Reminisce

13»

Comments

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited September 2017
    Was definitely before Ruth, I joined not too long after she got Tyrannus. She liked to poison people with her food, not make it gross. I've not seen it as such a big thing as it used to be, though, with a couple of exceptions.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Ruth's reign actually started the cleaning up a bit from my recollection.
  • I never really understood why Mhaldor was so filthy. Gruesome, sure, but just because they are evil doesn't mean they want to eat in a tavern with a toilet in the middle of the room.

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • I was thinking off all the mutilation that was tied to 'suffering' and all that stuff would have never flied before her era. A toilet in a room, well maybe. A dead mhun hanging on a stick is a good one IMO. I know people who had their hand lopped off because of the weird ass crap the higher ups wanted to make happen after I left, it always made me cring.  
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Sobriquet said:
    I never really understood why Mhaldor was so filthy. Gruesome, sure, but just because they are evil doesn't mean they want to eat in a tavern with a toilet in the middle of the room.

It's a continued debate on whether to make an austere, clean evil or no. Well, debate among us on OOC channels, anyway. Lot of opinions on both sides.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Tiamat said:
    Trey said:
    Chubbs said:
    I miss Mhaldor's assorted testicles on a skewer. Those were my favourite. :(
    Those weren't a Mhaldor thing, they were a Katia thing. Thankfully now that times have changed Mhaldor has moved along a bit from the whole pigshit, blood and gross shit aesthetic, though not entirely.
    Mhaldor was not like that in the beginning, I think that was more a Ruth Era thing. Any old original Infernal would have been pissed about the whole dirty-bog-horror show that became Mhaldor for a minute or so.

Definitely pre-Ruth. Ruth, Jurixe and many others actively worked to get away from all that.

• edited September 2017
    I miss the mystery.

I know many may not understand this but back in the day, everything wasnt so open, clear-cut and found on some website. Players werent all just about one-track concepts of "Evil conquer the world", "Chaos consume the universe", "Light save... "etc etc. Dont get me wrong, the concepts were there, but they were more of a secondary aspect to them.

I miss going out of my way with my old friends here to try and discover secrets in the world. I recall when Tharvis would investigate a huge scenario over an ancient faith dedicated to Sarapis, and showing all these little tidbits of proof around the world showcasing how it once existed. I recall digging into several mysteries and ideas just for the fun of it, like "The truth of Hashan's origins (that was a fun one)" and you could go on with it. That just isnt around anymore. Everything is very clear cut.

I remember the idea of discovery and attempting to locate and discover places mentioned in Help files. I still remember the fun I had in trying to figure out how to get to Arcadia or other locations. People didnt use "GOTO" and "PATH FIND".

Lastly, I miss those Houses that meant something. That gave to Achaea those distinct flavors. I remember joining the Spiritwalkers originally just because they accepted Occultists, and having my mind blown by the depth of constructed Spiritual RP they had. Not only was it rituals, but they had developed an entire faith and secondary world around the idea. They showcased how spiritual power was strong in Hashan based on its gates. The proper procedures of summoning spirits and ones you should avoid. It went on and on. You just dont find that anymore.

And finally, your class. Your class meant so much more back then. It identified you and shaped your character. Were you a forestral? Did you love to explore the land? You were an evil forestral? A twisted perspective over nature's place in the world. You studied necromancy as a science, looking to understand the mysteries of life essence? Or were you a soldier in the army of the lord of evil, corrupting the land as you go? You were a mage of Shallam, seeking purity in the elements? Or a mage from Ashtan using their destructive force to your whim? Those concepts are gone now, the flavor was replaced with strategy, restrictions and statistical numbers.

Anywho, I dont mean this to seem like a whine, just reminiscing. Enjoy.
  • I miss the people.

And I dislike the retirement mechanic.

These things are related. :frown:

• Bring back Papa S.
  • edited October 2017
    I think a decent amount is the playerbase, honestly. I joined on my original character in... lord. 2005? 2004? I suppose WoW had just come out. I just remember there being an enormous amount of activity--especially divine activity. I haven't seen a smiting happen since I've gotten back; I remember them happening pretty frequently back in the day.

Also, I'm a decade and change older, so I'm probably harder to impress. Still, I'm really happy to be back.

Oh, and I think the introduction of maps in the client has probably reduced immersion a bit. But they are very, very helpful.
  • Sartan smites us pretty regularly, he just doesn't have a generic zap message.
  • I haven't seen a smiting happen since I've gotten back; I remember them happening pretty frequently back in the day.
    A lot of this is also that the playerbase is trending older now and is correspondingly less likely to act like 15 year old shitheads.
  • Nazihk said:
    I haven't seen a smiting happen since I've gotten back; I remember them happening pretty frequently back in the day.
    A lot of this is also that the playerbase is trending older now and is correspondingly less likely to act like 15 year old shitheads.
    Well... A good portion of them are, at least.
  • Bit of a Necro, but gosh do I miss milking venoms as a serpent...

Brewing them just doesnt have the same feel :/
  • I miss chop mazes everywhere. They were the best!

And all the people saying they miss "Clem" makes me miss Clementus random ways of dealing with anyone who dared called him Clem.

I miss guild/classes being more because they were controlled information.
    Enchanting bans on some items. (I remember selling black market resistance rings for 50cr a pop as a warlock)

But most of all I miss forceboarding. RP on the high seas was amazing. There is no RP in combat in Achaea at all. But on the high seas every personal encounter was RP before combat. Swinging across a players deck and kidnapping novice Shallamites to lock them in the ships slave pen. Making their city leaders come up with a ransom or a plan.

I don't miss Bonko though...
  • edited December 2017
    Zulah said:
    stuff

I don't miss Manu though...
    ftfy