Memorable quotes

Comments

• edited January 2018
    Antidas said:
    Kiet said:
    If Achaea didn't charge 50 credits per item you want to keep safe (plus non-decay, realistically), then maybe the argument that it's your 'responsibility' to keep unique things safe might not be so ridiculous.
    It doesn't charge you 50 credits per item. It charges you like, 2 reflexes and 100 lessons to get selfishness. Even if you don't make those reflexes, targeted pickpocket chances are incredibly small. Its easier for items like that to get stolen sitting in a house than it is to carry them with you. So don't leave them sitting in a house.
    If all it took was triggers and selfishness to be 100% safe then I'd be a lot poorer.

and yes, sitting in a house is unsafe. That's why people use ships.
  • Kiet said:
    Antidas said:
    Kiet said:
    If Achaea didn't charge 50 credits per item you want to keep safe (plus non-decay, realistically), then maybe the argument that it's your 'responsibility' to keep unique things safe might not be so ridiculous.
    It doesn't charge you 50 credits per item. It charges you like, 2 reflexes and 100 lessons to get selfishness. Even if you don't make those reflexes, targeted pickpocket chances are incredibly small. Its easier for items like that to get stolen sitting in a house than it is to carry them with you. So don't leave them sitting in a house.
    If all it took was triggers and selfishness to be 100% safe then I'd be a lot poorer.

and yes, sitting in a house is unsafe. That's why people use ships.
    No, you'd be a lot poorer if people actually took the time to try to defend themselves properly. However, people don't take the time to set up the 2 triggers they need to permanently protect their gold and keys because they're lazy, or think no one would ever try to rob them. And then you or I rob them, because they were stupid enough not to protect themselves. I find it hard to have any sympathy for people who are too lazy to spend 5 minutes asking a serpent in their faction how pickpocket works and then setting up 2 basic triggers based on that knowledge to protect themselves.

Melodie said:
    Yeah, screw you and your desire to make your house living and breathing like the rest of the world. I want your items so you're just gonna have to hold onto them so no one ever sees or gets to interact with them, ever!!

:unamused:
    I personally don't engage in house theft very often, but I again have little sympathy for people who don't take basic precautions to protect themselves. If you're going to chose to place things that you put a lot of value on in your house, you should take the basic precautions to defend those items. Drop flamed monolith and eye sigils. Don't go afk in the house. Do this, and your stuff is totally safe. If you aren't willing to do that, then don't put important things in your house. I, for one, have never put anything I place any actual importance on in my house, and I periodically forget to use those basic defenses because I just don't care. Tiamat apparently broke in at some point recently and took some commodities that I put there. Shrug. I have a number of items that I care greatly about, that I would never leave lying around my house for exactly that reason.

To be clear here, I'm not sure I actually disagree with people's desires to make private housing more impervious to infiltration. But that doesn't mean I have sympathy for people who haven't taken the time to protect themselves and ended up getting screwed because of it. The only thing I'd be concerned about with changes like this is having another place where people can go to avoid consequences. There's too many people who would go do stupid shit, and then run to their house and laugh at the angry mob who comes after them. Its hard to find a balance to protect those people who just want to mind their own business, while still ensuring the idiot who likes antagonizing everyone and then hiding can't hide completely.

• Guys, this is the quotes thread. There's a whole other thread, solely about discussing housing changes, over here.

I actually have some memorable quotes, from the Universal Membrane, but due to their NSFW nature I probably shouldn't post them. Nice to know multiple groups of people are still using Achaea to mudsex after all these years.
  • According to thieves, yes it does.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    I agree with Melodie. What's the point of housing, furnishing, Itinerant Bazaars, and other events that have limited edition items if you can't display these things safely without spending a fortune to non-decay and reset them? You have to decide between spending a fortune or just letting it collect in your pack which defeats the purpose entirely. Make housing safe. Heck, make pack theft more dangerous again if you have to.

If people running from consequences is a problem the admins can try to find some other compromise for that, but I am sure they'll just run to city or somewhere else anyways. If you make houses impenetrable you can make it so there is a cool down on when they enter a house because cities won't have to worry about defending break-ins anymore in the subdivisions. Therefore you at least have a chance at catching them in their city in the open depending on where they're standing at, so it's less safe than ships have been.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Like I said, I don't really have any problem with making housing more secure. All I said was I don't have sympathy who get robbed because they didn't take the necessary steps to protect themselves. You (@Melodie) getting DC'd isn't your fault, and the fact that that happened and can happen does suck. Especially because Santar killed you afterwards because he didn't get anything, thats uber shitty. Par for the course for Santar though.

My only concern with housing being more secure, as stated above, is finding a good balance to ensure antagonists can't use very cheap housing to hide from consequences. Ships can be used for this pretty easily, but they are far more expensive than buying a single room in a subdivision.

• never posting credit prices again

i'm a rebel

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    I’ve been robbed by Antidas whilst on an alt before and that was even with selfishness and two reflexes. Unfortunately I am frequently prone to 5-20 second latency issues with Mudlet which means the triggers I had set up weren’t firing right away.

I was okay with that. I lost some gold. I threw out a contract, because any valid reason to feed some starving mark is a-okay with me.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Kyrra said:
    I’ve been robbed by Antidas whilst on an alt before and that was even with selfishness and two reflexes. Unfortunately I am frequently prone to 5-20 second latency issues with Mudlet which means the triggers I had set up weren’t firing right away.

I was okay with that. I lost some gold. I threw out a contract, because any valid reason to feed some starving mark is a-okay with me.
    Ok yeah, I didn't take latency into consideration. Would recommend using server-side triggers and queueing to solve this, I think (could be wrong) that it should then fire when the message is recognized by the server, and not necessarily by your client? Honestly not sure on this, but its worth a shot. <3 sorry for the theft due to latency!

• Antidas said:

Would recommend using server-side triggers and queueing to solve this
    ...I'm about 99% sure server-side triggers do not exist.  If they do, why am I unaware of them?! That's pretty big.
  • Please tell me where to implement server-side triggers, because I would immediately be so much more efficient using them.
  • the trick to serverside triggers is to live on the west coast with 5 ping
  • jk. I was thinking of server-side aliases which I never ever use, and thus instantly thought about triggers. I derped.

• Speaking of memorable quotes, let's get this back on track.

Antidas said:
     I derped.

• I just have a room in the caverns that like three people know about where I put all of my stuff. Two of them are dormant so HaHA! 

Pls don’t be mad when u come back dadbel. 

• Inb4 he takes it all as an offering on his return
  • edited January 2018
    He can also have my soul Irl

• Melodie said:
    The thing is, it's a game of "do everything perfectly all the time, every time" in order to keep items in your house. All it takes is one minor lapse in security, just once, and everything is gone.
    I've had to be away IRL for good amount of time, and the above statement is making me worried about coming back because a lot of my 'security' stuff has probably decayed (packs, shimmer orbs, etc.). :cold_sweat: I've already resigned myself to the fact that my little house has probably already been raided because I haven't been around to upkeep sigils.

Theft is incredibly unkind to anyone who has to take a break and I'm all for changing this. :)
     <3 
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    When they first introduced retirement, a lot of people were logging into old alts to see if their throwaways would qualify. As a result, many long-dormant characters were popping out of the woodwork completely naked with gold in their hands. Of course someone either scummy or opportunistic (maybe both) decided to take advantage of the fact by going on a pickpocketing spree.

I frequently have to remind myself that for every seemingly decent person who plays the game there's also another person who will do that sort of thing. When we talk about implementing changes, we always have to keep that in mind. :/

• Publically name and shame thieves. Happy to kill anyone

• Pretty much.  I don't think the spread of decent to indecent is even, but it only takes one. 
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Dunn said:
    Publically name and shame thieves. Happy to kill anyone
    Can I name and shame myself? I'll name myself. But you already gank me once in a while anyways, so nothing new here lol. Only other steady thief I know is Tiamat.

• Bubblefart (male Grook). 

Nothing else needs to be said.
  • Kogan said:
    Bubblefart (male Grook). 

Nothing else needs to be said.
    I mean... When you fart underwater it makes bubbles... so at least it makes sense?
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Tasuu said:
    An oversized turkey squirms impatiently, slipping out of Antidas's grasp.
    Hey, sue me, turkey is delicious and I wanted to try my hand.

• In Cyrene, drinking with a few citymates, and then this happens:

Araig says to you, "Youuh have to show me that prICk one daY."
    Lurch throws up his hands and rolls his eyes in exasperation.
    Araig says to you, "You havee to show me thhhax trjckk one nay."
    Araig says, "TRrICK I SsAIiD TRICK."
    Lurch says in a deep, soothing voice, "Cyrenian Families."
    Araig says, "Nott Prick."
    Lurch blinks.
    You roll on the floor, laughing.
    Lurch rolls on the floor, laughing.

• Acrius says, "Ho ho ho."

Acrius gives a brightly coloured gift box to you.

Acrius gives a piece of coal to you.

This large square box is covered with brightly coloured paper adorned with autumn leaves. A huge bow of yellow, green, and red is wrapped around it, and the entire thing is just begging to be opened.
    It has 2 months of usefulness left.
    It weighs 5 ounce(s).
    It bears the distinctive mark of Aemilie, the Eleusian weaver (a denizen).
    A brightly coloured gift box is holding:
    "sigil551503"                           a cube sigil
    [- 243 gold sovereigns -]
    It contains a total of 2 items of a max of 5.

___

Too soon :lol: