The ongoing Yggdrasil event

Comments

• I think the admin are awesome for putting so  much effort into this release. In saying that, though, I've also never been a fan of quests in any of these games that didn't involve simply turning in corpses for gold.

It might be a few ooc years before I play an Elemental Lord! B)
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• Ismay said:
    I think the admin are awesome for putting so  much effort into this release. In saying that, though, I've also never been a fan of quests in any of these games that didn't involve simply turning in corpses for gold.

I got so frustrated with the syntax of one quest in the fire compound I've not bothered with others. The syntax that worked didn't even make sense, especially when it was required to be so specific. 

I'm torn between huge admiration for what the admin achieved and frustration at being back into the 1980's text games.

Seeing as that frustration makes me feel like I'm  an arsehole I've just decided not to bother with the EL side of things.  

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • edited December 2017
    Sobriquet said:
    Ismay said:
    I think the admin are awesome for putting so  much effort into this release. In saying that, though, I've also never been a fan of quests in any of these games that didn't involve simply turning in corpses for gold.

I got so frustrated with the syntax of one quest in the fire compound I've not bothered with others. The syntax that worked didn't even make sense, especially when it was required to be so specific. 

I'm torn between huge admiration for what the admin achieved and frustration at being back into the 1980's text games.

Seeing as that frustration makes me feel like I'm  an arsehole I've just decided not to bother with the EL side of things.  
    I kind of like the obscurity of the words, phrases, or actions needed. I've taken a break from my own questing a few times to help people come up with ideas to try. But then, it's a bit easier to not become frustrated with someone else's quest.  :) Edit: I've been plenty frustrated with my own.
  • edited December 2017
    *slow clap*
    That has to be the most professional and tactful way I've ever heard someone say, "Eetadik".

Good job to you merry band of fools(tm) for taking on the enormous task of 'pleasing a majority of game players'

• @makarios @nicola this may be an unpopular request, but can I just buy the new class? I have absolutely no interest in exploring 2000 new rooms without a mapper and I've always despised questing. I understand that some people absolutely love doing those things and happily spend hours and hours guessing syntaxes for a quest, and I think they should have that option.

i also think people who are busy irl and maybe don't have/want to spend the time doing things they despise should miss out on new content completely, especially if we're willing to pay!

This isn't an insult to the hard work the volunteers put in, and I appreciate all that they do. I think it's  just really poor design to release content that's gated behind time consuming tasks, similar to Nish before changes were made to make it more accessible to everyone. 
  • edited December 2017
    Karren said:
    @makarios @nicola this may be an unpopular request, but can I just buy the new class? I have absolutely no interest in exploring 2000 new rooms without a mapper and I've always despised questing. I understand that some people absolutely love doing those things and happily spend hours and hours guessing syntaxes for a quest, and I think they should have that option.

i also think people who are busy irl and maybe don't have/want to spend the time doing things they despise should miss out on new content completely, especially if we're willing to pay!

This isn't an insult to the hard work the volunteers put in, and I appreciate all that they do. I think it's  just really poor design to release content that's gated behind time consuming tasks, similar to Nish before changes were made to make it more accessible to everyone. 

I mean, you said it yourself...
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    As long as they get to have first honours, too.
    He was the first to pay his way to Prime Minister of the Coterie, and the mantle of Air Lord.
  • Zulah said:

It's a horrid bashing class. (Currently newbie kicking bashes faster than air lord)

Not to be nitpicky, but as an Earth Lord, bashing as one is a god-send for me.

Other than that, I agree with the rest of your statement.

• I agree with being able to BUY into more things, instant gratification thingy, but not diluting the essence of the game. Gaming are getting more and more casual, folks enter a game to play what they enjoy, most don't follow the intended designed experience. Long attention span is very rare especially with the gen z. Work and economy is also getting challenging, for us that could pay at times we really have very little mind space for game, hence we'd prioritize what we enjoy best. We could spend a long time in game but just can't contain so many things into the brain along with life challenges. I am not sure how it can be done, experts know better, but I think buying access into elemental lords or let them complete the quest for access, having both at the same time doesn't smell bad... I will still quest for it, despite the frustration over syntax hunting, given the quest lines are really really well designed. I got goose bumps when they announced I am the new Cacharann.
  • edited December 2017
    Can confirm, Earth Lord bashing is great(er than my current classes).

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • Aralaya said:
    I very hope arties effect comes into play sooner, so I can stay Earth Lord since I bash most of the time. I like the flavor!
  • Dochitha said:
    Aralaya said:
    I very hope arties effect comes into play sooner, so I can stay Earth Lord since I bash most of the time. I like the flavor!
    Technically, the only artie effects that matter to me are my +sip, +3 con and crit arties. 23 con so good.

• Please don't make this buyable, admin. Zulah hit it on the head, but it'll also make it mean a lot less to those of us who actually quested for it.
  • I laughed out loud at the notion of buying Lord. 

• Now that a lot of people have it and can help you through it, it doesn't even take that long.

I am extremely surprised at how quick it was. Legit thought it would take 10 times as long, minimum. 

• My original post came off a bit shittier than I intended, and I apologize. I would never intentionally insult the admin, I have nothing but respect for you guys and I do not envy your job.

That being said, my complaint still stands. The last two major releases have left me feeling incredibly frustrated. All of this amazing, fun content that was essentially locked behind absurd membership requirements or time consuming tasks. As the player base continues to age, and we all accept more responsibilities in our own life, forcing us to join Orders or quest for RL days, just to be able to access the new plane, or pickup a new class, is just a design that I will never get behind.

That's not to say I don't think people who do those things should not be rewarded. I think they should. I'm perfectly okay with them getting benefits that I can't get simply because they have more time to spend. That's a really cool idea, and I'd love to see more of that.

What I don't want to see is those people who do have more time to spend be the -only- ones who get to play with these new things. That's a ridiculously poor decision to make, because you're cutting off a huge portion of the game.

I'm really glad you guys have enjoyed the quest, and the new areas. That's great. Achaea is so much more fun when people like Zulah, Austere, Dunn, etc, are all engaged and participating in events. I think it's amazing that you can earn a new class completely IG, and I'm glad people are doing it, and enjoying it!

But I'd like to play, too, and I simply don't have/won't commit my limited free time to doing things that are not enjoyable to me. I don't think this is an unfair stance to take, and I think the burden is on the administration to figure out a way for players like me to be able to, y'know, play Achaea.
  • I can't speak to the other factions, but you can spend literally just an hour or so a day on Water and make meaningful progress, especially as a non-Mhaldorian. You're not going to get Water Lord by poopsocking simply because there's hard caps on how much reputation you can gain due to quest cooldowns.
  • You might spend hours and hours in gameplay figuring out the individual quests, but you can divide that across as many days as you need to. I don't think there's any real penalty for taking your time, though I kind of didn't, so I can't speak with absolute confidence.

There are caps on how much time you can spend once you do figure them out, though. You can probably even spend half an hour a day, at least for air tasks, and still make progress. It might feel like slow progress, but that's largely due to the feedback being pretty granular (a couple ranks at most is the only way you know you're progressing).

I don't know what happens if you spend less than that each day. I hear your VILLAGEFEELINGS goes down, but who knows if that actually affects anything.
  • Synbios said:
    Zulah said:

It's a horrid bashing class. (Currently newbie kicking bashes faster than air lord)

Not to be nitpicky, but as an Earth Lord, bashing as one is a god-send for me.

Other than that, I agree with the rest of your statement.
    I should have been more specific as I don't know how other lords bash. Air Lord bashing alone is what I was referring to. Its bad on a whole other level of bad.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Water Lord bashing doesnt feel too much better. Everything seems to take an age to whittle down. I wish we could at the very -least- flux blade blade against denizens

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• edited December 2017
    I'd put Water right around Paladin SnB: Takes an eternity to kill things, but enough resources that you'll stay alive while doing it.

Lifestream is a 24% heal, Purify is an active heal that repeats a short time later, and the Swell battlerage heals you 3% per tick.

I don't like solo-bashing with it, but I'll happily follow Dragons around and keep them alive.

edit: flux blade blade would be awesome but also push the class up another few tiers in bashing strength, which I can definitely see them not wanting to do.
  • edited December 2017
    Karren said:
    My original post came off a bit shittier than I intended, and I apologize. I would never intentionally insult the admin, I have nothing but respect for you guys and I do not envy your job.

That being said, my complaint still stands. The last two major releases have left me feeling incredibly frustrated. All of this amazing, fun content that was essentially locked behind absurd membership requirements or time consuming tasks. As the player base continues to age, and we all accept more responsibilities in our own life, forcing us to join Orders or quest for RL days, just to be able to access the new plane, or pickup a new class, is just a design that I will never get behind.

That's not to say I don't think people who do those things should not be rewarded. I think they should. I'm perfectly okay with them getting benefits that I can't get simply because they have more time to spend. That's a really cool idea, and I'd love to see more of that.

What I don't want to see is those people who do have more time to spend be the -only- ones who get to play with these new things. That's a ridiculously poor decision to make, because you're cutting off a huge portion of the game.

I'm really glad you guys have enjoyed the quest, and the new areas. That's great. Achaea is so much more fun when people like Zulah, Austere, Dunn, etc, are all engaged and participating in events. I think it's amazing that you can earn a new class completely IG, and I'm glad people are doing it, and enjoying it!

But I'd like to play, too, and I simply don't have/won't commit my limited free time to doing things that are not enjoyable to me. I don't think this is an unfair stance to take, and I think the burden is on the administration to figure out a way for players like me to be able to, y'know, play Achaea.
    This is some spoiled child mentality, no offense.

You don't need to 'quest for hours' to access any of the new areas. You can, right now, walk up to the embassy, take a 30 second scripted interview, and then explore all the elemental planes to your leisure. The rest of the tree is easily accessed by typing 'embrace flame.' If you meant nish... well nish isn't new. It's also a bit ridiculous to expect mechanics to strengthen order identity to cater to people not even affiliated to a divine. You don't even have to be in the order yourself.

It doesn't take ridiculous amounts of time to get elemental lord. Playing leisurely (like spending 30-60 mins a day at most), it should take a week or two at most to get unless you're a mhaldorian trying to get water (you're not).

If you're so narrow-scoped that you only enjoy one thing in achaea (here, pk, but it could be anything), then that's 100% your choice, and it'll, 100%, have consequences. If you never involve yourself in city politics you'll never make a difference in your city, either, but would you come here and suggest you should be able to buy city leadership so you can force your city to go to war so you can get more pk?

You have like 20 other classes to access purely through paying your way through. Allow people to have tangible rewards for content they enjoy, and don't seek to diminish the feeling of accomplishment because you can't be bothered.
  • You spent 100-200 times the amount of time getting dragon as you would need to spend to get EL. EL is, arguably, more powerful in PK than Dragon.

If you don't like questing, ask friends to help you. You can get EL in two days if you try.

• Kiet said:
    Karren said:
    My original post came off a bit shittier than I intended, and I apologize. I would never intentionally insult the admin, I have nothing but respect for you guys and I do not envy your job.

This is some spoiled child mentality, no offense.

You don't need to 'quest for hours' to access any of the new areas. You can, right now, walk up to the embassy, take a 30 second scripted interview, and then explore all the elemental planes to your leisure. The rest of the tree is easily accessed by typing 'embrace flame.' If you meant nish... well nish isn't new. It's also a bit ridiculous to expect mechanics to strengthen order identity to cater to people not even affiliated to a divine. You don't even have to be in the order yourself.

It doesn't take ridiculous amounts of time to get elemental lord. Playing leisurely (like spending 30-60 mins a day at most), it should take a week or two at most to get unless you're a mhaldorian trying to get water (you're not).

If you're so narrow-scoped that you only enjoy one thing in achaea (here, pk, but it could be anything), then that's 100% your choice, and it'll, 100%, have consequences. If you never involve yourself in city politics you'll never make a difference in your city, either, but would you come here and suggest you should be able to buy city leadership so you can force your city to go to war so you can get more pk?

You have like 20 other classes to access purely through paying your way through. Allow people to have tangible rewards for content they enjoy, and don't seek to diminish the feeling of accomplishment because you can't be bothered.
    Firstly, you can't be a total cunt and then follow it up with 'no offense'. That's a Ricky Bobby mentality, and you're better than that. 

Secondly, I'm glad you brought up the ways to enjoy Achaea, because there are -so- many different ways to do it. What I enjoy isn't necessarily what you enjoy, and it's certainly not what Kyrra (first name I could think of) enjoys. I think people get so caught up in what they enjoy and are convinced that this is the 'right' way to play Achaea. There is no right way to play Achaea, which is the beauty of it, and a huge reason why I keep coming back.

I'm not suggesting that I be able to buy Dawnlord, because that's absurd. That circles back to my point that people who do have more time should get things I could never hope to accomplish, and that's a good thing. Achaea should never be a place where you can just buy things that should require a time investment.

What I can do, though, is join a city that actively participates in combat, and with minimal time investment, get involved and get my pk fix that way. That's really all I'm suggesting here. A way to participate in all the really, really cool stuff the admin cook up without ruining my social life, or calling in to work. 

I'm sorry if any of you feel diminished because I suggested that you should be able to buy into new content, but this isn't some world changing view. Achaea is a game, and I get excited when new things get released in games I enjoy, and I get incredibly frustrated when I find out that it'll require RL weeks of time investment before I get to participate. 

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    I’m on Karren’s mind <3
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."