Current state of cities - What to choose and why?

Hello!

I've been playing another IRE game for few years and I'm finally thinking about moving to Achaea.

So far, I've chosen my class: Depthswalker. Seems that some of the classes are restricted to certain cities.

What are the current states of the cities/big organisations? I like PvE and PvP. PvP more. And I don't mind RPing, it can be really fun when there's right people.
My goals are to eventually be able to 1v1 people and of course join raiding and bigger group fights. Everything that involves me into combat.

What do you suggest and why? Let me know if you need anything more to know.

Comments

• You will have the most opportunities for combat in Mhaldor, Targossas, Ashtan, and Eleusis. Which of those is currently the most active shifts frequently enough that if I were you, I'd pick from there based on whose RP flavor seems most interesting to you. 
  • Thank you for the quick responses. I'd like to keep this thread alive for a moment, in case there are other newcomers that are pondering what city to choose. More we have general AND personal opinions about the cities, better picture we get. 
  • Mhaldor/Targossas/Eleusis/Ashtan are good if you want to take a PVP-heavy approach, depending on which faction really appeals to you - this is just echoing what's been said, but it bears repeating. Mhaldor tends to be more niche and violent in RP, but also tends to be heavier in the RP theme by necessity. Targossas is the most populated with PVP talent at the moment (stick around long enough on the forums and you'll hear them brag as much). Eleusis and Ashtan have plenty of really, really skilled combatants, but - and please don't take this as derogatory - it seems like once you take the combat leaders out of the mix, a lot of their sting is removed. Maybe there needs to be more combat leadership there, but I'm not sure. :heart:

Cyrene has the strongest economy out of the other cities, and are good for a more nuanced/less PVP approach - we also tend to be the most newbro-friendly just by dint of numbers and non-PK options. We aren't as 'blood for the blood god' as other cities, but we have a fighting House and a dedicated group of people that commit themselves to successful dueling. (I'm biased here, partially because my character is Cyrenian and @Minifie is acting dumb. :heart: )

Hashan is kind of a weird middle-ground. Decent economy, technically factional with some decent combatants thrown in, but the strengths are a little more obscure for me. Beyond the quality of shops there and the individuals I've spoken with, I don't know as much to comment on it. Maybe someone else from there could?

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Darkeas said:
    join raiding and bigger group fights.
    So not Cyrene then
  • Atalkez said:
    Bronislav said:
    Targossas is the most populated with PVP talent at the moment (stick around long enough on the forums and you'll hear them brag as much).
    Salty boi
    The saltiest of salty. :wink: Doesn't make it less true.

• i'm 100% the most talented step up and get on my level atalbro
     <3 
  • edited December 2017
    There you go: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/5942/cities/p1

24 pages of pure "love"

• Hate to say it, but Farrah's spot on about the pk aspect for each city. As for RP, I personally found more of it in both Mhaldor and Targossas. Now, that isn't to say that the other cities don't offer it - your taste may differ.
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• Farrah said:

RP from city to city varies pretty drastically so you might want to dip toes on alts and try them out to see what you like most.
    Not that I disagree with this, but I do want to add - I don't think alts are an effective way to enter a city's combat culture. I'm sure everyone advertises their city as open to combat eager newbies, but I find this personally true only to an extent. It's very easy to tell when there's someone who is just alting or switching cities just to try out factional classes (I saw this a lot in Eleusis, like Xinna too many to name). I don't mind them joining, but I didn't care that they were gone either - combat alts are all the same in the end, and there is so many of them (no you're not as good as you think you are). The really fun raiding experiences come when you've developed a core group of friends who are constantly willing to pvp and do crazy shit with you. Hard to do that on a throwaway alt.

Of course, everyone loves a new person joining their core raiding group, no matter how elitist they may act A-team. But it is not as simple as just starting up a new character and joining in on all the pvp fun. Getting into the core elite group of a city requires putting some hard work into making yourself indispensable - and most importantly, actually being fun to play with. 

tl;dr Status in city raiding group directly correlated with your number of earrings.
  • To be honest, I'd recommend getting started on your character in the place that seems to fit your idea of your character best, and just play! Maybe you'll find you picked right all along, maybe you'll find another faction's stories and concept (or just the people there) more interesting. Either way, having fun in Achaea is mostly about how your character 'feels' to you, as a player, so developing your character and diving in is the most helpful way to decide, I've personally found. 
  • Iakimen said:
    Farrah said:

RP from city to city varies pretty drastically so you might want to dip toes on alts and try them out to see what you like most.
    Not that I disagree with this, but I do want to add - I don't think alts are an effective way to enter a city's combat culture. I'm sure everyone advertises their city as open to combat eager newbies, but I find this personally true only to an extent. It's very easy to tell when there's someone who is just alting or switching cities just to try out factional classes (I saw this a lot in Eleusis, like Xinna too many to name). I don't mind them joining, but I didn't care that they were gone either - combat alts are all the same in the end, and there is so many of them (no you're not as good as you think you are). The really fun raiding experiences come when you've developed a core group of friends who are constantly willing to pvp and do crazy shit with you. Hard to do that on a throwaway alt.

Of course, everyone loves a new person joining their core raiding group, no matter how elitist they may act A-team. But it is not as simple as just starting up a new character and joining in on all the pvp fun. Getting into the core elite group of a city requires putting some hard work into making yourself indispensable - and most importantly, actually being fun to play with. 

tl;dr Status in city raiding group directly correlated with your number of earrings.

You quoted what I said about RP then spoke entirely about PK. I gave a rundown about how I feel about PK. Said alts to see the RP culture and atmosphere. You could argue the same applies, mind you. An alt isn't a perfect measure of the complete RP experience. But you seem to be misinterpreting what I said, since I did not say make an alt to PK (unless you put a lot of time and money into each alt, that is not even possible).

• A lot of wonderful replies! Thank you !

I think I found a city where I want to be at the moment. The first impression is really good and really requires me to RP to get things done.

Reading all these brief explanations of PK behaviour of the cities combined to the IDEA of RP behaviour is really helping + Achaea's website provides some information about the cities. All these hopefully helps other newcomers to choose a place where to start from.
  • edited December 2017
    Farrah said:
    Iakimen said:
    Farrah said:

You quoted what I said about RP then spoke entirely about PK. 

I quoted what you said about alts and spoke entirely about alts in PK. I was just building off your mention of alting. Don't really care about what you said about RP - just wanted to mention my view about alting for PK. 

And people make alts for PK all the time with with minimum character investment. It is true that someone legitimately new to the block wouldn't be able to do that, though.
  • We might have a different definition of "minimal." I'm talking about the time or money it takes to get even tritrans being fairly significant for a throwaway alt, depending on who you are. People do it, but a lot of people don't! It's not something I would expect someone who is just starting to want to do, hence not recommending it for trying out pk environments.

And I misunderstood you! Sorry. :(
  • suffering and oppression havent been a part of mhaldorian discourse for like a rl year now, smh
  • I'm enjoying Mhaldor, it's a bit quiet when you first join in but I'm starting to make more personal connections with the citizenry. I think that's key to joining anywhere, unless you make connections on a personal level it won't be a good home for you. Good luck!
  • Lanre has it correct.  Those who stay to themselves and don't engage with others are never long for Achaea
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • How it feels to be Mhaldorian: