Says in emotes? Says in emotes!

eta: If you wanna change the colour of the highlighting, just change the colour in the trigger.

One complaint I've found a lot of in Achaea, is that we don't have says colouring for emotes, or emotes appearing in gmcp.Comm module like other games do (not yet, at least! *hint hint*)

Well, now you can have it! At least client-side, anyway. Unfortunately it highlights stuff in more places than just emotes (namely help files with quotes in them, I should have eliminated them from other sources though, like CT etc)

One pre-requisite is that you're using something (whether it be some form of tabbed chat or whatever) which enables the gmcp.Comm module, otherwise it'll highlight stuff in ct etc as well. If you don't have either of those, simply add this to your login trigger:
sendGMCP('Core.Supports.Add ["Comm.Channel 1"]')

Preview:

Comments

• 15 years ago getting a basic curing package used to cost you 100 bucks in USD for a "Decent" one. 

Now people are coding fun gadgets, widgets and other things to help the majority of the code-noob player base to give them wonderful items to play with and make great use of. You have my thanks for distributing a lot of good stuff, and to the coders who constantly do so as well, thank you. 
  • Minifie said:
    15 years ago getting a basic curing package used to cost you 100 bucks in USD for a "Decent" one. 

Now people are coding fun gadgets, widgets and other things to help the majority of the code-noob player base to give them wonderful items to play with and make great use of. You have my thanks for distributing a lot of good stuff, and to the coders who constantly do so as well, thank you. 
    In my experience, you could almost always get help with cool little widgets and other sort of functional things.

It wasn't the coding you were paying for with systems, really. You were paying to get the system creator's advantage over other people. Back in the old opening-era days of Imperian, I wasn't a top tier fighter because of my non-existent artifacts or my 1.5 trans skills, I was a top tier fighter because I had a working healing system and that automatically put me into the top 5% of the game because I could avoid common newbkillers like aeon, aconite/curare, plague/stridulation, etc. That's what you were paying for when you bought a system.
  • From experience, I can also say that publishing greater systems to the large is also a very different time commitment than those little things, which need almost no maintenance. Healing/combat systems have to adapt to ever-changing strategies and abilities.
  • Says colouring separately in emotes in Achaea currently is not feasible. We've looked into this a number of times and while not a difficult addition it becomes a massive strain on the game when we routinely have 150+ players logged in, so it's simply not doable for us at this point in time.
  • edited January 2018
    Nicola said:
    Says colouring separately in emotes in Achaea currently is not feasible. We've looked into this a number of times and while not a difficult addition it becomes a massive strain on the game when we routinely have 150+ players logged in, so it's simply not doable for us at this point in time.
    Oh, I know. I wasn't intending to come across as rude! Lusternia was apparently the same way, with even less people than that logged in; I'm not gonna pretend to know how much of a strain it would be. They seemed to find a way to make it work, so it was more of a hope that Achaea would too eventually!

Much like curing in the past, I don't mind using scripts to manage it until it becomes feasible :)

eta: How about adding emotes to gmcp.Comm? Would that be doable, by chance? It would fix a lot of problems with these highlighting!

• This is really cool! Would making the quotation marks (") cyan too be a difficult tweak regex-wise? Regex is hard for me. It might as well be ... another language.

i'm a rebel

• Tesha said:
    This is really cool! Would making the quotation marks (") cyan too be a difficult tweak regex-wise? Regex is hard for me. It might as well be ... another language.
    should be fine if you adjust the regex to be 

(".+?")

• Rhivona said:
    Tesha said:
    This is really cool! Would making the quotation marks (") cyan too be a difficult tweak regex-wise? Regex is hard for me. It might as well be ... another language.
    should be fine if you adjust the regex to be 

(".+?")

Unfortunately it's Tesha. She will find a way to break this.
  • @Nicola
    Out of curiosity, is this a scaling issue, or has the engines of Achaea and the rest of the IREs diverged too much?
  • Minifie said:
    15 years ago getting a basic curing package used to cost you 100 bucks in USD for a "Decent" one. 

15 Years ago you had Penth zapping people for using smilies on Shallam CT, now we have emotes with says in them. 

(NB: Might not have been exactly 15 years ago)
  • edited January 2018
    This code is colouring says in clan/party/order channels too. And tells too
  • edited January 2018
    Aegoth said:
    This code is colouring says in clan/party/order channels too. And tells too
    Try removing the accidental () in the script name of the package.
    (yes, the script name. Not the function)

If it's still doing it, that'd be because you don't have the module enabled for .Comm, since it disables the trigger when that event fires (the event happens when something on a channel is said). I included how to enable that!

• Accipiter said:
    Minifie said:

15 Years ago you had Penth zapping people for using smilies on Shallam CT, now we have emotes with says in them. 

(NB: Might not have been exactly 15 years ago)
    And people used emotes in the city channels too (which penth zapped them for as well!) There was a lot of zapping  :D 
  • Some guy used 'lol' Hashan CT and I just wanted to strangle them. I don't know if it's against the rules anymore or what, but there we go.
  • Yes, I mean it's not strictly, but insanity had a help file for a reason :)
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Nicola said:
    Says colouring separately in emotes in Achaea currently is not feasible. We've looked into this a number of times and while not a difficult addition it becomes a massive strain on the game when we routinely have 150+ players logged in, so it's simply not doable for us at this point in time.
    I'd be happy if you'd just add emotes to gmcp
    That would also help to fool proof this script as it could just check if the line was an emote via gmcp.Comm.Channel

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Lifevision!
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• This was one of the things that blew my mind when I came here, I was like wait...this isnt a thing.  Coming from aetolia there is lots of quality of life stuff, like posing items in custom poses as well as how we use things or put things in other things, I would have figured achaea at least had emote text highlighted.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Emotes are one of the things you can colour config under the CONFIG COLOUR options. I have mine set to some obnoxious colour so they stand out.

We have POSES, and we've also got an elaborate custom emoting system that lets you use items. You can even go so far as doing custom DRAW/SHEATHE emotes that actually draw and sheathe weapons. I use these for personal rituals.

It baffles me when I see people's logs and they just have absolutely everything white, including all their different channels. I colour the crap out of everything on top of having a chat box because I like things to stand out. The options are definitely there already.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I find the uniformity of my color config is a result of just.. complacency and a lack of creativity.

• If you use config colour to make really terrible colour combinations then use colour triggers to recolour them, you can capture loads of stuff easily that otherwise requires really complicated stuff, like emotes, deathsights, channels if you don't want to use gmcp. It is really useful.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    @Pyori
    Any idea what this error is? https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/0_PlM0IN

This is the second time I've had this where every time I get things that go to my chatbox I start getting blank prompts in my main window and this error repeatedly. Restarting seems to fix it temporarily.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Kayeil said:
    @Pyori

This is the second time I've had this where every time I get things that go to my chatbox I start getting blank prompts in my main window and this error repeatedly. Restarting seems to fix it temporarily.
    Remove the () from the script name, and restart. It should just be:

I'm just too lazy to reupload when it only fixes that.

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Pyori said:
    Kayeil said:
    @Pyori

Remove the () from the script name, and restart. It should just be:

I'm just too lazy to reupload when it only fixes that.
    Awesome, thanks so much!
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.