Anti-Thieft Triggers

Greetings,

When new players play, sometimes they are absolutely new to the world of Achaea and MUDs.  They were playing an MMORPG and saw a banner with an image they thought was cool and clicked it.  They found out that it wasn't a Android App game and kept reading on into the website.

about 30 minutes later they are registered an account, reading about classes, races, cities.. and creating a character..

Again, they have Zero knowledge of MUDLET .. or MUDs..

They begin to play and have tons of fun, then they notice that the people of their city want them to start coding triggers in MUDLET, but they are new and have no clue how to do that, they aren't explained how to, except pretty much told to google it.

My question is.. (after giving some background that there are true newbies in the realm)..

Does anyone know where I can find Anti-Theft triggers or examples? I'm tasked with setting myself up so if I'm hypnotised by a Serpent that I can put my gold back in my bag, but I have yet to get anyone to try it on me so I can figure out what text I'm trying to capture.

I have come across some things that have Anti Theft in them, but they charge 125 dollars to use their product, and I just am learning, I'm sure I can make a simple trigger, I just don't know what text I'm looking for.

Thanks for the help.

Best Answers

• Accepted Answer
    wow 125 dollars? that's insane, not even sure what they are for! Anti theft triggers are simply things to aid with preventing sneaky snakes stealing your gold, such as learning SELFISHNESS in survival, and some failsafes, such as triggering to put your gold back in your pack when you take it out, then using queuing to buy things. A simple anti theft trigger would be:

^You get (.+) gold sovereigns from a canvas pack.$

send("put gold in pack")

^(.+) Snaps (his|her) fingers in front of you

send("put gold in pack")
    deleteFull()
    cecho("\n<blue:green><DodgerBlue><< "..matches[2]:title().." SNAPPED YOU, THEFT/AFFLICTIONS POTENTIALLY!!!<DodgerBlue> >>")

Also, try to use a container within a container, so say a coin box or a kitbag in a pack, so you put gold in kitbag, put kitbag in pack, if you do that, then instead of "put gold in pack" you'd do "take kitbag from pack/put gold in kitbag/put kitbag in pack" to make it harder for thieves to access it.

Also try to avoid carrying too much stuff ON you, only what you need, keep stuff inrifted and groups of things in your pack!

If you use mudlet, this will get around most attempts. 

Answers

• edited January 2018
    Mine also sends 
    send("CT I've been snapped by " ..matches[2].. " !")
    send("selfishness")
    for the snap.

I also have triggers for rewearing containers:
    ^You remove a bag of stasis.$ -> send("wear bag")

I don't know if thieves can make you give them containers, but I was told to do that.

also I have:
    ^A soft tug upon your apparel grabs at your attention, and in an instant you realise that your inventory is lighter.$
    send("selfishness") 

should probably also highlight that - that's a successful theft. But they can only steal so much gold at a time, so if you see that you can get away quickly and they won't have gotten much. (Is it 5k at a time?)

I've successfully thwarted an attempt to steal from me with these triggers. (I was not afk at the time.)

• Cailin said:
    Mine also sends 
    send("CT I've been snapped by " ..matches[2].. " !")
    send("selfishness")
    for the snap.

I also have triggers for rewearing containers:
    ^You remove a bag of stasis.$ -> send("wear bag")

I don't know if thieves can make you give them containers, but I was told to do that.

also I have:
    ^A soft tug upon your apparel grabs at your attention, and in an instant you realise that your inventory is lighter.$
    send("selfishness") 

should probably also highlight that - that's a successful theft. But they can only steal so much gold at a time, so if you see that you can get away quickly and they won't have gotten much. (Is it 5k at a time?)

I've successfully thwarted an attempt to steal from me with these triggers. (I was not afk at the time.)

Careful about selfishness on snap if you ever raid/combat, when you need to toss a mono down and they've snapped your selfishness up and you can't can get you. I forgot about the remove trigger, so that is super helpful. Definitely DO NOT do the CT one in Mhaldor, other cities might be ok with it but yeah, not in Mdor :D.
  • Please don't add a reaction to ct or clt or yell for help when you are snapped at. That will be obnoxious.

• Adding announce to CT/CLT on snap will just get a thief to snap you 50 times for giggles and your city very mad  :D

As far as triggers, Whispaire, if you're on mudlet all you gotta do is trigger the lines that people ask you to prepare for. You can ask IC fairly easy for what it is you have to prepare for, but as far as making triggers itself, you'll basically have what Minifie said. Make sure you pick 'perl regex' from the dropdown at the side if you're using Mudlet.
  • Will 100% abuse anyone who I learn ICly has a "ct help" trigger for snap, and will regret nothing.

As for triggers, I wouldn't do what @Cailin is suggesting and reflex "selfishness" to snap and such things. Its far too abusable in combat situations, and it won't really help you to protect your stuff in the long run. You're better off using the triggers @Minifie provided, and making sure you automatically keep selfishness up. Do that, and your gold will be pretty much completely secure.

• Eh, what do I know. :D

But that reminds me, Svof's 'sl' toggle is the best thing EVER and you should either get it or find something like it.
  • Kiet said:
    Adding announce to CT/CLT on snap will just get a thief to snap you 50 times for giggles and your city very mad  :D

As far as triggers, Whispaire, if you're on mudlet all you gotta do is trigger the lines that people ask you to prepare for. You can ask IC fairly easy for what it is you have to prepare for, but as far as making triggers itself, you'll basically have what Minifie said. Make sure you pick 'perl regex' from the dropdown at the side if you're using Mudlet.
    I did that a few times today, but no response.  People get busy and honestly, I figured that forums have helpful folks and I don't have to be worried about accidentally saying something out of character. hey someone else can benefit from the post! So that's a good thing.. it's now in the archives of the forums ..
  • Whispaire said:
    Kiet said:
    Adding announce to CT/CLT on snap will just get a thief to snap you 50 times for giggles and your city very mad  :D

I did that a few times today, but no response.  People get busy and honestly, I figured that forums have helpful folks and I don't have to be worried about accidentally saying something out of character. hey someone else can benefit from the post! So that's a good thing.. it's now in the archives of the forums ..
    It happens, plus sometimes just before you message I could duck out briefly, come back and your message is gone from all my chats, but never be afraid to poke my ass IG about stuff, I'm pretty rigid on trying to help novices, they are our lifeblood! :D
  • Cailin said:
    Eh, what do I know. :D

But that reminds me, Svof's 'sl' toggle is the best thing EVER and you should either get it or find something like it.
    nice, I had to go back and look at the Svof manual

sl
    a quick toggle for the vkeep selfishness option (keep selfishness up, or not and strip it).

• okay finally, here is what I ended up doing...

I did a hypno trigger
    ^(.+) Snaps (his|her) fingers in front of you

sendAll("get box from pack","open box","put sovereign in box","close box","put box in pack")
    deleteFull()
    cecho("\n<blue:green><DodgerBlue><< "..matches[2]:title().." SNAPPED YOU, THEFT/AFFLICTIONS POTENTIALLY!!!<DodgerBlue> >>")

I did the remove trigger for items that I'm wearing..

I also made a couple aliases

^getg$
    sendAll("get sovereign","get box from pack","open box","put gold in box","close box","put box in pack")

and

^gg (\d+)$
    sendAll("get box from pack","open box")
    send("get "..matches[2].. " gold from box")
    sendAll("close box","put box in pack")

they might not be pretty, I'm just learning how to do the basics.. but they work for what I want them to..

• edited January 2018
    You're gonna want to change it from 'Snaps' to 'snaps' else it's not gonna work. Case sensitivity is a thing in Mudlet.

I would highly consider setting a separator via CONFIG SEPARATOR, then using that instead of sendAll, so that all your actions get sent at once without any delay whatsoever in between.

EG:
    config separator ::              --This would be what you use now, to separator commands server-side. Do this in-game, not mudlet.<br>send("get box from pack::open box::put sovereigns in box::close box::put box in pack")<br>
    That would make it show as:

You take a box from your pack.
    You open the box.
    You put gold in box.
    You close the box.
    You put the box in your pack.
    <--prompt line goes here-->

Rather than having it send individual commands and be like:

You take a box from your pack.
    You open the box.
    You put gold in box.
    You close the box.
    You put the box in your pack.

• Just a warning, but posting your detailed and uncensored antitheft triggers in public is a bad idea if you dont want to get robbed :D
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Kiet said:
    Just a warning, but posting your detailed and uncensored antitheft triggers in public is a bad idea if you dont want to get robbed :D
    Well, apparently he couldn't get any help in game! Going to rob your own novices?
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited January 2018
    I'm not the only thief in the game, and getting help is not the same as posting your triggers and details verbatim. The latter is is what makes you a target, you should generally not share that kind of thing publicly imo.

This isn't to diss, just future advice!
  • edited January 2018
    To take on to the thread, but in a different direction.... you shouldn't need to pay for scripts for mudlet. For the basic to intermediate things there will already be free scripts available here and on the mudlet forums or people willing to point you in the right direction. Just ask.
  • I was going to say something about you being a shit person if you're taking OOC (forums) knowledge and thieving with it, but then I remembered most thieves aren't great people anyway. 
  • edited January 2018
    without getting into too much details, it helps to be more specific when you want to put your hard earned SOVEREIGNS in YOUR pack and wear YOUR pack. Ask people you know if they can help, most people don't mind speaking about these things totally out of characters. When it comes to help a new player I find that's even more the case
  • Solnir said:
    I was going to say something about you being a shit person if you're taking OOC (forums) knowledge and thieving with it, but then I remembered most thieves aren't great people anyway. 
    Hey, screw you!

For the record, I spent about half an hour or so talking with @Whispaire last night, so his trigger should be set. Mhaldor, take care of your novices!

• You're usually good Antidas. Even when you've stolen from temp alts I've played, you were willing to negotiate. I'm talking about thieves that rob people blind then completely ignore any attempt at conversation afterwards. :D