Targossas, the Dawnspear

Comments

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Tvistor said:

Okay, listen here.

It's updating me on whenever this thread gets posted in. I can't figure out why but I demand everyone stops posting, because I have like 15 notifications, and none of them are telling me an attractive girl has messaged me (or Cooper, who is close enough). This is unacceptable.

Thanks.
    Unclick the gold star
  • You are a beautiful man, Achilles. A beautiful man.
  • Damn you, Achilles. Just think of the fun that could have been had!
  • Here @Tvistor, have a gold star. For EVERY THREAD.
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited February 2013
    Targossas, the Dawnspear

fix'd

Jk I don't mind the name. I submitted a bunch of weird mashed up Hindi words for shit like "Fire" and "Righteous" so be glad one of those didn't get accepted.

Targossas actually sounds Germanic / old Franconian, so feel free to picture us as kilt-wearing rebel fighters.

• I hope you'll forgive me for interrupting the bitching about the name, but being surrounded by waterfalls is so great. I'm also glad there's a harbor, I was a little worried about that. Now I can join the navy again!
  • Eh, like I said, I can live with the name -- everything else is pretty awesome, and I'm really looking forwards to what the Garden have in mind for the city -- but the argument that we finally have a new place and that we should just be grateful for whatever we get is completely and that 'someone will always hate it' is completely irrelevant to its value as a name. It's not just a small minority that dislikes it right now. Additionally, there's more to determining the flow of a name, theme, and 'feel' of a name than just the number of letters in it.

That having been said, though, I guess it's too much trouble to change it now.
  • HaldonHaldon I forgot...
    Well damn, no Funky Town. But at least there is not one single apostrophe, underscore or accent anywhere in the name!

A name is a name. In time we will become accustomed to Trashcan er... I mean Targossas/Targosas.
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead.
    edited February 2013
    Haldon said:
    A name is a name. In time we will become accustomed to Trashcan
    That's actually Ashtan's old name :P

• HaldonHaldon I forgot...

Aktillum said:
    Haldon said:
    A name is a name. In time we will become accustomed to Trashcan
    That's actually Ashtan's old name :P
    Well dang it.
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead.
  • edited February 2013
    Sothantos said:
    but the argument that we finally have a new place and that we should just be grateful for whatever we get is completely and that 'someone will always hate it' is completely irrelevant to its value as a name. It's not just a small minority that dislikes it right now.
    "Someone will always hate it" may be irrelevant to its value as a name, but it's not irrelevant to the question of whether it should be changed, based on the number of people objecting to it.

If we go by the assumption that there will always be a significant portion of players who will dislike whatever name they settle on (which I find a reasonable assumption, seeing how important a name for such a city is and how picky people are therefore going to be), then it would require a clearly overwhelming disagreement with the current name to justify changing it to something different.

It would be different if people objected to the name because it's obviously silly ("Hugglebuggletown", "Phrglbmmm") or derivative ("Avalon", "Isengard", "Chicago"), but the major complaints seem to be that it "just doesn't sound quite right".
  • @Vayne - I suggested Phoenicia. Similar time period, not tied to Greece, excellent 'from the ashes' imagery
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Phoenicia is a little too close to Phocia, for me. Although pretty.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • The name's Targossas, though I wouldn't object strenuously to Phoenicia being recycled for something else, similarly excellent.
  • edited February 2013
    Horatio said:
    Too long compared to other city names? It's only 2 letters longer than Mhaldor. I think most of us in Achaea, even the non-native english speakers, can handle 9 lettered words by now :P
    Eh, it's not that it's too long. It might be that there are a lot of similar sounds near each other, and they mimic other, more familiar words. Probably what makes me stumble. (As a monolingual English speaker, I'll admit that I may be subject to bias.) This all sounds like nitpicking, but I guess people are right to nitpick when it's something this important.

Iocun said:

It would be different if people objected to the name because it's obviously silly ("Hugglebuggletown", "Phrglbmmm") or derivative ("Avalon", "Isengard", "Chicago"), but the major complaints seem to be that it "just doesn't sound quite right".
    Again, the specific complaint for me is that it's awkward to say/spell. I suspect that there'll be an outcry if it's changed, so it probably won't happen, although I am somewhat jealous of Aetolia in this regard.

That said, it isn't a huge deal. I'm able to work around it, even if it discomfits me to some degree.
    edited February 2013
    To-Go Sauce

• Targossas

Boom! Now it fits with the length/# of syllables/feel of other city names.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    I keep accidentally typing it as Targasso :(

• I read this initially as Targossas, the Destroyer. It doesn't seem very fitting for a Good-aligned city, I think. Some cities have names that kinda rhyme with their theme as well. Cyrene : Serene, Mhaldor : Mordor, etc. Maybe do an IG questionnaire event with *shallam instead of a forums one?

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • I just keep calling it Targossa. Sounds better without the last S as far as I can see.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • I read this initially as Targossas, the Destroyer. It doesn't seem very fitting for a Good-aligned city, I think. Some cities have names that kinda rhyme with their theme as well. Cyrene : Serene, Mhaldor : Mordor, etc. Maybe do an IG questionnaire event with *shallam instead of a forums one?
    Good is as good does. Cities aren't "good" because their name sounds one way or another - they're good because of what they do or don't do.
  • I read this initially as Targossas, the Destroyer. It seems very fitting for a city that destroys Evil.
    ftfy
  • edited February 2013
    I'm rather amused at how big of a deal this name is becoming. It's a name. Get used to it!

Trevize calls it New Shallam.

My knight alt firmly believes it will fall into the sea, so hasn't bothered paying attention, but does call it Targossas when it is brought to his attention.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • A proper name is bloody well important. Don't expect the 'Singing Violins' to be a group of butchers.