Speak up even if your voice shakes

A couple of months ago a young Australian girl nicknamed Dolly took her own life because she had been bullied. Today is Australia's National Day of Action against Bullying and Violence. I have been bullied since I can remember, throughout school, at work and even in relationships. I have even experienced it in Achaea. I know others have too, and have seen forum posts from people about their experiences which really concern me. Achaea is a role playing game, yes, but there is no need to take that further into personal attacks or belittling of your fellow players.

The link below is to a short segment from one of our current affairs shows in Australia, The Project, which features celebrities and sports stars well know to young Australian people (and some internationally). They use Dolly's words to speak against bullying, and I think it's really powerful. If I'd seen something like this when I was younger I think it would have helped me be strong against bullies, because once you become a target of bullies it becomes hard to get out of that pattern. I hope some of you take the time to watch the clip.

https://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/the-project/top-stories-march-2018/speak-even-if-your-voice-shakes

Comments

• I experienced some bullying while in high school, though nothing near as bad as others I have known.

I'm now a parent and my daughter is approaching 4 years old. Parenthood is hard but on the whole I think I muddle my way through it pretty well.

I'm terrified that when she goes to school she will be bullied, and that I will never know, or be unable to help.
  • Caled said:
    I experienced some bullying while in high school, though nothing near as bad as others I have known.

I'm now a parent and my daughter is approaching 4 years old. Parenthood is hard but on the whole I think I muddle my way through it pretty well.

I'm terrified that when she goes to school she will be bullied, and that I will never know, or be unable to help.
    Tell your children about your own experiences, and what you did or wish you did, teach them the difference between healthy, respectful interactions and those which belittle, demean, hurt or disrespect others. And most of all, make sure they know they can talk to you about anything and feel safe doing so. I had to navigate this with my kids and their relationship with and perspective of their father, who was a bully. For the most part they have a strong sense of justice and fairness and they are growing into strong, respectful adults. Seems to have succeeded despite my worries :)