Landmark System Overhaul

I think this pretty much speaks for itself.

ANNOUNCE NEWS #3773
Date: 1/26/2013 at 6:33
To : Everyone
Subj: Landmark overhaul

We've just released a massive overhaul to our LANDMARK system,
comprising of some great new features that will assist adventurers of
all levels in traversing Sapience!

First up, we've added a slew of new landmarks around the world! You'll
also find each of the player cities, Delos, and New Thera all have
localised landmarks to help you find the closest arena, bank, post
office, and many more.

Secondly, we've done away with the manual movement to landmarks, you can
now WALK TO <LANDMARK> once, and we'll take over from there, guiding you
automatically to your destination. Keep in mind that all of the regular
movement hindrances will still affect you while you're traversing, so
keep a close eye on things.

Thirdly, we've added personal landmarks! Each adventurer has 5 marks
that they can place at any personally important location around
Sapience, and return to with a simple command. Need more than 5? We've
added a simple method to purchase additional marks for 100 lessons each.

Check out HELP LANDMARKS for all of the details!

Penned by My hand on the 8th of Mayan, in the year 616 AF.

Comments

• KitarelKitarel Edmonton, Alberta
    I love this. And you can use LESSONS.
  • Yep, +1 @Admins :)
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • HaldonHaldon I forgot...
    Yes I think it's great, I am lazy when it comes to walking in Achaea. And the personal locations is a nifty addition too. Thank you.

I am with Jules though, I got all excited thinking that landmark conflict was back. I know folks hated it but a few of us liked it.
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead.
  • Wait, does it still take balance every move?

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Neat! No @Katzchen it doesn't take balance you just move every 2 seconds, so it's rather slow.

Love that you use lessons for it

Just wish it worked through subdivision/wilderness too :P

• This is great! Thanks for the implementation. It should be especially convenient for novices trying to navigate such a vast world.

Any chance of a quest system overhaul in the future? I love the quest log features you find on some of the other IRE games.
  • Sounds really handy, especially for those 'my city was blown up' types!
  • Sultani said:
    This is great! Thanks for the implementation. It should be especially convenient for novices trying to navigate such a vast world.

Any chance of a quest system overhaul in the future? I love the quest log features you find on some of the other IRE games.
    I think someone said they were working on a new quest system.
  • I'm excited about this! I noticed it last night when I didn't have to keep bashing WALK TO ASHTAN. The personal landmarks is a great idea, got to think of what mine will be.  Would they work even in unmapped areas?
  • This is really cool and I am excited for the implications for really new players. :) (Sooo wish I could landmark through wilderness though haha)

i'm a rebel

• Now all they need to do is add a landmarks system for sailing, so I don't have to micromanage my ship, and I'll be happy!
  • This is awesome!!!  Now teaching people how to get places will be less of a hassle..
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    @Iocun, you hurt me deep.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.

In seriousness though, this doesn't affect me too much, since I've been allowing Rakon's mudbot to 'accidentally' autowalk me into Mhaldor for a year now.
  • Very cool new feature, Admin Peeps!  My only annoyance with it is of the "two months ago, when I was a newbie, I had to find my own way around, in a non-stop thunderstorm, while being struck by lightning and murdered by creatures that gleefully stole vials from my cold, lifeless corpse because my 'healing system' was repeatedly mashing 'sipp helath [sic]' and screaming" variety.

You lucky bastards.
  • When I was a newbie, there wasn't any sort of auto-walking, or even MAP, and the old java client could only handle a small number of triggers without being cripplingly slow, so the only scripts I had were a bunch of name highlights for people to watch for and I had to turn triggers on, qw, then turn triggers off.

I like this change. I'm often too lazy to walk manually, and my auto-walking script is also limited by my laziness, so even for a non-newbie who knows their way around it's useful.
  • @Sena look at my sig and then look at every other place where we have summoned you for testing.  HOW ARE YOU LAZY
  • edited January 2013
    When I started there was no auto walk and I kind of got used to that, having to run laps around Sapience just for novice trials. I prefer to walk somewhere myself so that I don't end up walking through or near something I don't want to. My auto walk use these days is limited to finding my way when I'm lost or don't know where I'm going.. or when I'm just being lazy.

I like the new changes because it reduces the load on scripting systems and means that I can auto walk when I'm not using my normal client (Phone/Web clients).
  • Valden said:
    When I started there was no auto walk and I kind of got used to that, having to run laps around Sapience just for novice trials. I prefer to walk somewhere myself so that I don't end up walking through or near something I don't want to. My auto walk use these days is limited to finding my way when I'm lost or don't know where I'm going.. or when I'm just being lazy.

I like the new changes because it reduces the load on scripting systems and means that I can auto walk when I'm not using my normal client (Phone/Web clients).
    When you started, you raged so hard when I'd universe all over the place, and you'd have no freaking clue where you were. :P

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Katzchen said:
    Valden said:

When you started, you raged so hard when I'd universe all over the place, and you'd have no freaking clue where you were. :P
    You had me in a perpetual state of bewilderment... not much has changed
  • In the Mudlet mapper, you can do room mark <name> <room #> and then goto <mark you made before> as well. Just a tip!
  • @Vadimuses It was that feature that made us decide we may as well just implement it server-side.
  • Oh cool. Server-side do queue then next, please! Lusternia added that already - and it immensely helps those on permanent 200ms+ ping.
  • So, if the citizens of Mhaldor place more landmarks than the remains of Shallam, do they get a bonus to life essence?