Raiding Mechanics

Comments

• edited February 2018
    Atalkez said:
    Kiet said:
    You had farrah + you, karren, mezghar, braver, several other heavy hitters vs a team that was 1-2 smaller than yours. I purposefully stayed out of it, as did Aegoth and a few others! The raiders had like Iaki/Crixos , true, but also several novices and midbies. You can't claim that's 'heavily' skewed lol.

This is not true. Karren logged in after you had already been in for 10+ minutes, Braver was never around that I saw. The group that gathered to defend was Farrah and I, Xandir and a bunch of little ones. It was heavily skewed in Mhaldor favor, which is fine.

Rage killing the Descent is laughable though.
    Oh yeah, was Baenor not Braver, but he's pretty artied too iirc. Karren was definitely there pretty early on, though, and so was Mezghar and Nazihk. If they were just afk and didn't respond at all, fair enough, but we can only go off your QW. The group purposefully counted people out to make it fairish, though @Dragonknight snuck in like a pleb. You can hardly tell me a guy that logs in like once a year is any more threatening than Aralaya, though.

We had a bunch of little ones, too, though, it's still not 'heavily skewed.'
  • Karren wasn't there until we were already in the descent and sitting there.
    Mezghar and Nazihk weren't a part of the defence afaik.

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • This was my enemy list from QW as I was putting the party together. Most of those have defended against us. As you notice there's no Merio nor Zary. They were accidents who were grouped with your defenders. I try my best to keep things fair. I had half a group of newbie combatants with me, plus Chiam, Crixos, Saeva, and Iakimen who were my seasoned veterans. Kiet and Aegoth were not there. 

Alasiel
    Aralaya
    Atalkez
    Baenor
    Elipise
    Farrah
    Garis
    Issam
    Itkovian
    Karren
    Laodoke
    Mezghar
    Nazihk
    Talamond
    Valonstrus
    Xandir
  • We had 10 people total and Mhaldor had 10 people total. Four of ours were 30% of my might or less and less than 20 years old, though. I was constantly fullsensing and assessing this to see whether we could conceivably rush, so these numbers are exact.

I'm not sure where Braver's name came from as he was never there. Karren did login mid-raid, but logged right back out. He couldn't stay. Nazihk was afk on a ship. Some of those names you have were probably people who left before you came there. Fullsense (after some time to group up and return to city, ofc) is the best indicator of who is actually there to defend.

These were the teams, with their levels and % of my own might (I was curious, so I actually looked them up):

Atalkez - 90% (dragon)
    me - 100% (dragon)
    Mezghar - 80% (level 92)
    Baenor - 110% (level 91)
    Aralaya - 80% (level 87)
    Xandir - 75% (level 83)
    Valonstrus - 15% (level 80)
    Merio - 15% (level 79)
    Alasiel - 25% (level 75)
    Laodoke - 30% (level 71)

v

Syndra - 110% (dragon)
    Crixos - 100% (dragon)
    Saeva - 75% (dragon)
    Chiam - 50% (dragon)
    Iakimen - 110% (dragon)
    Dragonknight - 105%  (level 98)
    Ismay - 95% (level 92)
    Khadafi - 45% (level 79)
    Thalyssra - 45% (level 79)
    Naelrhi - 55% (level 79)

Our team was a lot more low-might-heavy and also a lot less dragon-heavy. I wouldn't really call these 'fair.'

• edited February 2018
    It's not really our fault or something we could've predicted that Issam, Itkovian, Karren (who apparently 'got there later' but I saw near the start so idk), Nazihk, Garis  and Talamond chose not to or couldn't defend, though.

When you have to ignore half your QW and start pulling out % numbers to show the teams are uneven it's not 'heavily skewed' imo. If those people all didn't want to or couldn't defend, sure, the teams are uneven. Certainly not maliciously or in any predictable way, though.

Considering we willingly sat people out and DK literally said 'I can leave if needed' (but was told not to because we assumed everyone was defending), it'd have been pretty simple to send an OOC message (to syndra or, eg, iakimen who's always happy to raid disadvantaged) you were missing all those people or something, too! The narrative that we're just bringing in massive numbers to purposefully stomp doesn't really hold up to reality
  • Kiet said:
    It's not really our fault or something we could've predicted that Issam, Itkovian, Karren (who apparently 'got there later' but I saw near the start so idk), Garis  and Talamond chose not to or couldn't defend, though.

When you have to ignore half your QW and start pulling out % numbers to show the teams are uneven it's not 'heavily skewed' imo. If those people all didn't want to or couldn't defend, sure, the teams are uneven. Certainly not maliciously or in any predictable way, though.
    I mean if we want to avoid this in future we can put some nice big pop ups:

{City} is raiding you, will you fight? Y/N
    Choose fighters

After you confirm, you can not add fighters and they can not take part, are you sure?

{City} is raiding with: A B C D E F G H
    You are defending with: I J K L M N O P Q

Accept to begin the engagement!

Otherwise, people are going to assume on engagement #1 and redistribute and fix afterwards. Go in with too few and the element of surprise is gone, go in with too many and you don't get anything fun, just a roflstomp. It's something that actively takes a shot first to be able to show the target. 

The other option is to just take 100% of who you can and damn the other side, but that isn't healthy for the game at all.
  • edited February 2018

Do people not actually use fullsense, presences, pre-eminence...? I mean, once the defense group is gathered, it's pretty easy to see who our group is. You can't tell me Mhaldor didn't know who was standing in the Descent when they decided to come gank us there. I'm sure they used location abilities and saw. I'm not faulting anyone for coming into the city. I'm just saying they didn't leave, and chose to gank people who decided against defending instead of leaving.

It's all fine though. I don't why we hijacked this thread now. I just want to rant about the sanction change, not specific raids. I got distracted by people bickering about this, and my only point was that it wasn't even, not that anything terrible happened.

Mhaldor has been huge lately a lot of the time, and is dealing with some of what Targossas dealt with not long ago where we always limited fights and people yelled at us for being unfair anyway.

• I think from comments I consistently see on Ashtan that many people vastly overrate how good (and to a degree artefacted) the city is at fighting because good leadership can cover a great many sins (and also because Ashtan has a historical reputation as a powerhouse). By and large our 'A-Team' as it were is very rarely all on at the same time. For most of these raids (that I've been a part of) there have been around 2-5 people I'd consider part of that group. As far as the uneven raids, I don't really give a shit tbh. It's not that fun, but I get plenty of entertainment killing/helping kill people for it later, and it's all a cyclical thing anyways.

Dunn tells you, "I hate you."
    (Party): You say, "Bad plan coming right up."
  • I usually try to honours someone before we hit if I'm unfamiliar with their name, but sometimes when all of the enemies' names (same color) are in the same room you'd just yolo and attack coz they're gonna die anyway. to be fair though the newbies did get beckoned in so I agree it was our fault.

ps: Valonstrus did start a behead on Crixos so it was probably ok to kill him
  • edited February 2018
    Chiam said:
    I usually try to honours someone before we hit if I'm unfamiliar with their name, but sometimes when all of the enemies' names (same color) are in the same room you'd just yolo and attack coz they're gonna die anyway. to be fair though the newbies did get beckoned in so I agree it was our fault.

ps: Valonstrus did start a behead on Crixos so it was probably ok to kill him
    Nothing wrong with beheading Crixos, play on. 
  • I'm sorry :'(

• Dragonknight, how are you not yet a dragon. C'mon man :(
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

• It's a long story, filled with tears and unknightly things. Oh by the way, have you noticed I'm not a knight either?
  • This is just gonna encourage a two man entry with a ten man earring follow up on engagement.

Until people very quickly cotton onto to it and just say fuck it and not bother defending at all.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Mathilda said:
    Sure on all citizen deaths contributing to the tank charge, but there has to be stricter rules (and punishments) to not involve citizens unless they have explicitly involved themselves in the raid.
    Cooper said:
    That rule is already in place.
    Say again...?
     <3 
  • See. The strategy to get a sanction with the new system is easy. You place a small group we will call "bait" in the enemy city. They spool up their defensive stuff and wait for enemy rush. Have a waterlord or depthswalker ready to Beckon/tsunami. Then when enemy is in room, you earring in with the real raid group with massively superior numbers. Get 5 kills and then you can choose to stay and bash guards that will be used, or split up the group and pray that no constables arrive.
  • Xaden said:
    This is just gonna encourage a two man entry with a ten man earring follow up on engagement.

Until people very quickly cotton onto to it and just say fuck it and not bother defending at all.
    @Rangor
  • Reyson said:
    Xaden said:
    This is just gonna encourage a two man entry with a ten man earring follow up on engagement.

@Rangor
    Was too many posts. Couldn't read them all. Brain said no.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    edited February 2018
    This just in, photographic evidence of Mhaldor raid practices...

:D

(this is the earring group)

Not the use of "big guns" :trollface:

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • edited February 2018
    Image result for toucannon

Image result for toucannon

me waiting to earring in.
  • Syndra said:
    This was my enemy list from QW as I was putting the party together. Most of those have defended against us. As you notice there's no Merio nor Zary. They were accidents who were grouped with your defenders. I try my best to keep things fair. I had half a group of newbie combatants with me, plus Chiam, Crixos, Saeva, and Iakimen who were my seasoned veterans. Kiet and Aegoth were not there. 

Alasiel
    Aralaya
    Atalkez
    Baenor
    Elipise
    Farrah
    Garis
    Issam
    Itkovian
    Karren
    Laodoke
    Mezghar
    Nazihk
    Talamond
    Valonstrus
    Xandir
    You have to do your recon better because I didn't even log on yesterday. Also grouping me (and probably other people judging from this list) into 'can't or won't fight' is weird when, as mentioned, not even online.

• edited February 2018
    Ah raids!! 

"Let's go show them how big our dicks are"..  
    ---- "OMG IT IS TOO BIG"
    "Seriously, it wasn't *that* big, I don't understand the complaints"

-- or --
    "LEt's go raid <city>"
    'Nah, I don't have time to defend and lawyer up the raid after the fact on forums.'

• RAIDWHO

RAID DECLARE city

City does not appear to have enough armies at this time to defend the size of your forces. Please try again later.

COOLDOWNS
    Raid: 14 minutes and 48 seconds

Wtf. 
  • @issam Then someone used a chameleon tattoo of you, which I have no way of knowing if it's you or not when I put the list together until I'm inside.
  • farsee Issam
    You detect nothing here by that name.

Oh, shit... 

• Xaden said:
    farsee Issam
    You detect nothing here by that name.

Oh, shit... 
    If they are on ship/meropis et al, or should we all spend 2500cr to farsee an entire QWC list before each raid?
  • If they're on a ship / meropis et al, then you assume they're out. 

I farsee everyone on the who list to get an idea of likely responders before going in anywhere. Did it before I I had a veil and before the gem changes too. 

It's 15 seconds for a QW of 15. It's not an onerous task.

• If you are online I'm going to assume you can defend.