Artisanals and Bardics

AthelasAthelas Cape Town South Africa

Anyone know if the monthly competitions still take place?

I've been submitting stuff, but haven't seen any activity on it.

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo

Its every three months now, entries closing on the last day of this month for the judging process (Or something like that.)

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• AthelasAthelas Cape Town South Africa

Thanks!

..., it's the end of July and I'm wondering how long the judging process takes. Seeing as entries closed at the end of June.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!

remember that scene from Dragon Ball Z when the Ginyu squad was playing Rock Paper Scissors over who got to fight first?

They're having to do that over the places, since everything is just that AWESOME.

Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

Well, that makes sense, even though I've only ever heard of Dragon Ball Z, never got to watch it.

• Bump!

I see this topic is a few years old now. Do these competitions still take place? I played quite a while ago, and recently got the urge to come back and am wondering if there are still competitions for writing and art. Apologies if this has been discussed multiple times. 

• Short answer : no.

Long answer : Yes, but at the whims of the admin. Since instating this new rule over a year ago they have never felt the whim to do so.
  • Okay thank you for the reply! 

Perhaps we could start some sort of petition or something to bring them back?  =)=)=)=)=)

edited November 2017
    Nicola recently mentioned one of the reasons it was cancelled is because they werent fulfilling their purpose, which was to use it as a mean for players to submit new lore. Which I can see, in some ways. I think most people were more concerned with keeping with established lore than coming up with new stuff that might get their story rejected. 

Still, the fact that such was never mentioned anywhere on the scrolls leaves me a bit bitter about it.

• Ahhh okay. I never actually realized that was the purpose. That's interesting, and good to know. I was just hoping for the chance to get back into writing and maybe earn a few credits :P Oh well, there are other ways! Thanks for the comment. 

Oh, I am all for them coming back too. I miss them, and they were a fair way to get credit for people who could not otherwise buy a lot of them

• Same goes with player creativity in general. There's nothing more disheartening/embarassing than being told to work IC on developing lore, and then that lore being shot down. It makes perfect sense, quality-wise, that admins be the sole arbiters of official lore: it's a business, it's their universe, etc.

But that pushes the players in a kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't position.

• Shirszae said:
    Nicola recently mentioned one of the reasons it was cancelled is because they werent fulfilling their purpose, which was to use it as a mean for players to submit new lore. Which I can see, in some ways. I think most people were more concerned with keeping with established lore than coming up with new stuff that might get their story rejected. 

Still, the fact that such was never mentioned anywhere on the scrolls leaves me a bit bitter about it.
    Never knew :/.

Frankly that story of Eros' disappearance being at the hands of Lorielan and a catalyst to her release...was amazing.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Nicola says, "Originally they were designed to help supply content for Achaea."
    Nicola says, "Artwork for races and events, lore expansions and the like."
    To me, that does not sound like the primary intent was to create new lore.

To me, that sounds like the intent was so players had a way to add visual embellishments and more in-depth storytelling to existing lore, instead of all that being 100% admin-generated.
    edited November 2017
    Krypton said:
    Nicola says, "Originally they were designed to help supply content for Achaea."
    Nicola says, "Artwork for races and events, lore expansions and the like."
    To me, that does not sound like the primary intent was to create new lore.

To me, that sounds like the intent was so players had a way to add visual embellishments and more in-depth storytelling to existing lore, instead of all that being 100% admin-generated.
    Maybe its just me, but that still amounts to the same thing, 'expanding the lore.' The end result is the same too, they were unhappy with the way players went about it, apparently. 

In any case, thats what I took from the comment.

• When they first came out it was to get stuff for the website, cause it was like 3 pages and the credits page was actually a list of staff. Back then before web2.0 it was important to have a fleshed out website and content from players made that possible.