Computer Building

13»

Comments

• Nvidia, all the way

• Aesgar said:
    There are some alright deals on MSI Nvidia graphics cards on Newegg (as good as prices go at the moment at least). How do brands compare up? @Caelan I know you were pro Asus motherboard. Have any graphics card preferences?
    I actually don't.  Though when I've used them I use NVidia.  Mostly because it was cheaper or came with the mobo or something.  Never had a problem with them that I can recall.

• I guess what I was trying to ask (but made it confusing cause I don't really know what I'm asking): 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1282023-REG/evga_08g_p4_5173_kr_geforce_gtx_1070_8gb.html

What's the difference between the different fan designs and is it a big deal? I was thinking of going with the one I linked above for affordability. Unless the other model/designs are worth the $50. 
  • I wouldn't worry too much about the fans on a GPU. They will pretty much always come with enough built into keep it cool enough to function, unless there's something wrong with them. Go with whichever card you want/feel you need, and don't worry about the built in cooling systems. If for some reason the built-in fans don't provide enough cooling power you can always add more to your case, assuming you have room.

That being said, like Nazihk said a while ago, an 8Gb card is definitely overkill. Don't get me wrong, it'll be great, and you'll be able to play just about anything on max graphics, but if you're trying to save money, you don't need that. I make do with a 4Gb card and can play pretty much everything on high settings, although I don't max mine out unless its something more cartoon-y like WoW. I think you'd be just fine with a 4Gb or even 6Gb card.

• Should have some rough pictures of the build by later this week :) 

Waiting to buy a second monitor due to financial constraints, going to use my laptop in the meantime. Other than that I will just slowly upgrading peripherals, adding a second monitor, a SSD (Started with 1 tb hybrid to get going), headset, etc. Hopefully all goes well!

Also Elsam showed me a way to get Windows 10 through my school for free, if it works out well I'll share the link here for future student builders.

Back to cooling, my case has one fan. I added a CPU fan, and my GPU has dual fans. Should I add more case fans if I have room? Also got thermal paste to seal my CPU fan.

Let's just hope that the Intel patch doesn't make me regret ditching AMD  :'(
  • Any monitor nerds out and about?

I'm looking for a large monitor for my home PC. How are 34-35" monitors? I've been reading that with IPS panels, it is basically a lottery if you get a good one, is this true? What recommendations do you have? Budget is ~$800.
  • Speaking of, anybody play on a curved monitor? I feel like it would be great for graphics but not necessarily a text game. Thoughts?
  • I have a curved monitor at work (I don't know why, it was provided to me). I have seen no downsides to it, and I do database admin most of the time. Wish I could take it home, though...
  • Solnir said:
    I have a curved monitor at work (I don't know why, it was provided to me). I have seen no downsides to it, and I do database admin most of the time. Wish I could take it home, though...
    What model?
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Has anyone ever built a Raspberry PI to play Achaea on?  
  • I thought @Zulah mentioned he does.
  • Solnir said:
    I have a curved monitor at work (I don't know why, it was provided to me). I have seen no downsides to it, and I do database admin most of the time. Wish I could take it home, though...
    Gotcha. I was running one briefly and didn't like the way it looked. though I was extending the display off my laptop and not my new PC so that may have been a factor in the quality. 
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Tysandr said:
    Also correct me if I'm wrong but I am told larger diameter fans generate less noise.
    I would like to think that in general, yes, larger fans would make less noise because they don't have to turn as fast to move more air.

That said though, any fan with improper balance will either make noise right from the get-go or the bearings will wear prematurely and you will get bearing noise.

It's all about quality with noise reduction. Stay away from cheapo brands because it's likely that the QA team at the factories are shit.

Also, sorry I'm late to the party.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • oh wow. That's awesome. Achaea off the grid.

I was really curious what a Raspberry Pi setup might look like, and what @Achilles had in mind. The Pi's advantage is obviously the size, enabling all sorts of custom projects. I didn't doubt it was capable of running Achaea: I've been using an Intel NUC for a tiny home office setup where I have a prohibitive lack of desk space, and the box is only about one and a half times the size of my mouse.But I was going to say - my two requirements for mudding would be 1. a sufficient screen resolution to fit enough lines that you don't get spammed out, and 2. a proper keyboard, which then means you need somewhere to rest it, which invalidates the benefit of the Pi.

But that solves both those problems.

The ipazzport keyboard looks not quite so good as a proper keyboard, but a whole lot better than a smartphone for input.

What sort of monitor is that? It looks like you've done some work removing its original housing and mounting it in the clear casing?
  • Zulah said:
    Achilles said:
    Has anyone ever built a Raspberry PI to play Achaea on?  
    @Achilles

I needed this during forced family fun camping trips. God damn it
  • edited January 2018
    It could be a lot smaller but I used the hard drive for a lot of things and its setup to hang on a pack and charge at the same time. From Top to Bottom: 4g at&t hotspot, 3TB drive, Rasberry Pi 3 with the 3.5 touch screen and clear acrylic case, 12000mAh solar charger, iPazzPort keyboard/mouse combo, and a grid-it cacoon to hold everything. Picture makes it look bigger than it is. Whole thing fits in a single pant cargo pocket easily. I've never run out of power, rather than alias' use assigned keys for almost everything and it's really not that bad. Just gag 99% and don't allow new lines so rather than seeing:

7454h 6039m 31510e 23840w exckdb
    You lash out with a straight kick at the left shoulder of Seragorn.
    The instep of your foot smashes into the left underarm of Seragorn, throwing him from his feet and
    sending him spinning to the ground.
    You spin a full rotation, bringing a twisted oaken staff around in a blur of motion to smash into
    the left arm of Seragorn.
    The staff connects to the left arm with a resounding crack, the limb flopping uselessly.
    You spin a full rotation, bringing a twisted oaken staff around in a blur of motion to smash into
    the right arm of Seragorn.
    The staff connects to the right arm with a resounding crack, the limb flopping uselessly.
    You are now maintaining a kata chain of 6 actions.
    7454h 6039m 31510e 23840w exckdb
    Seragorn exhales loudly.
    With a terrible roar Seragorn whips a colossal fist at your head.
    The stone fist of Seragorn crunches into your head.
    Stars explode in front of your eyes as the blow connects.
    The rock plates covering the form of Seragorn rapidly thicken, sharp spires of stone rapidly
    sprouting from them.
    6405h 6242m 31510e 23860w exckdb

I see:

[7454h/6039m] - Seragorn -> Frontkick(hit) Ruku(hit) Ruku(hit) - [7454h/6039m]
    [7454h/6039m] - Zulah <- Seragorn Head(hit) - [6405h /6242m ]
    It's not nearly as informative obviously but I've raided on it, and gotten kills 1v1 plenty on it.
  • @Antidas Resolved the crashing issue I was having last night.

Note to self, don't plug the space heater into the same power strip as my computer. 
  • Aesgar said:
    @Antidas Resolved the crashing issue I was having last night.

Note to self, don't plug the space heater into the same power strip as my computer. 
    Lol. Noob!

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Aesgar said:

Pretty sure I read you're not supposed to plug those into power strips at all... wall only.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Hello, meatbags. I saw this posted by a friend. Apparently, these humans are attempting to create a gaming PC with a budget of 26000 Philippine Pesos(approx. 512.98 USD according to Google). Sadly, I am slightly out of touch in terms of evaluating each individual PC component, so for the experts, I'd like to know your perspective on whether they are 'good enough':

Article (it's in English, don't worry about implanting translator microbes into your frontal lobe)

• I personally don't know enough about pricing in the Phillipines to really make any serious suggestions for budget builds. With that caveat, this seems pretty reasonable to me. 

It'll handle most anything you throw at it as long as you aren't expecting max settings, and the Ryzen series is pretty good bang for your buck. The Ryzen 3 1200 is the low end of the Ryzen chips, of course, but it's got good performance for its price range and if you want to upgrade later you can move up to the Ryzen 5 1600. You can't go past that with that build, though, because that mobo is restricted to 65W chips and IIRC all the Ryzens past the 1600 are 95W.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of that motherboard or the micro-ATX form factor in general, so if I could afford more I'd go to a mid-tower and a better motherboard. This is more future proofing than anything else, though. I'd also add a 250G SSD for a boot drive if possible, because an SSD makes a huge difference in load times. 

It might be possible to build something equivalent in that price range using the Intel i3-8100, but like I said before, I don't know pricing over there well enough to give any real budget suggestions.
  • Within the 2 weeks that I finished buying my computer parts and assembled my PC, prices have doubled on my GPU and gone up $200 on my motherboard. It's absurd
  • Blockchain Mining is a real thing that is screwing up the market for everyone else.
  • @Nazihk: Good advice. I suppose what I want is to have a baseline 'gaming pc that performs relatively well for its price' while giving it room for upgrades when I inevitably start saving more. From the same website, here are some examples of different tiers of gaming rigs. I'm curious to see if you'd know if the rigs they designed really fit the tier.

Also, for usd reference:
    • Entry-level: 26320 php = 517.19 usd
    • Mainstream: 48110 php = 945.36 usd
    • High end: 62180 php = 1221.84 usd
    • Uber high end: 92470 php = 1817.05 usd

• Antidas said:
    Aesgar said:

Lol. Noob!