Two years late but here is that 1000 credit rampage I promised.

Comments

• Driden said:
    well a quick fix is to change the format to a 1v1 bracket style tourny. requiring all combatants to strip and place all items in a container at the site. then providing there class relevant items for them. more work but also easier to demand following the rules. 
    Oh yez. Nekkid fight is a go. Oh yez!
  • If you want no arties, do no arties. Make an exception for Priest maces, Shikudo sticks, and DW scythes.

The rampage doesn't have to be fair to all.

It will be pretty easy to tell if the winner used arties.

• I don't know if it's not intended but shikudo can get a non artie staff from Judgement mountain and use it instead of the artied staff. I tested lv1 and lv0 breakpoints this way.
  • There is no Artefact staff, it is something you attach to a normal staff that turns it into one. Now, I don't know if you can go request another one, however.
  • Puxi said:
    There is no Artefact staff, it is something you attach to a normal staff that turns it into one. Now, I don't know if you can go request another one, however.
    Technically there -is- one, but it's a talisman artefact.

• Cooper said:
    If you want no arties, do no arties. Make an exception for Priest maces, Shikudo sticks, and DW scythes.

The rampage doesn't have to be fair to all.

It will be pretty easy to tell if the winner used arties.
    Lol. Lvl 3 staff against no arties would be like slicing butter. 
  • L3 bastard sword vs no arties, lol.
  • Reyson said:
    L3 bastard sword vs no arties, lol.
    Can probably say the same thing about any level 3 weapon(s) (used for attacks which deal damage) versus an opponent with no artefacts. Though there's nothing preventing a Knight from buying a forged bastard sword, so unfortunately this wouldn't be a required exception (though it seems fair to allow all artefact weapons if you're going to allow some).
  • I guess lvl 3 Shikudo monks and depthswalkers will just have to change class for it!
  • Just fight without weapons. Duh. Tek monks do it.
  • ive delayed the event till i hear back from the garden. But it will happen in some form. I am committed to disallowing or severely limiting arties. 
    Cooper said:
    This is one of the worst forms of special snowflake RP I've ever seen. Thanks for going to another city to do it!
  • Been reading this thread, and figured I'd throw my two cents in here. I obviously don't log in much anymore, but at first I was interested and was thinking about making sure I could show up for the tournament, even though I don't likely stand much of a chance at winning. Now, I can't speak for others, but as a serpent combatant, I am not interested in fighting without my artie dirk. I specifically avoided speccing into dexterity because I already had a thoths at the time of the change, and there was no reason for me to need to do so. Without my dirk, its significantly more difficult to get anywhere vs an opponent who is curing adequately.

You could argue that I'm a worse combatant because I never learned to fight without the dirk, and that would be fair. You could argue that its entirely possible to fight without an artie dirk, and that might be fair, albeit slightly less fair than the previous statement. Truthfully, I might be able to come up with a few good strategies even with my obnoxiously slow dstab speed if I cared enough to do so and tried hard enough. But, I honestly just don't really care enough to put that much effort into learning how to fight in a method that I'll probably never need to use again, especially when I know its annoying to do.

Not having specific arties drastically changes how people play certain classes (serpent, priest being the obvious examples) and I doubt I'm the only one who doesn't want to bother trying to relearn their class purely for a tournament. You can obviously do as you will since it is your event, but I think you'll see less turnout than you might otherwise get if you ban arties that fall into this category. Imo, its a bit unreasonable.

• Antidas said:

Truthfully, I might be able to come up with a few good strategies even with my obnoxiously slow dstab speed if I cared enough to do so and tried hard enough. But, I honestly just don't really care enough to put that much effort into learning how to fight in a method that I'll probably never need to use again, especially when I know its annoying to do.

I mean theres always my next event XD
    Cooper said:
    This is one of the worst forms of special snowflake RP I've ever seen. Thanks for going to another city to do it!
  • Antidas said:
    Been reading this thread, and figured I'd throw my two cents in here. I obviously don't log in much anymore, but at first I was interested and was thinking about making sure I could show up for the tournament, even though I don't likely stand much of a chance at winning. Now, I can't speak for others, but as a serpent combatant, I am not interested in fighting without my artie dirk. I specifically avoided speccing into dexterity because I already had a thoths at the time of the change, and there was no reason for me to need to do so. Without my dirk, its significantly more difficult to get anywhere vs an opponent who is curing adequately.

You could argue that I'm a worse combatant because I never learned to fight without the dirk, and that would be fair. You could argue that its entirely possible to fight without an artie dirk, and that might be fair, albeit slightly less fair than the previous statement. Truthfully, I might be able to come up with a few good strategies even with my obnoxiously slow dstab speed if I cared enough to do so and tried hard enough. But, I honestly just don't really care enough to put that much effort into learning how to fight in a method that I'll probably never need to use again, especially when I know its annoying to do.

Not having specific arties drastically changes how people play certain classes (serpent, priest being the obvious examples) and I doubt I'm the only one who doesn't want to bother trying to relearn their class purely for a tournament. You can obviously do as you will since it is your event, but I think you'll see less turnout than you might otherwise get if you ban arties that fall into this category. Imo, its a bit unreasonable.

in all seriousness part of why I want a no artied event is to see how classes stack up against each other without there intervention. People often say that you can be competitive without artifacts but yet theres a lot of blow back against the idea of the event itself. One of those common themes is this class without artifacts is sub par. incomplete or useless. Now I dont know if that true or not. I doubt any one person does. I would argue that if serpent has to be built in a way that uses artifacts to be competitive then thats not a fault of the event or the artifact's thats the fault of the administration in failing to balance the class around each other with and without the artifacts. By extension its a failure of the playerbase to submit classleads that make up for these issues. Now obviously Its a tricky and hard to pin down balance and there is a lot to think about. But that in itself dosent justify a class being left behind. If affliction speed is at a substantial difference to other classes without the artifact dirk but very competitive with the dirk then the obvious solution would be shave off some of the dirks speed buffs and buff the default serpent affliction rate to be more in line with other classes. 

Now to be very clear in this. My objective is not to be reasonable. Its not to attract every combatant in the game to my event. My objective is to gather data on every class that competes that is not tainted by artifacts as much as possible. My secondary objective is to give back to a community that I love an my favorite game. To show my appreciation to the community that helped me out when I was struggling to do combat after my injuries.  All I am doing is dangling a carrot in front of the community. There are no doubt many who look at 1000 credits and go pssh I own every artifact. But there are many who will want the prize. An there are many who feel that this is a fair trade off for what is essentially  a reward on par with official events. 

I for one am getting a little annoyed at the implication that because people might have to change things around in there system or come up with new strategies to make up for there arties being lost that turnout might be low. Or the level of combatant will be subpar. Holy shit people. As my drill SGT once told me in 2013. GET THE FUCK OVER YOURSELF PRIVATE! In closing if you feel the effort required is not worth your time then by all means spectate. Ignore the event. Do as you wish. But some of you are touted to be the very best combatants in the game. That shouldnt change just because your toys get taken away. If it truly does then you need to msg makarios and start submitting classleads around that idea. Cause this wont be the last time I do something like this nor will I only ever do no arti events. Thank you for reading my rant. An i hope that you will compete and have a good time.  
    Cooper said:
  • Disregarding all the arguing over viability... Personally I think it'd be better to divide the 1000cr, depending on how much people show up. Because of just how many factors there are in Achaea combat. There's a reason stuff like the Staff tournament has prizes for more than just 1st place.

1st: 500cr
    2nd: 250cr
    3rd: 150 cr
    4th/5th: 50cr

My 0.02c, at the end of the day they're your credits. Might even encourage more people to try.

• Greetings Sapience 

After some thought and advice from those wiser than myself here is the new reformated event. 

Bracket style double elimantation Tournemnet.

combatants will be randomly assigned partners for a duel to the death at north of new thera. 

Combatants will have an entry fee of 15000 gold to enter the bracket. 

When you beat your oppoenent you get there entry fee! Huzzah!

Upon losing you will go to the losers bracket for a fee 5000 gold. Same scenario as above. winning awards the losers bracket fee. 

winner of the tourny will recieve 1000 credits and all the gold from there previous matches. 

The rules are as follows. 

no web tattos allowed. 

No artifacts of any kind accepted. barring artifact tattoos. there is no reasonable way to dis allow them. 

All class specific weapons and armour will be provided to you. You will remove all your items from a fancy sword to lonely socks. These will be placed in a container once again provided to you. This container will remain on your person until after your bout. A monk will then scan you to assure compliance and you will be given a grace period to prepare yourself to use your new weapons. after which upon agreement both combatants will fight to the death. No starburts will be allowed. True death only. You must EMBRACE DEATH. Failure to comply will see you disqualified from losers bracket. 

During your bout you may travel anywhere on the highway to delos and newthera. inside delos and new thera. Do no leave the highway or enter a city. 

Some concern about classes that cant reasonably disgard there artefact weapons due to the nature of how these weapons are summoned. If your class can "borrow" a weapon just fine then once again this weapon will be provided to you. If for whatever reason you can not disallow your own artifact weapon then you will not be allowed into the event. Dont worry another no holds barred event will follow shortly. 

Happening at the same time will be the 100 credit bracket. same rules apply with a few notable exceptions. 

the fee will be 5000 gold to enter the bracket. 2500 gold for the losers bracket should you lose your bout. 

Thats basicly it. You will be allowed to compete in both events if you qualify for both events. IE level 80 or below. 

You must have a house member or city member verify your level is indeed lvl 80 or less. If you can not do so then you will not be allowed into the event. This member should be of suitable reputation and status. I will be the one soley to accept this verfication based on who vouches for you. ask me if you have questions. 

To enter the event send a message with class, level to myself (Driden) 

along with your entry fee in a letter stating the exact same details and or your sponsor if applicable. 

A new message will be required even if you already sent one previously from the last Public notice. NO EXCEPTIONS!

The final most important part of the event. Upon completion of your bout you will be required to submit a history of the fight from memory directly after to myself for data and review. Failute to comply for any reason will see you disqualified from the event. win or lose. 

those caught cheating will be barred from all future events. Till the end of time. 

I may not be the only referee to over see bouts. If that happens the refferee appointed to your bout will notify you as well as myself. 

Thank you all for your intrests The tournment will begin very soon. Bracket will be released here on the public news for all to follow. I hope you all participate and good luck to the combatants. 

here is the rough draft for the reformatted event. Please share your opinions and feedback. 
    Cooper said:
  • Pyori said:
    Disregarding all the arguing over viability... Personally I think it'd be better to divide the 1000cr, depending on how much people show up. Because of just how many factors there are in Achaea combat. There's a reason stuff like the Staff tournament has prizes for more than just 1st place.

My 0.02c, at the end of the day they're your credits. Might even encourage more people to try.

thats a good idea and one i have considered. let me know what you think about the new format and how you would split the credit prize up. 
    Cooper said:
  • Driden said:
    Pyori said:
    Disregarding all the arguing over viability... Personally I think it'd be better to divide the 1000cr, depending on how much people show up. Because of just how many factors there are in Achaea combat. There's a reason stuff like the Staff tournament has prizes for more than just 1st place.

thats a good idea and one i have considered. let me know what you think about the new format and how you would split the credit prize up. 
    I wouldn't change the splitting from what I mentioned in the above, personally. But like I said it's still up to you.

make sure to get that post proofread :P

• Im down for this. Should be interesting
  • When is It?
  • edited April 2018
    Driden said:
    You must have a house member or city member verify your level is indeed lvl 80 or less. If you can not do so then you will not be allowed into the event. This member should be of suitable reputation and status. I will be the one soley to accept this verfication based on who vouches for you. ask me if you have questions.
    Just having someone at level 80 (or 81; I don't remember how staredown works at the same level) use STAREDOWN can check whether or not someone qualifies. That will reduce the barrier to entry and allow rogues to participate.
  • You can also use RANKINGS XP if you're at least level 80 to verify too, since that shows level name for those your level or lower.
  • You’re limiting people to a single class for the tournament? Most people have more than one.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Sorry for delayed response here, I've been ill the last few days so running catch up.

There's no way for us to hard bar artefacts for an arena mode at this time. We can bar artefact powers pretty easily, but there are a lot of high impact artefacts not under that system (all weapons, for instance).

Cool event though, definitely wish you the best of luck!
  • Atalkez said:
    You’re limiting people to a single class for the tournament? Most people have more than one.
    i wanna see what people think they can win with. 
    Cooper said:
  • Princeton said:
    When is It?
    very soon. about to get my editor to make the post in game.
    Cooper said:
  • Antonius said:
    You can also use RANKINGS XP if you're at least level 80 to verify too, since that shows level name for those your level or lower.
    Sena said:
    Driden said:
    Just having someone at level 80 (or 81; I don't remember how staredown works at the same level) use STAREDOWN can check whether or not someone qualifies. That will reduce the barrier to entry and allow rogues to participate.
    thanks i will change that rule.
    Cooper said:
  • Driden said:
    You can just hit up http://api.achaea.com/characters/lowercase_charactername.json to check their level.

Example: http://api.achaea.com/characters/nazihk.json
  • Not to sound contrary, as it's his funds and all, but doesn't this seem to be a bit over-the-top? I mean, all the rules and hoop-jumping alone make me not want to participate. :/
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• Ismay said:
    Not to sound contrary, as it's his funds and all, but doesn't this seem to be a bit over-the-top? I mean, all the rules and hoop-jumping alone make me not want to participate. :/
    sorry to hear you feel that way. 
    Cooper said: