If you could delete one skill, what would it be?

edited November 2017 in North of Thera
Inspired by a few recent discussions. Options are my personal peeves that I know are shared by various others. Keep it to skills, not artefacts.
     He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

Comments

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Where's ret?
  • Retardation.

It's a zero-cost one-button ability that's boring in 1v1 and which turns group fights into ugly zero-skill clusterfucks. 
  • Nazihk said:
    Retardation.

It's a zero-cost one-button ability that's boring in 1v1 and which turns group fights into ugly zero-skill clusterfucks. 
    Disagree with the bolded. Takes skill to continue to fight in retardation, imo.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • I think I'd get rid of the no-prep-required health-based instant kills! 

But if we're talking about reworks, not just straight up axing them out of the game, I'd like tzantza, petrify, and enlighten to have tougher reqs. 
  • Can't believe I forgot ret :(

• edited November 2017
    xaden ruins things yet again :angry:
  • One 'skill'?

Puppetry....Give jesters something unique

One 'ability'?

Out of the ones I loathe....Radiance...I utterly detest the concept of this ability...
  • Radiance. Totally risk free one button kill opportunity. Zero skill, zero risk, maximum annoyance. 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Nazihk said:
    Retardation.

I literally just rewrote parts of my system last week to (hopefully) handle retardation better, so I'd sort of hate for all of that effort to be wasted.

Honestly, I'd rather get rid of Aeon (both Tarot and Aeonics) than Retardation. Retardation is annoying but affects everybody equally. Aeon in group fights (especially when triggered on burst) is one of the most rage-inducing things left in the game though.
  • Daeir said:
    I'd be down for deleting radiance. Just gimme area wide mind crush back.
    I assume you're trolling here

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Fuck evade.
  • edited November 2017
    Not so much delete, but I'd prefer if stuff like gravehands/piety etc stopped firing off when the people who placed them were no longer in the room. Or, in the very least, not within like a 2-room radius of them.

If I had to choose something though, it'd probably be vitals-based instakills. Not just health ones, but mana ones too. I'd rather stuff like dictate/absolve/incinerate/etc have actual requirements beyond "lol they got hit for half their health/mana in a group, go kill them" - and I don't mean 'actual requirements' like being prone a la crescent kick, more like dismember requiring them be trussed and impaled. Brokenstar would probably be in the list too, even though BM isn't nearly as obnoxious. They already have the tools to be able to have 'fun' requirements for the kill, as opposed to just 'lel bleeding'
  • I would want to see forced commands disappear. Being able to force anyone to do any command at any time time for any reason, has always really bothered me. Dpepthswalker is now the most annoyingly offender.

• Gravehands.

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • I don't know how I did it but I ended up voting for two things that I wasn't super serious about, Piety and Grove Summon.

So I guess my stance is remove all of them? Yeah that. 
  • You broke it :(

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I hate things like gravehands/piety/distort, but I am not sure I'd actually want them deleted. Not a fan of ret either.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Right now distort or aeon would be my choice. I forgot to classlead distort having a counter like gravehands/piety do and it has been annoying me a lot.

• Aeon's balanced for 1v1 but absurdly powerful in groups.  I dislike that ret is an ability that so heavily favors those who spend the time to write an entire second combat+curing system.  If I had to pick, it'd be ret, but ideally both of them could be replaced.
  • I mean, that’s putting it a bit strong. I don’t have an entirely different curing system or offense. I have aliases that queue stuff, unless ret variable then I just send regular. I let SS handle my curing for me. IMO, isn’t that difficult to adjust to. If anything it cuts the power of automation pretty significantly, unless you took the time to script every single possible scenario in retardation, which is.....a lot.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • yea, coding for ret takes about 2 seconds.. just add one simple if statement to your attacks, bam. Then it jist becomes a matter of practicing in it and devising tactics that can be used to the greatest effect
  • Definitely Aeon. It's annoyingly easy in groups and it doesn't matter how good someone is once they get aeoned in a group fight, they're dead. 

I don't agree Ret takes a significant amount of skill, since the simple plans work best there, but I also don't think it's such a huge problem that it should be deleted. Maybe it should auto-muffle if the Magi leaves the room for longer than 5 seconds, though.
  • My ret 'system' is literally pause system, curing off, gut person aconite :D
     <3 
  • Grove Summon. It throws off my sense of direction hardcore, and usually leads to me getting mollywhopped by the casting group.

Sure, it can be countered by having your party follow you but only if everyone is quick to the draw.

I'd take Gravehands or Radiance any day.
  • If you think coding for ret is simple, I think you're vastly underestimating the difference a ret system makes vs no ret system.  With a ret system tracking your balances properly, you can eat herbs exactly when your herb balance comes up (giving you 1.5s herb balance when it's needed, instead of the 2.5s minimum the server-side has in ret), you can time your attacks to start exactly when your balance returns (shaving up to 1s off of your attack's effective balance time), and many other things.  Unless you're tracking all of your balances locally, there's room for measurable improvement here.  Not many people actually do this in ret right now, but that doesn't dismiss the fact that it CAN be done and there is pretty significant room available for improvement via timing.
  • edited November 2017
    You don’t need to do all that to destroy 95% of the game, because everyone has this weird hatred for it, and refuses to get better at it. It takes skill and effort to be able to maximize retardation, imo. It’s not that difficult to be functional in retardation, you just need to put some work in understanding mechanics and balance times on the user level. 

I find it odd though that you’re saying all of this can be achieved with local tracking etc, and its an issue, as if automated combat isn’t already a thing.

Retardation CAN be automated somewhat, but it requires immensely more information that automating normal combat, which is why I say it really kills automation more than anything. I used to hate it, then I spent time to learn to fight in it.

I’d still hate it if my entire Achaea PvP system was limited to 2-3 buttons that do 900 things, too. Feel like the people who dislike it the most, automate the most. Correlation is there.

Edit: I’m confused how you get a 1s shave off balance time. At most you could replicate the queueing system outside of retardation. We’re already able to send something the millisecond we get balance.