Cross Plane Communication

This was discussed in another thread some, but I think there is some real merit to moving ALL CHANNELS to function cross plane. Except on Annwyn. Reasoning being that the game is already so small, that siloing the playerbase further does not help.

I would love to hear @Makarios and @Nicola thoughts on this, as well as, differing or supporting thoughts.

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Also, please make it able to hear denizens when they speak in Channels while we are on another plane :(

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• History for house channels has been mucked up lately as well. Looks as if things said off plane are not recorded to history, and only heard.
  • And being able to use history at all while off plane!

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Taryius said:
    History for house channels has been mucked up lately as well. Looks as if things said off plane are not recorded to history, and only heard.
    For the record, that's always been the case. I wouldn't mind if it was changed, but that isn't a "muck up", unless its been mucked up since the inception of history channels

• Antidas said:
    Taryius said:
    History for house channels has been mucked up lately as well. Looks as if things said off plane are not recorded to history, and only heard.
    For the record, that's always been the case. I wouldn't mind if it was changed, but that isn't a "muck up", unless its been mucked up since the inception of history channels
    I'd say its a muck up now that house channels cross plane. I can have a discussion with a novice while on Yggdrasil and then later check history and only be able see his end of the conversation.

Everyone on prime can here me, but none of it recorded in history. 
  • Taryius said:
    I'd say its a muck up now that house channels cross plane. I can have a discussion with a novice while on Yggdrasil and then later check history and only be able see his end of the conversation.

That's how it's worked since 2012 for off-continent communication (Meropis, islands, northern Sapience, etc.), other planes are just added to the list now.
  • Sena said:
    Taryius said:

That's how it's worked since 2012 for off-continent communication (Meropis, islands, northern Sapience, etc.), other planes are just added to the list now.
    I can confirm 100% (At least for Meropis, but my memory has always been like this for Northern Sapience/Istarion and Prin) that channel history is recorded.
  • It must have been fixed then, I know it wasn't showing anything said from islands before.
  • I agree with the above and have been saying this for a while. In making the game bigger we've made it significantly smaller

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • edited December 2017
    Sobriquet said:
    I agree with the above and have been saying this for a while. In making the game bigger we've made it significantly smaller
    100% agree.

Scattering the population in a game this size is almost never a good thing.
  • It's difficult to say how much is due to the fact we're only a few days away from Christmas or burnout from the events leading up to this stuff being released, but limited or no ability to interact with the few people who are logged in definitely isn't helping the feeling that the game is almost completely empty.

• I'm a little shocked that they decided to go this route after reversing that decision with Meropis, islands and ships.  If isolating those was a bad idea, why did they decide to isolate Yggdrasil and the elemental planes?

I can understand if they wanted to add some features to chat channels that made the distance feel greater (say, a delay with a flavor message for example) but completely cutting them off just fragments the playerbase.

As for why fragmenting your playerbase is a bad idea, see the recentish (year or two ago now) problems several online shooters have had with DLC maps fragmenting their playerbase and the downfall that caused.
  • Cross plane communication seems to be put into place. Verified on OOC channel, House Talk and Party chat.

Thank you for this change! So much better!
  • Sweet Ironbeard, cross plane communication is the best gift. Thanks Garden!
  • I had hoped the lack of clan would spur more CT and HT use but from what I saw it only increased skype/discord/etc use
  • The above, so so much. Don't get me wrong, Ashtan is nice and all. But, from my own experience, it is also very dead. More city channel activity could do a lot to improve participation and even morale. It's the small steps in the right direction that matter.
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• Penwize said:
    Since it's changed, I think we the playerbase should take this opportunity to reflect on our OOC clan usage and make a conscious, concerted effort to start moving whatever conversations we can over to IC channels.  I know a lot of cities complain about the quiet on their CT, and from what I can tell, a lot of the conversations on clans could easily be moved to CT.  If not CT, maybe explore the idea of a casual IC clan so that people aren't prone to going ctoff.  IC things don't have to be restricted to only serious business.
    I agree. We also need to stop with the instant HELP BLAH as a direct response to questions as that invariably goes over to a clan. People have been so anal in the past about what goes on CT though it' stopped being used. I understand, for example,  Mhaldor's CT from an RP standpoint 100% but the flip side of that is the place can seem quiet. The clan makes a nice balance for the most part, but clans don't -feel- IC like the city or house channels do.

The producers have worked their arse off to give us great content in a genre where most of friends are amazed the Achaea servers are still on, let alone actively being developed. They've listened on the communication channels, now let us as the player base back that up.

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • I mean, Mhaldor clans are 100% IC. Which is also why blocking all clans was the wrong approach if we were trying to encourage IC communication only, imo, and why I asked for org clans to at least go through planes.

Problem solved apparently, though!