The biggest release in Achaea's history will be happening

Comments

• edited October 2017
    I don't see why it has to be an area just because they've said it's big. Mechanical changes - including new systems - can also be big, and are definitely quantifiable in a number of different ways.

But if we're doing rampant (yet ultimately vague) speculation based on very limited information...

Ictinus said "It will have a broad appeal to absolutely everyone, regardless of level or character investment." Given the vast differences in levels and character investment, but also in playstyle interests (primary focus on combat vs roleplay vs hunting), I think it may actually be more than one kind of thing. Likely a new area - or areas, possibly a new (though not necessarily huge) continent - but also new systems to go along with it.

Broad appeal regardless of level or investment suggests availability, so probably not on Meropis, unless they're refunding pebbles and providing more immediate access to it. Either a new continent (or plane) that's not accessed via Seafaring or an extension of Sapience.

In terms of new systems, almost certainly not a war system, but likely conflict related. New ways and motivations for combatants to initiate and participate in PK, but also with non-PK ways for non-combatants to participate and contribute in a meaningful capacity.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    It's the bar-bill from the last Gods' meet.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Gotta buy more cr to keep them in the drink-style they're accustomed to.
  • Mix-and-match class skills. You'll be able to pick three skillsets out of all your multiclassed/transed classes to utilise at the one time.
  • Tahquil said:
    Mix-and-match class skills. You'll be able to pick three skillsets out of all your multiclassed/transed classes to utilise at the one time.
    Hahaha..  "You know how for the last 20 years we've fretted about with 'combat balance' as a primary concern?  We've decided it would just be easier on us if we said 'f it' so.. YOU WANTED IT, YOU GOT IT! NO COMPLAINTS"

• It's announced that Achaea is merging with a 3D MMORPG dubbed Pandemonium. Seeing through the obvious Panda puns players start dusting off their World of Warcraft characters in anticipation of the coming event.

In surprise twist the Administration announces that Achaea is merging with Eve Online. Clusterfuck Alliance glasses Sapience. Estach is ejected during the bombardment and becomes new top-tier mining destination. Somehow Hashan survives but no one seems to notice.
  • We find Therophage.
  • Greys said:
    We find Therophage.
    They confirmed it wasn't that.
  • we're going to find out that Imperian is just a continent to the east of Sapience.

I'm coming for you Antioch!
     <3 
  • Keorin said:
    Greys said:
    We find Therophage.
    They confirmed it wasn't that.
    No of course not.  We discover that, in fact, Therophage has been within us this whole time!
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    I'm skeptical about it being involved with Starmourn because I asked them a question at the Q&A about whether or not beta testing was still on track to be this year and they said they didn't know, it was a Tecton thing and is a better question to ask "the Starmourn people."
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Greys said:
    We find Therophage.
    Not without Vastar you don’t!
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Antonius said:
    I don't see why it has to be an area just because they've said it's big. Mechanical changes - including new systems - can also be big, and are definitely quantifiable in a number of different ways.

But if we're doing rampant (yet ultimately vague) speculation based on very limited information...

Ictinus said "It will have a broad appeal to absolutely everyone, regardless of level or character investment." Given the vast differences in levels and character investment, but also in playstyle interests (primary focus on combat vs roleplay vs hunting), I think it may actually be more than one kind of thing. Likely a new area - or areas, possibly a new (though not necessarily huge) continent - but also new systems to go along with it.

Broad appeal regardless of level or investment suggests availability, so probably not on Meropis, unless they're refunding pebbles and providing more immediate access to it. Either a new continent (or plane) that's not accessed via Seafaring or an extension of Sapience.

In terms of new systems, almost certainly not a war system, but likely conflict related. New ways and motivations for combatants to initiate and participate in PK, but also with non-PK ways for non-combatants to participate and contribute in a meaningful capacity.

It doesn't have to be, agreed.  Consider the other metrics for bigness though. 

• Story: Unless they are blowing up the whole world and starting again, nothing is going to be a narratively bigger deal than Black Wave II.  Oh!  Oh!  Unless, there's a new Triumvirate making a bid to replace Sarapis as uber-God.  Lorielan frees Khalas, things get awesome from there.  Crap, now I want this to happen.  Anyway, it isn't this.  Although I swear if they turn Lorielan full-bad and try and make Her take over everything, I'm logging in 24 hours a day.
    • Mechanics: The "bigness" of mechanics isn't really of interest to players, and I don't think you would sell a release that way.  Is multi-class bigger than auto-class?  A new war system? Pfft.  Reading between the lines from what the various coders have said over the years, I suspect that fixing the weather system would be the "biggest" mechanical change.  Actually, that would be awesome.  @Nicola puts on Upcoming, "BIGGEST RELEASE EVER" NOW, and then @Makarios starts a light drizzle, "You're welcome!"

By far the most likely thing is a ginormous new area.  Totally agree it'll come with a boat-load of other stuff though - new war system mebbe.  Other fun stuff, classes, races, etc.

Exciting.  Seriously though, @Lorielan should make a bid for Garden Empress.  The path is open now that Big Daddy Papapis has gone to the great flame in the sky.  What's stopping you?  DIVINE WARFARE.  GO!

• You cite Black Wave II as bigger narratively... compared to Bal'met? Black Wave was minor. Bal'met ate half the gods.
  • He comes back for seconds?
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

• Farrah said:
    You cite Black Wave II as bigger narratively... compared to Bal'met? Black Wave was minor. Bal'met ate half the gods.

That's kinda my point though.  Fairly impossible to compare them.  Bathmat had bigger consequences, but Black Wave II draws on pretty much all of the most important lore strands in the game.  People have been waiting for it, thinking about it, wondering what it would look like pretty much since launch so fairly huge in that way.  Either way, narratively, it would be very hard to be sure that you were going "bigger" unless you reset the whole game.
  • @Makarios is going to start his own order.
  • Complete revamping of the commodity system! That would be a huge thing
  • Biggest release in Achaea, will have an effect on everyone regardless of investment... are they finally limiting the minipet swarms?
  • edited October 2017
    You are all wrong.  

Xenomorph will now be CEO of IRE.  (or Caspian / Demeter are coming back :D )

• Sarapis finally hits the big red reset button!!!
  • The pedophile will never return 
  • Another whole new avenue of RP called "diseases". This will simulate irl diseases like transmittable stds(like AIDS) and cancer and an opt in insurance system, Makaricare, where 30% of your gold is taxed to join, otherwise you have to pay $70 a month to IRE keep your character alive after x amount of time if you contract the dangerous ones (or perma-death) and $250 to get cured completely.

Two new professions : legit doctor and naturopath, 2000 credits to get a license for the former, 50 credits to get a license for the latter. Can level up based on how many people you cure, naturopath has a 1% success rate and a 5% chance to make the disease worse.

Example
    Cancer = (limbs = -2 str) , (head = -2 int), (lungs = incurable asthma)
    AIDS = +1.5 seconds herb balance, -30% sip penalty
    etc
    LOL.  You've been reading Matt's FB feed about things he considered for Starmourn

• Caelan said:
    Another whole new avenue of RP called "diseases". This will simulate irl diseases like transmittable stds(like AIDS) and cancer and an opt in insurance system, Makaricare, where 30% of your gold is taxed to join, otherwise you have to pay $70 a month to IRE keep your character alive after x amount of time if you contract the dangerous ones (or perma-death) and $250 to get cured completely.

Two new professions : legit doctor and naturopath, 2000 credits to get a license for the former, 50 credits to get a license for the latter. Can level up based on how many people you cure, naturopath has a 1% success rate and a 5% chance to make the disease worse.

Example
    Cancer = (limbs = -2 str) , (head = -2 int), (lungs = incurable asthma)
    AIDS = +1.5 seconds herb balance, -30% sip penalty
    etc
    LOL.  You've been reading Matt's FB feed about things he considered for Starmourn
    Honestly, nope. I had no idea he was thinking of implementing things like HIV or transmissible spongiform encephalopathies. Just when I thought Starmourn was going to be a disappointment.. maybe it's worth a shot.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Skye said:
    In all honesty, it's probably the re-opening of the ruins of Seleucar, which as a city, probably promises to be massive. Complete with a giant underground Tomb of Kings dungeon that's just crawling with mongsters. There are also the other fortresses apart from Sirocco, like Aster and Thornwall. Maybe we'll rediscover Durandian Steel which is workable only by Legendary Blacksmiths and all those people who paid hundreds and thousands of gold getting there will finally have something to show off about it. >_>
    Lol. If it was only hundreds and thousands of gold there would be far more Legendary Blacksmiths.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    well you know what I mean. >_>