Cities

Comments

• @Kogan

That's fair, but hard to gauge that would be the case in that moment. I assumed attacking her would result in either everyone gathered jumping in (at least those not 18 and knew what was happening) OR I would get enemied while on the guard stack and died then and there.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • I feel it's weird to say you can talk to anyone as a Cyrenian when Cyrenians are the only ones that I know are outright banned from talking to enemies. Everyone else is super lax about that.
  • HataruHataru Midwest USA
    edited October 2017
    Kogan said:
    Dochitha said:
    We definitely cannot let a single voice determine who Cyrene is. For those who have interacted with Cyrene, both as an enemy or not, in any form of interactions, knows Cyrene adds a pretty bewildering feel to the game. I love Cyrene because:
    • I could peace and talk with anyone from any city, not risking nose getting cut off
    • I could hunt any time and mostly not called to attend shits, lots of freedom.
    Glad you're touching all the important parts. Also. I've been missing out on these monthly group shits. I thought people complaining about Targ prayers was bad. Am I in trouble for missing said shits?
    Did someone say noses?

Edit cause I didn't see Zack's response: yeah the only time I've maimed someone in Mhaldor without OOC agreement that was really explicit beforehand was a novice who came back 3 times on 2 characters and licked/cuddled/etc. people at Stygian and refused to leave and wasn't responding to being enemied.

That was literally the only time. I don't think I've participated in player-on-player action like that in Mhaldor that has EVER been non-consentual, personally at least.
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Melodie says, "Get rekt scrubbbbb."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): You say, "Scrubbbssss."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Trey says, "Austere was hangin' out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, apparently."
  • Atalkez said:
    Mostly relevant to the discussion re: Cyrene attitudes

https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/7vJiZQPa

@Atalkez, I think you handled it <insert fcking awesome word>! @Lylith too for living with the rules in Cyrene. That's a lot of respect both of you showed in the log, I salute you both!
  • I don't see how delete Cyrene would resolve these issues you bring up, though, unless you think that all of sudden a large proportion of those players who probably all came to Cyrene from other places in the first place will go and join your other orgs and suddenly start caring about PK again, or if they'll just turn every org into what Eleusis is becoming, OR if they'll just quit and shrink our income further (Cyrenians still buy credits).
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Kiet said:
    I feel it's weird to say you can talk to anyone as a Cyrenian when Cyrenians are the only ones that I know are outright banned from talking to enemies. Everyone else is super lax about that.
    Cyrenians are not banned from talking to enemies. That is not what "no fraternising" means. Either they misunderstand that talking to enemies (with no intention to be friends) is ok, or they already aren't interested in talking to enemies anyway.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Krypton said:
    Kiet said:
    I feel it's weird to say you can talk to anyone as a Cyrenian when Cyrenians are the only ones that I know are outright banned from talking to enemies. Everyone else is super lax about that.
    Cyrenians are not banned from talking to enemies. That is not what "no fraternising" means. Either they misunderstand that talking to enemies (with no intention to be friends) is ok, or they already aren't interested in talking to enemies anyway.
    The bolded is what was explained to me as not okay when I inquired on how precisely the law works. It was from leadership, as I recall, too. I don't remember a name but every time I've brought it up in any context with Cyrenians, the very literal interpretation is what seems to be understood as the rule.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • edited October 2017
    Krypton said:
    Kiet said:

It's open to interpretation, I'm sure, but Cyrene is the only city where people actually seem to actively worry about fraternization laws anymore (barring a few exceptions here and there, obv). Everywhere else just has a 'just don't go overboard' policy from what I've seen.
  • Reyson said:
    To be honest, that'd be cool! To have the IC equivalent of Downton-Abbey-ers (first season, since they grow up and stuff as it goes on) looking down on the brutes who go out to cause trouble or something. That'd be something to work with!

I don't know if you remember, but a couple months back, when I was trying out monk, Telendrieth and Reyson went back and forth trying to radiance each other and reached a gentleman's agreement to just mess with other people because radiance is dumb when you can walk out? That's the neat little kind of thing I'm talking about. It made a fight more than just a simple ol' raid (I laughed at the time, was cool).  
    I do remember that exchange, it was pretty damn fun. I actually like when there are smaller skirmishes and the like, as it tends to get people more involved and generally interested in combat. Around that time was when Mhaldor would come in with smaller groups and it'd usually end up going either one way or the other, was always pretty fun though. Some of the things I rather liked were the comments at the end. Someone shouted something to the extent of "Good show" which helped a lot of the non-coms feel like it was a bit more lighthearted. Heck, we even got two total non-coms working on knighthood and practicing combat in general from those skirmishes alone, which is something I'm immensely proud of them for doing.

One thing a lot of Cyrenians don't handle well is large scale one-sided engagements. The whole time when Blu was killed left a lot of people pissed just because they felt entirely helpless, which is an experience many struggle to handle. I myself had a particularly awful weekend at work during it, with a 27 patient load solo and losing one I was very close with to something traumatic. It has been the only time I had to excuse myself from the game because none of you guys needed to be on the receiving end of all of that.
    What I get is mostly pure OOC shut-down. And when you refuse to engage at -all-, and only basically resort to OOC tells, you kill even that kind of little moment in the crib. Which is what makes me sad about Cyrene (tbf, people in other Cities do it, as well, it's not an exclusively Cyrenian thing. But Cyrene does it more consistently and in more wide-spread fashion than any other faction from what I've seen). 
    That honestly makes me pretty depressed to hear, doubly so because there isn't exactly an easy solution to it. You can have some pretty great experiences even in some of the rough parts of the game. I remember having an excellent dialogue between an Eleusian when I decided to try out a hostile takeover of someone's mine, and by the end of it we both had a good time. Immediately jumping to ooc crying or shutdown robs both players of any potential that the encounter could have. That all being said, most of the attempts to change that mindset are often counter productive or too extreme. I mean, we're trying to coax people into RP interactions who are simultaneously being called shit-stains of the game just one post above. Even ignoring the rest of the world though, internally we've had many folks trying to make the city more conflict friendly. I wholeheartedly support the notion, and we have made steps towards it (year 750 games -cough- -cough-), but often the people we've had pushing for it want 100% with no compromise, and take it personal if it doesn't happen. I honestly think what would help most with Cyrene, is having the right enemy. I've seen a lot of character growth and ignited desire happen from various conflicts, but I've also seen it given up just as fast, especially when players are dipping their toes in the kiddy pool and find themselves overwhelmed in the deep end a few days later.

Cyrene also had this crippling period during its history where it became stupidly unfun and some folks became Mean Girls level of snobby. It started happening before I went dormant to survive nursing school, and I noticed some portions of it pretty starkly when I was finally done and able to play again (I think I came back just around the time V was taking Imperiate). There were some pretty awful cliques, and pretty harsh attitudes towards even things like small jokes on CT. The city has grown from that point and is doing quite a bit better, and I do hope it continues to grow and take a larger role in the community as a whole. I'm just a single citizen though, so while I'm entirely open to ideas and ways to make it better.. change is going to take time and figuring out how to make players understand that you can have fun in almost every encounter, even with the filthy lowlanders.

I talk way to effing much. 
  • edited October 2017
    I'm not really sure where the argument is even stemming from. People from other factions are telling their personal experience with Cyrene, and I really don't think any of us woke up thinking, 'Hmm, I'm gonna go and mess with Cyrenians on the forums today, what should I make up to piss 'em off with?' 

It is what it is. If you don't feel it needs to change, that's totally fine. No one is (or should be!) allowed to tell you how to play a game. But they're definitely allowed to have an opinion about the choices you make, and I think a lot of non-Cyrenians feel Cyrenians tend to be unreasonably (certainly unconscionably) self-excluding from anything that isn't Cyrene-themed. 

I'm not a doom-and-gloom type like Daeir; the vitality of the playerbase that's moving and shaking seems fine to me, and I don't predict any kind of death for Achaea anytime soon. But it is a bummer to have a very big portion of CWHO at any given point so completely dedicated to avoiding things they might not choose as a first preference, that they'll skip straight to OOC to ignore/avoid those people who're playing other storylines or advancing other agendas. Non-engagement literally leaves nothing to work with, and that's a shame. Being so unwilling to even partake means that A) the people who do not partake miss out on anything not actively catered to them, and B) the people trying to get things moving have less people to draw in, not on the merits of their ideas and efforts, but just because they're enemied or somesuch. That's lose-lose if I ever saw it. 

Cyrene has some cool people. Keorin, Shirszae, Dochitha, Kogan, they're all pretty neat. It'd be cool to have an opportunity to interact some more with new people even in an antagonist dynamic. 

ETA: I don't defend anything Aegoth says on principle! Just gloss over that bit, he likes to be rude. 
  • AeryllinAeryllin Michigan, USA
    Daeir said:
     No leader should have a tenure that spans literal IRL years, no matter how good they are.
    I mean, honestly, why not?  If the people are happy and things are running smoothly - and by and large they are, else people wouldn't stay in the numbers they do - why not?  If it is not broken, why try to fix it?  You're more likely to make things worse than better.

• Daeir said:

• Targossas sees you as heathen filth who willingly rejected Devotion.
    I've spent the better part of an RL year as an active Targossan and you are literally the only Targossan I have ever heard say this.
  • We just need to shop sometimes :(
     <3 
  • AeryllinAeryllin Michigan, USA
    Kiet said:
    Krypton said:
    Kiet said:

It's open to interpretation, I'm sure, but Cyrene is the only city where people actually seem to actively worry about fraternization laws anymore (barring a few exceptions here and there, obv). Everywhere else just has a 'just don't go overboard' policy from what I've seen.
      The idea here is that people shouldn't be getting warm and fuzzy with people who are actively electing to bring harm to our city and her people.  No one is going to slap you around if you have a few passing words, or even encountering them in a large event like a family reunion or what have you, but it was decided that it really just isn't appropriate for someone to get overly friendly with ACTIVE city enemies - as a loyal citizen of a city, you shouldn't WANT to be hanging out and having happyfuntime with the guy that was just over murdering your citymates or robbing them blind or what have you.  Its a rule against in-depth and more intimate relations, not just in passing or incidentals.

:joy: Then Targossas should take a note from what America loves to do, and infiltrate Cyrene, depose its antagonistic leaders, and install a new Devotion-friendly regime.

• @Aeryllin I dunno what to tell you. No other city has that attitude.
  • Also, none of this likely matters anyway. I think V is off playing shadow of war, so we're all going to be mind controlled conscripts of war in a few weeks. Better start brushing up on the cockney accent everyone. 
  • edited October 2017
    I just want to be a dragon.

I joined Cyrene because:
    • I didn't want to join a House if I didn't feel like it.
    • I didn't want to have to defend the City if I didn't feel like it.
    I just want to be a dragon.

I had originally quit Achaea, again (for like.. the 30th time), because if you can't establish some sort of friendship, and all you do is bash, you get bored. I was fortunate enough to have a friend I met in another IRE MUD invite me to her ooc 'circle', so to speak, and other friends who play Achaea befriend my char (as organically as possible.) As well as new friends I made as a result!

I recognize that the responsibility is on the player to seek out the interaction they are looking for. I suck at that part, admittedly, and resort to bashing as a way to fill the time (which ends up taking me out of situations where I am likely to interact with others).

That said, and I am confident that this'd be the case no matter which city I chose, the way I RP Voli is likely to leave me in the same situation no matter which city I chose. Quietly idling in public hangouts being overlooked due to her quiet nature, with random comments tossed in because yes, I am often paying attention, or bashing on my own avoiding responsibilities like House stuff and City obligations.

Also, not having some sort of 'higher power' like Oblivion, Good, Nature, Darkness, Evil, w/e lets me not have to worry about RPing in an abrasive manner to the environment.

tl;dr I want to be Dragon. Cyrene convenient. (Wanted to participate. Likes feeling included)

• For the record, Cyrene does have some very cool people, as I mentioned!

The last time I really tried to do anything as a kind of enemy-that-goads-you-into-doing-better thing, the person I had interacted with (I broke in just to speak with that person and see if something could come of it) ended up getting yelled at pretty massively (and demoted, I think?) for not just crying for help right away or something. That was sad to hear. It was a good conversation, and a really great moment, but I've kinda stayed away cuz I don't wanna get the cool people in trouble with my cooties or whatever it is Cyrenians are afraid of where Mhaldorians are concerned. 
    edited October 2017
    Off the top of my head, I do not recall a single CDF, let alone demotion, in the 10 years you've been enemied.

Lmao. Cooties or no cooties, that situation you're referring to, was indisputably an Act of Treason/Insubordination, if we really wanted to be hardasses about the rules.
  • Daeir said:
    It's less opposing people for not practicing Devotion and suddenly, violently having people who formerly practiced the art, learning the values and ethos associated with it stand up and go "no thanks, we're good. also we don't want anything to do with you anymore and we're going to stop letting your people preach in our streets". That kind of severance, in the wake of Cyrene's historical quasi-alliance with the faith surrounding Good, is nothing but jarring and provocative as far as the cities two relations go.

Cyrene may not impede from a military perspective, but it certainly does from a social one, at least as far as Targossas is concerned. Terse tolerance is acceptable, but anything beyond that makes absolutely no sense. They're an enemy as much as every other citystate is.
    Except we did allow a discussion last time, and would allow another if asked I do believe. It was in Cyrene actually. Until a real enemy of Targossas decided to breathrain the event and it got moved. We at least offer funding to those who do wish to remain Cyrenian and do change class. Could just nope out on them and tell them sucks to suck and send people who want to stay Cyrenian bad enough to drop a class over it straight to Targossas/Rogue because they can't afford the swap.
  • HataruHataru Midwest USA
    Daeir's argument makes me feel like we're in 2013, not 2017. Re: Targossas and Cyrene.

It seems, frankly, dated. Given that a lot of the separation of Good and Good!Lite (Targ/Shallam and Cyrene) was Divinely forced as well as, well, pretty much old news at this point...
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Melodie says, "Get rekt scrubbbbb."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): You say, "Scrubbbssss."
    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Trey says, "Austere was hangin' out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, apparently."
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    edited October 2017
    Daeir said:
    It's less opposing people for not practicing Devotion and suddenly, violently having people who formerly practiced the art, learning the values and ethos associated with it stand up and go "no thanks, we're good. also we don't want anything to do with you anymore and we're going to stop letting your people preach in our streets". That kind of severance, in the wake of Cyrene's historical quasi-alliance with the faith surrounding Good, is nothing but jarring and provocative as far as the cities two relations go.

Cyrene may not impede from a military perspective, but it certainly does from a social one, at least as far as Targossas is concerned. Terse tolerance is acceptable, but anything beyond that makes absolutely no sense. They're an enemy as much as every other citystate is.
    I for one believed that Cyrene deciding to give up Devotion was a great move and I think it has to do with perspective. I started Cyrenian and this 'historical quasi-alliance' was frankly a one-way relationship in which Cyrene let an outside party into their walls and gave them cause to meddle with the internal goings-on of the city. It is not the same as an alliance. Since the Church (or Targ/Deacon/Devo Eclaire) pretty much called the shots as to whether a person could continue using Devo or not, the city becomes compelled to make policy decisions that ensured that their devo using citizens were not as risk of losing it.

To me, it has less to do with being secluded from the world and more to do with no longer allowing a third party to impede the city's decision making. And there was really no good way to do it. Like being in a bad and somewhat abusive relationship, it's sometimes best to just make a clean break. Incidentally, the abuser or the party with all the power in that relationship will seldom recognise that it's bad. Everything is going swimmingly (for them) since it's their way or the highway. They're usually shocked when someone decides to choose the highway. 

• @Krypton: I'm really not looking to do anything except highlight why it is that I (and apparently a whole lot of other people) see Cyrene the way I do. I'm not even pushing for a change in the laws/gameplay/attitude, simply illustrating that I'm a bit flabbergasted at why Cyrenian players are suddenly super surprised that the faction has the rep it does, when it seems like it's a very carefully constructed and patently deliberate identity they've chosen to embrace via every avenue available. From player attitude to IC behaviour, to laws and what you choose to enforce/not enforce, I can't conceive of any conclusion I could come to other than 'Cyrene doesn't want to play with you if you've ever caused trouble,' based on what I've personally witnessed from that faction. 

I definitely don't mean to cut out the role of the individual, for the record. Like I said, I've had some neat moments with a couple Cyrenians, and some really great fights with others. But four people out of what, over fifty, sixty active players does not an identity constitute. They're very much the exception, rather than the norm. 
  • This argument feels familiar.... Cyrene is an enemy to Good if they reject Targ's way, they are not allies they aren't forever going to be neutral but they aren't the biggest threat. both in a military way and in that actively opposing your IG faith and being neutral (not opposing or agreeing) are not equal threat levels.

My viewpoint... maybe its more of a Mhaldorian viewpoint though /shrug.
  • @Kogan the discussion was great and once I actually have time again I'm gonna try and do another one. It was really great until someone breathrained it :(

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • edited October 2017
    The way it was explained to me is that Cyrene is bad because yknow, not Good, but since they aren't actively opposing Targossas, instead just kinda sitting there with a lot of people, we don't really treat them as a threat, just kinda the place we tolerate for now

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates