Pretty sure somebody tried to hack into my account

edited January 2018 in North of Thera
Hi there,

There was 100 failed log-in attempts when I logged in to check something. I am inactive right now, but I don't relish the idea of my account being totaled. What do I do?

Many thanks!

Comments

• @silvaria wrong name bro.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    The best thing you can do is just change your password to something complex and secure, and just be aware. There's really nothing else that can be done at this point.

I've had it happen in the past and while scary, usually nothing comes of it.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Your name seems to be common within WOW, within Final Fantasy and is a pretty standard Surname so it could be that people tried to use as in Character creation and not actually a hacking attempt.

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Thank you!
  • Definitely worth the admins notice since it says login attempt?
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    You're referring to HELP HACKING when you get the notice, which more or less informs you there's nothing the admin can do (about the attempts anyway). Though, there is this tidbit at the bottom, and maybe this'll help ease your mind:

6) In cases where failed login attempts happen more than a few times, you may wish to email your full, proper registration information to support@achaea.com, who can record it separately in case of a successful hack, and can record the internet addressing information of the failed login attempts.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • edited January 2018
    Thank you guys. Unless I am reading the game wrong, (I don't think I am,) since last night there was another 100+ failed login attempts, and since the last time I logged in maybe an hour ago, another 3. I very much doubt at this point that this is the work of people mistaking my username for other similar usernames. Mel, I am taking your advice and contacting Support, though frankly it is sad that somebody in this game is enough of a lowlife to be pulling this shit.

Anyway, to salvage some actual use out of this thread, if it could happen to me, it could happen to you, and it seems we have some "winners" in our midst. Secure your account with whatever measures are out there. Considering the money a lot of us blow on Achaea, getting the account destroyed is probably not a possibility anybody likes to contemplate.
  • It is the internet, don't expect anything less than people under-delivering on expectations. Contact support and tell them to protect you! :D
  • Somebody really wants your flowers. Me, that would be me, I really want your flowers back. Pretty pretty please sell them again? 

(Def not hacking your account. But if I were going to hack an account, it would be for your flowers, or @Trey for his perfume.)
  • Do you leave your computer on at night, in sleep mode, or keep it turned off? Also do you use the name, Silvarien, for any other games or as part of an email address?
    That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • Silvarien has a lot of CR, so could potentially be a target by someone disgusting and unscrupulous. Let Admins know, change password to something crazy hard (and potentially hide it somewhere just for yourself). 
  • edited January 2018
    It could be a malware or a bot that is trying to log into whatever account and application it detected (which is the worst case scenario).

Most likely is some dude trying to brute force it with a password cracker tool.

Make sure to use 9 characters with a minimum of any lowercase, upper case letters, numbers, and symbols. 

6 character passwords take a day to crack. 7 characters can take a month. 8 around half a month year. 9 or more characters can take over a decade to crack (which by then you should have already changed the password again).

Here's some random password generator sites you can try:

https://lastpass.com/generatepassword.php (i find this one the most user friendly and the company that supports this application is dedicated to providing consumers with password management services)
    https://passwordsgenerator.net/
    https://xkpasswd.net/s/

That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • man I'm over 9, that's great advice lucianus! Updooted.
  • edited January 2018
    Thank you guys, I'll make a password like you suggested. I am in quit mode right now and am not sure if I can return, but I don't want my account hijacked and destroyed.

Yeah, I was CR6 in Cyrene though I had to leave the City due to wanting to play Priest. To the best of my knowledge, I left on good terms with the government and am welcome back if I request to return. I have some people who I dislike and who dislike me, but I think that's the case with anyone. I did my best to help people and to step on the minimal number of toes.

I'll secure my account as best I can. I do hope that the staff can help with that on their end, but also that these idiots aren't targeting anybody but me. Inactive or not, logging in and seeing 100 login attempts every time is creepy as hell.

Thanks again, everyone.
  • You caught me :( I just really missed Sirenie.
  • There should be an IP associated with the failed attempts. Punch it into google, see if that gives any clues.