Sea Mapping Re-Release

Note: this is a re-release of Tirac's original script since the original download link is dead. I don't provide support for this script, but if you make changes, please submit them back to the script using a pull request!

"This is amazing. How sailing should be." - @Vadimuses

"Awesome. It's a really cool script, definitely something that will make sailing a lot less tedious." - @Xer

"Oh my friggin' god ... this takes the headache out of sailing." - @Nizaris

---------------------------------------

MAP-BUILDING

This script will build and append the sea map to an interactive Mudlet mapper window on-the-fly. All you need to do is sail. The map looks like this when you start (the red regions are water, where your ship can go):

As you sail to new places, your map will grow:

As was mentioned in this thread: forums.achaea.com/discussion/884/meropis-sea-map-via-mudlet-mapper, there are some challenges related to accurately tracking the movement of a ship. The map builder will try to match the new sea map to your existing mudlet map on each movement to account for silent drifting and to detect where you moved on a non-cardinal non-ordinal direction (NNE, for example).

For the utilitarians among us, there is an option to remove the printing of chops and land such that only the red (water) rooms appear. This speeds up processing.

PATH-FINDING
The map that is built is fully interactive. You can double-click on any connected water room and your ship will sail there.

The path profile is calculated using the A* pathfinding algorithm and tries to avoid turning and going too close to chops. Advanced users who want to change the shape of their path can read below for details on how to customize pathfinding and ship turning.

WHAT YOU NEED
  • Mudlet 2.1
  • GMCP turned on
  • Download the script (see below)

BASIC USER INSTRUCTIONS

• Download the script.
  • Click on Package Manager, then click on Install. Select the entire .zip file you downloaded.
  • Get on a ship.
  • Type "ymap on".
  • Start sailing. You can start auto-sailing when the map appears.

BASIC USER ALIASES

ymap <on|off>: this either turns on the sea mapper or returns Mudlet mapper control back to your regular maps. The normal Mudlet mapper will be inaccessible while the sea mapper is on.
ystop: this stops auto-sailing (you'll still need to "all stop").
clearmap: this deletes your current sea map and allows you to start over.
yconfig shiptype <cutter|strider>: this gives the system an estimate of what your ship turning speed is.
yconfig print <on|off>: this allows you to choose whether or not to print the non-water rooms.

DOWNLOAD: https://github.com/vadi2/achaea_sea_mapping/releases

Shout out to @Vadimuses for a great deal of idea-bouncing and Mudlet help.

Happy sailing!

Comments

• The original images are dead - if anyone could get on this script and make new screenshots for the thread, that'd be cool.
  • I thought this never worked?

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • I don't think I've ever downloaded something so fast. Will have to check it out later

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • I've sailed with it during testing ages ago
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    This was a great concept, but it almost always resulted in crashing the game. Could never get it to work properly and there was no additional support offered.

Aside from the crashing, would have mapping overlay issues where, say you were currently moving and mapping through an area and your ship got moved by a wake, it wouldn't register it and so you'd start getting a skewed version of the map trying to overwrite itself.

• I'll have a look after my exams, see if we can get it to work better.

There should be workarounds for the problems you mentioned; ie. batching and maybe range limiting the map displays, etc.

The difficult thing will be determining an unanchored room move following a partial/semi-completed SSE/ESE type move. Those seem to be less predictable if you interrupted the moves halfway and did something else or got moved by a wake.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."