha thanks Synbios, I was thinking like a serpent when I wrote that
    you seem bitter

• Beatrice said:

That may or may not have been me practicing yoga.
    :-j
    She can point them fingers at me all day, I'd still tap it

• SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    Targossans sound weird. How about fusing Refugees and Targossas and just call them ReTargs?
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• If I was a refugee when they unveiled that name then this would have been me:

• I keep calling it Tunguska, which would probably be more suitable if the place was over a wide expanse of ice.
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• Honestly, the only thing that matters is cool guard types. City name will be irrelevant when we're punching people in the teeth.
  • edited February 2013
    Wysteria said:
    I keep calling it Tunguska, which would probably be more suitable if the place was over a wide expanse of ice.
    Appropriate, given what happened recently in Russia:

• The City of Targossas with its guards, Teeth-Punchers and coconut crabs to rip open your chainmail as you lie there in cold blood should you fall on the island of Solace Bay?

• They did wander the desert for a few years. Have we considered "Shalom"?
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Xith said:
    They did wander the desert for a few years. Have we considered "Shalom"?
    I guess naming the city "Peace" could work. People might keep thinking of it as a greeting though and go, "Hey, let's go explore Hello". Culturally sensitive?

• OR

"My name ain't Shallam no more. It's ICE."

I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    God, that movie brings back fond childhood memories.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • To be honest I like the name. I do not really see anything wrong with it. It is long and would be hell for anyone with a lisp to say as Beatrice pointed out (and really, who is the jerk that put an 's' in 'lisp'?) but I do not see the big deal. Maybe it is just the name of the area, and maybe the city itself will be named something else. I would honestly be fine with either. There is not going to be a name that everyone agrees on, and Targossas seems as good as any. Maybe it has an important in-game meaning or significance that will explained soon. 

I get the feeling people are complaining primarily because this is a process, and we are at the most difficult hard part: waiting. It would be really nice if we could start building up the houses while we build the new city, and I hope that we will see change/building much more rapidly now (as in, not 6 more weeks from now). Right now, we are kind of limited in what we can do. PVP is pretty much limited to Hashan which is dying down because, well, I feel like they have been defeated already and it is starting to feel griefy. Ashtan is not enjoyable to fight at all (I really do not want to get into that here) and they often get in the way of fighting Mhaldor as well, although unintentionally at times. 

I understand these things can take a while, but I think at least some of the complaining is because others just do not really have much else to do. It is a case of creating your own enjoyment, and one can only do that for so long before frustration sets in - as is shown here (from the Shallam players, at least. No idea why the others are complaining too.). Some may truly not like the name, but maybe it will grow on them. It is certainly not the most important part of the city - remember that this is a chance at a fresh slate, something no other city has been offered. Voicing discontent is fine, but I think things might be going a bit too far. 

All in all, I think everything will be fine once we can start working on the houses, or if we get little assignments now and then to help build the city up. Once we get the opportunity to start actual building and working on consolidating what the new houses will be, I am sure things will be much more enjoyable. I really look forward to seeing the evolution of the city and how things change as buildings are completed. We have waited this long, and we are at a better spot now. Lets try to stay positive and make the most of this. :)

i'm a rebel

• So uh... Off the topic of names, do you guys have a tent or something? Or are you just kinda standing out in blizzards.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Delphinus said:
    So uh... Off the topic of names, do you guys have a tent or something? Or are you just kinda standing out in blizzards.
    outside, we have a campfire though
  • No one I've talked to likes the name Targossas OOCly (both Achaeans and my poor friends that have to listen to me talk about MUDs). A shame.
  • I still like the name Targossas, but I change my stance to 'I like Targossas as the area name around the new city which should deserve a better name.'

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I find it amusing that ever since they partially closed the poll thread, the number of people who dislikes the name has grown to be almost 50%

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Shirszae said:
    I find it amusing that ever since they partially closed the poll thread, the number of people who dislikes the name has grown to be almost 50%
    They only kept the thread open for 15-20 minutes. When they closed it, there was a majority of people disliking the name, and ~3 admin liking it, but they still said 'w/e'. They even ignored the whole 'an admin posted this so more people than normal are going to agree with it' stuff. If I had posted the same thread you would have seen much different results.