Gem of cloaking status

edited January 2018 in North of Thera
I know we have a thread on the gem/veil, but it was mostly about the veil.

The gem currently is an awful purchase. Veil got a huge buff and got full tradein option, and gem didn't even get that.

Having 10 minutes of hiding is one of the most useless features of all the artefacts, in the sense that if someone actually cares if you're online, they'll notice you disappearing for 10 minutes. Hiding from thirdeye is moderately useful, but not exactly worth 400 credits and only even approaches 'kind of good' as a few classes.

Is there something coming for the gem in the future? The permanent (or some kind of variation of) chameleon idea was a good one, I thought. Something like unlimited tulahuar  while phased would be nice, too. Barring that, though, getting full tradein if traded for other artefacts like the veil did would be pretty nice!

I mostly want to know for sure if this is being looked at at all or if we should generally just see it as 264 bound credits sitting in our inventory.

Comments

• IDEA: Tulahuar no longer removes you from WHO.

Tulahuar remembers your location when you activate it and for ten minutes, all attempts to scry/farsee/locate return the activated location instead of where you are.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    I got a perma chameleon... But now I realise I still get tells anyway cause I show up on crafterwho >>

• Elisella said:
    IDEA: Tulahuar no longer removes you from WHO.

Tulahuar remembers your location when you activate it and for ten minutes, all attempts to scry/farsee/locate return the activated location instead of where you are.
    That'd be really OP. Would have to be on a much longer cooldown, since it'd essentially be veil-lite.

• Skye said:
    I got a perma chameleon... But now I realise I still get tells anyway cause I show up on crafterwho >>
    Yeah, it was nice not showing up on those bloody lists with the gem. But maybe showing up in crafterwho/tradewho/clan who lists should be a config option

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    On Crafterwho and Tradewho, maybe. I think clans are fine the way they are now.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Maybe but clans more or less bypass the chameleon tattoo and with OOC clans like mudlet that has a huge amount of people. I don't really care for people outside my org knowing I'm around which is why I got the gem in the first place and are now relying on chameleon tattoos to hide on QW.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Dunno what the answer is but I rather like that clwho is no longer a ghost town and you don't feel like you are talking into empty air sometimes.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    edited January 2018
    I think it would be fair to opt in or out as to whether or not those are services you want to provide to the public at large, especially since a lot of it is otherwise available via shops or the market channel. I am not even sure it should be a gem effect at this point. It should be something like the rpwho flag and the one for dueling if they still have that one.

Edit: Should still be visible to citymates as it was, though.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Buff to 20 mins
  • my gem of cloaking magically turned into some artefact armour, though if I had the choice runic gauntlets pls.
  • the gem as it stands is not useful for shop keepers. Being visible on who means that people are just gonna farsee me. QW is more likely where thieves and whatnot are looking for names for targets anyway, and they they just farsee me and there I am, in a stock room, because I can't do my bunch of shops in 10 minutes.. with tuns, I can't even do one pissing shop in 10 minutes. It is totally not worth the 400 sodding credits

• WHO/third eye immunity is worth the price of the gem imo. It is SO easy to parse the wholist and ascertain group sizes and distributions based on third eye info. That’s why I’m keeping mine. 

• I used to pay the same price just for thirdeye immunity in the other muds. Getting removed from the WHO list was more of a bonus and retaining the feature in a limited fashion for 10 minutes is still not too bad of a deal either.

I'd argue for a 30 minute cooldown for using Tulahuar rather than giving it new features that turns it into a lite version of Veil. Game has been way better off with the gem of cloaking nerf and I'm not a fan of the idea of any of its original feature returning in some spammable fashion.
    That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • Wait wait wait. @Khaibit your gem hides you from who in the sense that your location isn’t shown. The veil nerf is the only thing that affected shop stocking. Anyone with a veil could have farseen you in a stockroom before, though. I still can’t parse wholist and see you in a stockroom with the changes. I can still just spam farsee you to catch you in a shop. 

• Taken from Sobriquet in the other thread and reiterating it here because I felt it was a legitimate concession, but gem automatically concealing from who lists while in a stockroom, similar to treacherous planes would be beneficial to shop keepers who want it for this purpose.

I'm still also miffed that there's no way to fit chameleon in with the gem change, I've already got a full roster of artie tattoos, as do others, and there's no where to suddenly decide I want to put in a chameleon tattoo as well, and given it acted as a replacement for chameleon the gem is ripe to provide us similar functionality.
  • edited January 2018
    Fine. put your pitchforks down
  • God no. They have that in Imperian and Lusternia and it’s the worst thing 

• Aegoth said:
    How about make it so that the gem alerts you to scrying attempts?
    That's already been sold as an auction item in Achaea, so unlikely to happen anyway.
  • edited January 2018
    There's people in Achaea with that already.

ETA: Sniped by Anto :(
  • Aegoth said:
    No, no, no, fuck that, no.

Imperian had something like that and it's quite possibly the worst decision they ever made. And that is saying something.

Here's the effect that kind of thing has: You're hunting, I dunno... Mezghar. You're hunting Mezghar because he puts ranch on everything and is therefore deserving of death. Ranch is disgusting. You decide to see where he is, so you farsee him. He's bashing in Azdun.

Or rather, he was bashing in Azdun, because as soon as he saw the farsight attempt against him he popped his fulcrum and ran back to Targossas. 

Repeat every time you want to kill anybody ever.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    I agree with Kiet that the gem isn't worth 400cr (I haven't bothered using it since the change in fact).  I would trade it in and let people see my whereabouts when they wanted (you'll be awfully bored spying on me at Rally Point)

I think it should work more like the deception brew (random chameleon like effect) when activated, perhaps randomly chameleoning someone in your city (Ashtan, Cyrene, Eleusis, Hashan, Mhaldor, Rogues and Targossas) so at least qw outputs an accurate list of each factions populations online.  One of the business reasons for making the gem/plane change was to make the game seem more populated, this still keeps that mission alive.  It doesn't matter if a prominent player like Aegoth is pretending to be random Mhaldorian #5 since a real novice wouldn't know who was prominent anyways.

• Nazihk said:
    Aegoth said:
    No, no, no, fuck that, no.

Imperian had something like that and it's quite possibly the worst decision they ever made. And that is saying something.

Here's the effect that kind of thing has: You're hunting, I dunno... Mezghar. You're hunting Mezghar because he puts ranch on everything and is therefore deserving of death. Ranch is disgusting. You decide to see where he is, so you farsee him. He's bashing in Azdun.

Or rather, he was bashing in Azdun, because as soon as he saw the farsight attempt against him he popped his fulcrum and ran back to Targossas. 

Repeat every time you want to kill anybody ever.
    Twist raksha

• Raksha was at least a bullshit auction item. Warning was something that everybody had, which makes it worse imo. 

Though it was pretty fun to prep runes/stonewall on the road to somebody's city, then farsee them and stand totem.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    edited January 2018
    Antonius said:
    Aegoth said:
    That's already been sold as an auction item in Achaea, so unlikely to happen anyway.
    Iridescent bell pendant. @Veldrin has the only one I think.

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • Halos said:
    Antonius said:
    Aegoth said:
    Iridescent bell pendant. @Veldrin has the only one I think.
    So OP.
  • VeldrinVeldrin Denmark
    edited January 2018
    wtb old gem of cloaking plx

https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/Bh00SU-o

and just so I don't get anymore questions about the other part
    *****************************[ Current Auctions ]******************************
    Id  Status Max/Min      Title                          Winner     Days Left 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1   OPEN   ---/1105     A wooden rudis of conquest     ---                1
    2   WON    5755/5755    A phylactery of sixth sense    Tanris             0
    3   WON    3505/3505    A ship in a bottle             Trey               0
    4   WON    505/505      Language learning token        Tahquil            0
    5   WON    5005/5005    A spider silk amulet           Yen                0
    6   WON    945/945      Custom statue/bust/portrait    Tiamat             0
    7   WON    6305/6305    Chenubian wings                Micaelis           0
    8   WON    3520/3520    An iridescent bell pendant     Veldrin            0
    9   WON    2000500/2000 Gold: Permanent Tattoo         Nona               0
    10  OPEN   ---/3600000  Gold: Grimoire of Adaptation   ---                1
    11  OPEN   ---/2900000  Gold: Buckawn's Amulet         ---                1
    12  WON    2010500/2010 Gold: Ranger's Bow w/ Shooting Isis               0
    13  WON    1900500/1900 Gold: Staff of illusion.       Veldrin            0
    *******************************************************************************

• I wonder how much that would go for today. 10k? 20k? You got a steal on that for 3.5k!
  • 6k chenubs...
  • Puxi said:
    I wonder how much that would go for today. 10k? 20k? You got a steal on that for 3.5k!
    Well just look at the mindnet artie then vs now :P

• Buckawn's for 290cr (in today's market).