Oct 2017 Promotion (Talisman Trouble)

Comments

• And that'll teach me to assume without checking, sorry about that. It appears only death dummies should trade in because of someone (naming no names) creating about 20 of them that one time. But yes, the general rule is complete, I'm going to look into if there's a reason why death don't trade in for anything if completed, I believe they should.

We'll probably add a small redeem amount to wonders talisman pieces too, as these came in before we started doing that as a default.

• edited October 2017
    Also completed items in your inventory need to be traded in with ARTEFACT <item> TRADEIN
    Or at least that's what I needed to do for the Death Dummy after Makarios helped me out.  Thanks again Mak!
  • I did get a Fluvian Jar & Lvl 1 lorestone, but the normal stocking was 450-475 cr (in canes) + an artie (which was generally worth anywhere between 50 to 500cr).  I guess expectations for "Double the reward" was just "You'll get the normal amount of candycanes".  It still would have been better if (in redeem, etc) if I had just pulled a Kenway and bought a shitton of smaller ones over the larger one, but I guess that was just my really bad luck on that roll.

Either way, I bought 10 randoms, came out a good bit ahead, and bowed out on this one.
  • Yes! Please do help look into conclave. Thanks!!!
  • The Death talisman sets definitely don't tradein. If they do, I have screwed myself on so much.

If the dummies tradein, I regret redeeming individual pieces. I probably had 100 of them.

I will say that the expectation of most people completing sets to trade in is a little bit out there. Those of us who really play the talisman game will still come out all right, but most people aren't going to be able to complete the sets beyond the base ones. Even I don't think I'm going to be able to complete some of the sets I'm looking to complete.

I do like the general idea, though - I've wanted to be able to purchase talismans for quite some time. I both regret and don't regret buying the pieces I did - I did misread the announce post at first, and I also underestimated how many wonders sets were available. The good news is that completing a few of the wonders things would be cool!

The things I am really after though I probably won't be able to complete, or they won't be worth it at the price people can sell them for (Grand Magi and Maya Figurine), which is fairly frustrating. I'm willing to pay about 1500 for Maya, and around 1800 for Grand Magi, but there are going to be desperate people out there who will pay much more than that for the few pieces out there.

• Oh, one more thing. I did tell you Seragorn that the price I paid for a few caches was too much! And then you decided to pay more. I don't feel too bad about that :D

• Yeah, I'm a big fan of the concept but by 3rd I was already feeling defeated. Conclave results have been so vocally miserable
  • Cooper said:
    Oh, one more thing. I did tell you Seragorn that the price I paid for a few caches was too much! And then you decided to pay more. I don't feel too bad about that :D

Yeah, as always I just wanted to get a few caches in so I had some data to base things off, I knew I was overpaying and was prepared to do that.  I'm also not complaining in the sense that I feel ripped off or anything (granted I do a little), I just dont think the numbers are right, and rather than sitting back and accepting its going to be a lean month for IRE, I'd rather ask the question and give them a chance to modify, especially given it seems to be a common response from everyone I've spoken to who has also bought caches.

@Makarios I actually didnt realise death dummies even had a tradein value, I was always under the impression that no death items had tradein value so I've also likely lost a lot of potential credits over the journey in burning those things.  My apologies if that has skewed my figures.  I had also assumed that the promo for the most part was based on the redeem value because with the exception of the low end items its not looking like people are completing many (if any) of the valuable ones.  @Leviticus may have missed out on an extra 200 odd credits from straight up redeeming over trading in, but it still wouldnt have made that into a 'good option' unless he spent the next few weeks trying to trade pieces to increase his value.

I'll also point out that I dont think any of the wonders items have tradein value, so completing them is not going to increase value, as with the items in historical (eg the million pet pieces will only have redeem value).  Overall if you expect to get tradein value then your also outlaying a significant amount of time and effort into trading in order to get your 40% return in this case.

Funnily enough Historical is likely the best actual return in this promo (comparable to the random), because despite not having tradein value, you have a minimum of 10 credits redeem value per piece, so at least you have a fixed return.  You then have the potential to profit off the few items people may buy (whisperstone, lily) if you get enough pieces.

The main doubt I have with the numbers is on the calculation or estimated spread of pieces your likely to get from your conclave (or any of the more varied sets).  I've opened enough caches to know that for every 50+ credit piece, your going to go thru at least 10 tophat or hourglass pieces..  If I get a chance today I'll grep out my entire history of conclave cache openings and give you some more accurate stats. The numbers I have here are based off 60, which isnt a big data set, but I've probably opened many many hundreds, if not thousands.
  • Seragorn said:
    I'll also point out that I dont think any of the wonders items have tradein value
    All but globes should trade in for 10 credits (my dragonskin pack does), since anything (as far as I know) valued in mayan crowns trades in for 10 credits.
  • Sena said:
    Seragorn said:
    I'll also point out that I dont think any of the wonders items have tradein value
    All but globes should trade in for 10 credits (my dragonskin pack does), since anything (as far as I know) valued in mayan crowns trades in for 10 credits.

Thats a value sure, but its not value.
  • edited October 2017
    Makarios said:

And that'll teach me to assume without checking, sorry about that. It appears only death dummies should trade in because of someone (naming no names) creating about 20 of them that one time. But yes, the general rule is complete, I'm going to look into if there's a reason why death don't trade in for anything if completed, I believe they should.

We'll probably add a small redeem amount to wonders talisman pieces too, as these came in before we started doing that as a default.

There any way we can look at why seafaring pieces and sets have no redeem value as well? Even a 10cr per Death style redeem with no set values would be better than nothing.

• Can someone please remind me what the Maya figurine and Grand Magi thingers do?
  • Devran said:
    Can someone please remind me what the Maya figurine and Grand Magi thingers do?

Grand magi is the level 2 magi robes, they give you 1/3 willpower cost as well as 1/3 mana cost.

The Maya figurine preserves unused crit damage beyond your current kill and hits your next target with it, so if you kill something with a WSC it will then hit your next target with the unused portion.  It has a timeout and such, I dont have one for the specifics, I think it only works on WSC and Planars as well, but someone else can confirm.

• I did partake in the promotion, just to gamble.  Sadly I would pay retail for a Maya Figurine, but the gamble and some of the stories here make me think that I just don't need to try and get it, or check market.

I do like that the chance to get some one offs are out there though.

• Seragorn said:
    Devran said:
    Can someone please remind me what the Maya figurine and Grand Magi thingers do?

Grand magi is the level 2 magi robes, they give you 1/3 willpower cost as well as 1/3 mana cost.

The Maya figurine preserves unused crit damage beyond your current kill and hits your next target with it, so if you kill something with a WSC it will then hit your next target with the unused portion.  It has a timeout and such, I dont have one for the specifics, I think it only works on WSC and Planars as well, but someone else can confirm.

Oh wow. I want those magi robes then.

• edited October 2017
    Trey said:
    Makarios said:

And that'll teach me to assume without checking, sorry about that. It appears only death dummies should trade in because of someone (naming no names) creating about 20 of them that one time. But yes, the general rule is complete, I'm going to look into if there's a reason why death don't trade in for anything if completed, I believe they should.

There any way we can look at why seafaring pieces and sets have no redeem value as well? Even a 10cr per Death style redeem with no set values would be better than nothing.
    Can we also look at if seafaring map talismans are fixed or just removed them from the set and refund the remaining pieces?
  • Tahquil said:
    Trey said:
    Makarios said:

Can we also look at if seafaring map talismans are fixed or just removed them from the set and refund the remaining pieces?
    That's pretty much where I was going with this, but there are other pieces that could do with having a tradein.

• Do talismans work outside of PvE? Is there a list somewhere of all talisman powers?
  • edited October 2017
    Alecks said:
    Do talismans work outside of PvE? Is there a list somewhere of all talisman powers?
    TALISMAN LIST should have a list of all sets. TALISMAN SET <set> will show you the talismans in that set. TALISMAN INFO <talisman> will show you the details of a specific talisman (though some are missing pretty crucial info).

Plenty of talismans work for PvP, including several that ONLY have uses for PvP. There are probably more PvP talismans than PvE ones.
  • If I'm looking for a Mark pieces is it worth buying some Talisman caches or just credits and search specially for the bits?

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • I will always prefer hunting for the pieces than gaming. But so many people are going after the same few things. 
  • bought 30 conclave pieces. All the regrets.
  • Morthif said:
    bought 30 conclave pieces. All the regrets.
    is that why you wanted to cancel? :p
  • cancel this purchase? Sure.
  • Morthif said:
    bought 30 conclave pieces. All the regrets.
    Did you get what you needed?

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Not at all. 
  • Do seafaring pieces drop from the random cache?
  • edited October 2017
    I don't know if anyone that has bought this month's promo and yell loving it. I know I loved the promos in the past, and got excited all over. This month is like dropping lily giving debuff... 22 days to go until Nov promo, still hopeful.