Hello, I guess I'm staying this time

Hey all, I'm moderately new around here. Achaea is the first (and only) text game I've played.

I first started playing this game a couple of years ago, on another character, and I was ecstatic at the level of player interaction and the depth of Achaea. However, I was turned off by the learning curve, my stalling progression, and the super expensive credits. I rejoined pretty recently (three or four months ago?) and bought the no-brainer lesson packages. Again, though, my progression stalled and I felt that I needed to spend too much money to keep going up. Again, I quit.

I rejoined again about a week and a half ago, during the sale, thinking I'd give it another chance. Man, am I glad I did. Achaea scratched some itch I didn't know I had, and I realized I really enjoy it. So, I bought a credit package. We'll see how it goes, but for now I know I'm staying!

I don't know why I felt that I needed to share this, but I thought the whole process of vacillation to and from Achaea was pretty fascinating.

P.S. I feel like I'm really squishy, both against monsters and players. I've got 800 credits. Any recommendations for a monk with 15 strength and 14 con?

Comments

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Alecks said:
    Hey all, I'm moderately new around here. Achaea is the first (and only) text game I've played.

I first started playing this game a couple of years ago, on another character, and I was ecstatic at the level of player interaction and the depth of Achaea. However, I was turned off by the learning curve, my stalling progression, and the super expensive credits. I rejoined pretty recently (three or four months ago?) and bought the no-brainer lesson packages. Again, though, my progression stalled and I felt that I needed to spend too much money to keep going up. Again, I quit.

I rejoined again about a week and a half ago, during the sale, thinking I'd give it another chance. Man, am I glad I did. Achaea scratched some itch I didn't know I had, and I realized I really enjoy it. So, I bought a credit package. We'll see how it goes, but for now I know I'm staying!

I don't know why I felt that I needed to share this, but I thought the whole process of vacillation to and from Achaea was pretty fascinating.

P.S. I feel like I'm really squishy, both against monsters and players. I've got 800 credits. Any recommendations for a monk with 15 strength and 14 con?
    Level 1 belt for extra con, level 1 crit pendant, assuming you've transed skills

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • If you haven't already, Trans Avoidance. It's a large reduction to cutting and blunt damage.
  • Make sure you're set up to be using transmute constantly, it's where a -huge- portion of monk's defense comes from
  • After spending roughly 25-30K on this game since 2001. Take that advice from Driden. Gain the knowledge of the classes, kill strats and curing. Buy defensive artefacts and then only the weapon offensive artefacts. This game is balanced around artefacts now. So they have lost some of their value.
  • Driden said:
    haha we have had the same experience believe it or not. I first found achaea when i was about 16. I like the concept but the curing system you had to purchase threw me through a loop. I was 16  with no job and no computer on my own. I used to go to the library when i was bored and just bash manara using the ire website client. So didnt put a lot of time in the game even though i wanted to. At 19 i finished basic training. we got held over an extra week before we were allowed to go to AIT. Our commander granted us a week pass where everyday we were allowed to go around the base and shop an such. There was a bowling alley that let you use computer and that when i spent money to buy credits. transed my monk skills and started my path. even then i didnt start playing super seriously until i was pretty much done with AIT. But looking at how far my character has come in terms of power and my own personal understanding of how combat works i dont blame you.

So let me give you some advice that i learned and realized over the years. Im 25 now and i still love the game.

You dont need a shiny artifact to start learning to fight in the game. If PK is your thing dont get into the habit of thinking you need to arty out to compete. you dont. My progression as a combatant was only slowed because instead of learning how to defeat or notice a setup that was happening and how to beat it i got into the habit of buying arties to try and outrace you to the kills path.  Force yourself to learn why things kill you and how you defeat them. Knowledge is the best artie in the game and its free. 

When you do get credits buy lessons to trans all your skills. there the best bang for your buck. Dont get the lvl3 sword get the lessons until when you do SKILLS everything says trans. 

Hell even when you do all of that and want arties stick to defensive arties like more health more mana. Sip rings for health and mana and stats boosts, Arty tattoos are highly recommended. Offensive arties only allow you to do what you know how to do a little faster. Its noticeably faster but wont help you become a better combatant in the long run.

Never ever blame a loss on arties you dont have. It took me a long time to learn that every single loss in the game is because i failed to take the correct action at the correct time.

Make friends. Make an effort to be involved and play with other people. Achaea shines the brightest when you log on and 4-5 people greet you as if you havent seen them in years. We can be a close knit community around here and thats awesome. 

Make bashing to dragon a priority. This one is fairly recent for me in terms of sinking in. Dragon is the arty that allows you to buy arties through in game means. Its a free class and it potent gold bashing. So no matter how much you might not find it interesting you have to bash. (still hate bashing though)

Most importantly have fun. Glad to have you around. good luck and reach out in game or on the forums if you need help. Also dont feed the @Makarios after midnight.  

Well said, especially with training. Maxing skills opens so many more combat options, where as artefacts then to just speed things up a bit.

With that said, bracelets are also a good choice if your Con is already decent as it gives you decent boost.
  • Echoing one of the things @Driden mentioned - chatter with your city-mates! @Calira, @Armali, and @Kasa like to teach, and they're all really familiar with fighting without many arties (Kasa isn't even a dragon).