City RP and Class Questions

Hi All,

I played Achaea ages ago, prior to Aetolia being created. I've been mainly playing Aetolia since then, but I'm completely jaded with it at this point, so I thought I'd start fresh with credits from retirement. I've been lurking on forums for the past week or so, trying to understand what would fit me best from an organization RP and class perspective, but I can't get a read on a few things. So, I'm hoping you can help me. I have about 1k credits to start, more to follow if I get hooked on some random chance promotion. 

My priorities: An org with good RP (or a core of good RP and a bunch of people to argue against constantly), and a class with strong PvP possibilities without massive credit investment. I've read all the threads that say Runie/Shaman/Alchemist for low-cost PvP, but they don't really fit what I'm looking for. I don't mind complex classes, and I prefer some mobility.

I could use some thoughts on the following:
- Eleusis, how bad is the infighting, and how snuggly is it? I really like Sentinel, while Druid and Sylvan seem solid. Does the infighting add to the RP value or detract from it? Are any of these classes utter rubbish in PvP without arties? I love metamorphosis, so Druid and Sent are a strong possiblity. 
- Mhaldor. I love the Occie class. I spent years as an Indorani on Aetolia, and played a lot as whatever they called them on Imperian. Tarot is awesome. It also feels like the RP in the city has some really interesting facets to it. That said, I don't like being on the side that absolutely dominates, or which supports absolute evil. What's the PK and RP level here?
- Hashan. A little fascinating to me as I could be any class, and Hashan was just created when I stopped playing my rogue priest to go with Aetolia. Is there any decent RP here given that it's not as thematic as the others?
- Jester in Eleusis. Again I love Tarot, I like forestal RP, but this seems like a glass cannon, which I don't like. I hate the balloons part of this class, so maybe I can ignore those skills? Playing a forestal maniac could be fun. Thoughts?

Specific questions/observations:
- Do any of the classes I've mentioned need a lot of arties to be decent?
- What does Skirmishing DRAG do? Does it let you move people around who are massed, and set off traps?
- Sylvan thornrend: it seems like the affliction combos are based on what you propogate? Or, can you use any dual-venom combo? (i.e. is epseth/epteth doable?)
- How much of a pain in the ass are Weatherweaving or Propagation in 1v1?
- It seems like groves are a lot more portable than they used to be, with imbue sunlight? How do bees/wildgrowth/active grove skills stack up? Do you still need to plant qstaff?Jest
- Is there any way to make Jester not a glass cannon? I don't mind squishiness and ignoring their stupid skills like giraffe (unless that skill is core to the play style)
- Bard and BM got a mention in many threads. Are they still solid for any org?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments

• I can't answer most of your questions, but there does seem to be one key misunderstanding. Occultist is part of the Chaos faction (Ashtan), not the Evil faction (Mhaldor). You can't play an Occultist in Mhaldor.

• If I'm being honest, only Mhaldor and Targossas are going to offer you anything resembling Aetolia's level of RP. Eleusis is blatant OOC says at their hangout spot pretty often and the infighting has made a community where all the quality players minus a couple have long ago left.

You can't be an occultist in Mhaldor. Mhaldor doesn't usually dominate unless during their peak population, being it's one of the smaller cities and teaming up is still common vs Mhaldor for some reason. Mhaldor still does well most of the time, though, it's just not a guaranteed win by any means. I dunno what you mean by 'absolute evil.' It's the city of Evil (which is not what we think of as 'evil' IRL necessarily) so... maybe?

You can't actually be 'any' class in Hashan. You can't be forestal, necro, or devotion classes in Hashan. It's got a few pockets of RPers but last time I played there people were blatantly OOC pretty commonly, too. Might be better now, idk.

As for classes:

The forestal classes do okay unartied, but nowhere near as well as the classic apostate/shaman/alchemist for 0 arties.

Sylvan thornrend uses one venom + 1 class skill aff, can't double venom but most of the affs mirror venoms. It limits what you can combo, though.

I dunno what you mean by pain in the ass. Sylvan's pretty simple, so I assume not at all.

Groves are more on par with any other class's skills now, though still huge on utility.

Re: jester. Arties, I guess? You can con spec pretty well with jester, so it's not really that big a deal. You can also escape most things, but yeah balloons are kind of an integral part of the class, even if giraffe isn't.

Bard and BM are solid classes, though I dunno how well BM does without a band since I've never played one. Bard benefits from artefact rapiers but you should be able to beat most people even with forged.

As far as arty-independent classes with good mobility, you basically have depthswalker, jester, shaman (though shaman's mobility is more restricted).
  • Did you play on Shadow or Spirit in Achaea? I honestly can't say the RP is close to Aetolia's at least from the spirit side, so you might be a little shit out of luck there. The PK's fantastic, though.

- Hashan. A little fascinating to me as I could be any class, and Hashan was just created when I stopped playing my rogue priest to go with Aetolia. Is there any decent RP here given that it's not as thematic as the others?
    Hashan is a good place to go if you just want to go do your own thing. It's a bad place to go if you want to constantly be raiding with your buddies.

- Do any of the classes I've mentioned need a lot of arties to be decent?

RW absolutely needs arties to not feel gimped. When you start getting up to mid-top tier, or fight someone who knows the weaknesses of your class, you're gonna fucking wish you had stuff like the arti that lets you fast sketch runes, or the one that lets you sketch on water, or str arties, or an arti weapon, etc.

Shaman/Alchemist/Jester/Sylvan/Druid don't need any arties besides the standard of a ring of flight and a shield of absorption. Jester would benefit from tank arties because it's made of paper and you might find yourself caving to any class that does physical health damage as a consequence.

Occultist generally needs a diadem (crown) and either +int or +con arties to be competitive above the standard noted above.

Sentinel, if I recall, is fairly sturdy overall, but benefits nicely from an arti handaxe.

- Sylvan thornrend: it seems like the affliction combos are based on what you propogate? Or, can you use any dual-venom combo? (i.e. is epseth/epteth doable?)

Propogation + venom, sorry, no dual venoms.

- How much of a pain in the ass are Weatherweaving or Propagation in 1v1?

Weatherweaving is scary but manageable when fighting it, mostly because once you leave the room they literally lose their entire offense immediately if you don't choose to return. Generally you don't use Propagation to build affs, you use it to limb damage and the affs are a nice bonus on the side.

- It seems like groves are a lot more portable than they used to be, with imbue sunlight? How do bees/wildgrowth/active grove skills stack up? Do you still need to plant qstaff?

All the overpowered skills seem gone, bees/wildgrowth follow you around fine.

- Is there any way to make Jester not a glass cannon? I don't mind squishiness and ignoring their stupid skills like giraffe (unless that skill is core to the play style)

Artifacts!

- Bard and BM got a mention in many threads. Are they still solid for any org?

They are solid for every org.

• re my "Pain in the ass" comment... I'm referring to any class which is either: so overwhelming to fight that no one bothers, or which is so eaily countered that no one bothers. Examples from previous revisions of Achaea/Aetolia would include Vampires who could do dual loki/dual whisper every round, Cabalists with 15k health and soulcage, or Sentaari with so many arties that 2-3 combos would kill you. I'm sure there are examples from both sides.

@Antonius and  @kiet thanks for the clarification on factions re Mhaldor/Hashan. It seems like I'm misunderstanding factions. Is there a better resource than the wiki and forums to understand? In a perfect world, I'd create a character for each, but I'm just not sure I have time to do that these days.

@kiet it sounds like you're writing off everyone but Mhaldor and Targossas. Are there any other factions that might have potential in your opinion?

@Armali thanks for being specific with your answers, the info about Goves, BM/Bard, and Shaman/Alcy/Jester/Sylvan/Druid is really useful. Would you say that any of these are underplayed compared to the rest of the game?

To answer your question about sides: I played both sides on Aetolia, but I was mainly spirit. If it's relevant I did a bunch of things IC and OOC that meant I held positions of responsibility or influence over RP and skill balance, so I'd like to think I can tough out periods of discomfort in either area. So I guess to some extent I'm looking for a solid foundation in the org I join, rather than a passing annoyance.

Are Sylvan/Druid more powerful at higher levels of combat than Bard or BM? Or are there other classes I've mentioned that I like which would work well, even if I got my factions wrong?

Just to call it out to future responders: No one answered my question about Sentinel drag yet.

Thanks!
  • In Aetolia, it's spirit vs whatever, right? In Achaea, it's a 6-way freeforall (in theory, at least. People still team up sometimes).

I wouldn't personally play in any faction but Mhaldor for RP, and Targossas is the only other faction I'd maybe tolerate. But that's also my personal opinion and not one you have to agree with. Ashtan has a cool group of younger RPers these days, but the city is pretty stagnant and struggling in general. Hashan/Eleusis I mentioned earlier, and Cyrene has okay RP if you just want to like, do cultural events.

As far as what each faction is about, you'd have to ask specific questions if the wiki isn't enough. Mhaldor is about following the seven truths of evil which are basically that sentient life must be made better and stronger through enduring hardships. Hashan is basically Twilight's city, and that's an entirely different thing.

Bard/Sylvan are stronger than druid/bm imo, though druid has the one really powerful cheese tactic (that might not qualify as cheese tbh but idk how long it'll go unnerfed). The difference is minor, though, most of the classes are pretty even.

Drag lets you move someone when they're impaled but I don't remember all the details, sorry!
  • @Armali thanks for being specific with your answers, the info about Goves, BM/Bard, and Shaman/Alcy/Jester/Sylvan/Druid is really useful. Would you say that any of these are underplayed compared to the rest of the game?

Few people play Jesters because no one likes Jesters. Alchemists generally are not as represented. You'll find smatterings of the other classes.

To answer your question about sides: I played both sides on Aetolia, but I was mainly spirit. If it's relevant I did a bunch of things IC and OOC that meant I held positions of responsibility or influence over RP and skill balance, so I'd like to think I can tough out periods of discomfort in either area. So I guess to some extent I'm looking for a solid foundation in the org I join, rather than a passing annoyance.

I've only played spirit so I'm only familiar with the RP on that side. One thing you'll want to get clear is that very very few people outside of Cyrenians will sit down and long form emote with you. I can run into a shop in Aet and drop a short one or two liner and depending on how they react, it could turn into paragraphs. You'll find people here mostly stick to socials and says. Few people emote outside of snuggly Cyrene.

Are Sylvan/Druid more powerful at higher levels of combat than Bard or BM? 

At the highest levels, I'd rank them as Druid > BM > Sylvan > Bard.

The Druid limb instakill is almost unescapable and druid has a lot of tools to survive up until the point they can execute.

BM scales really well with arties that can rip through people from low to mid-top tier, but there's a few very glaring weaknesses that show up against the most artied of combatants that can leave you really frustrated.

Sylvan has a varied tool kit, but it sort of only does everything mediocre. If you're not knowledgeable about how the class works it can be really frustrating, but if you are, it's semi-trivial to stay alive. 

Bard can seem strong on paper, but they have no room hinder in a mostly momentum focused class, which means it's trivial to escape them.

Or are there other classes I've mentioned that I like which would work well, even if I got my factions wrong?

At what level did you fight in Aetolia, and which classes did you enjoy?

• Lots of people long-form emote in Mhaldor, but it's definitely still rarer than Aetolia. I wouldn't say it's more common in Cyrene per capita, though.
  • Thanks both for the detailed answers. 

@Kiet that's good to know about Mhaldor. I'm not looking for super-long emotes like parts of Aetolia. I could never keep up with that. I guess you could say I'm more interested in consistency within the organization, or the potential for consistency within an organzation.

@Armali  I'd like to think I fought at the bottom end of top-tier or the top end of mid-tier.  I couldn't consistently win against the absolute best, but I was competitive and wasn't a complete pushover for anyone. I enjoyed Indorani a lot as my main char before he switched to the spirit (Druid) side, and then really liked Lycan when it was a real guild. Earlier in the game when Sentinel had Metamorphosis/Woodlore, I enjoyed the class because of the mobility and traps. 

I'm hearing a lot of differing opinions on the forums about the Druid instakill. A number of people saying you need an artie axe/trans weaponry to pull it off?

That said, Druid is becoming more attractive to me as it seems like Imbue Quarterstaff handles a lot of the mobility issues that used to plague the class for Grove, while reclamation is new and novel, and Metamorphosis is a combination of the old mechanics I used to like so much while still having Hydra. I'm just not convinced that it has a viable non-damage kill route.

• I'm hearing a lot of differing opinions on the forums about the Druid instakill. A number of people saying you need an artie axe/trans weaponry to pull it off?
    You need trans Riding for trample to punish preapply and quarterstaff should've been sped up last classlead cycle to handle the speed issues (a very well-reasoned argument was made that you shouldn't NEED non-class skills to pull off your main kill). Though, I suppose trans weaponry and an arti handaxe would be 'safe'. But that's all you need which, all things considered, I don't really think are that big of an investment relative to other classes. Assuming you have the tools though, the non-damage insta kill is 100% viable and exceptionally dangerous.

I enjoyed Indorani a lot as my main char before he switched to the spirit (Druid) side, and then really liked Lycan when it was a real guild. Earlier in the game when Sentinel had Metamorphosis/Woodlore, I enjoyed the class because of the mobility and traps. 

This gives me the impression you were PKing in an earlier age of Aetolia, when Indorani were non-viable except via lots of cheese (and boy did they do the cheese well), Druids just mauled everything to death in their groves with arties (because they weren't Shamans yet, which just lightninged everything to death in their overgrowth), and Sentinels did likewise plus tricked you into traps. Jesters, Shamans, and Occies all have lots of cheesing potential in that regard, I think. However, you'll find combat less automated than in Aetolia, so if you've disliked the direction combat over there has gone in in general, I think you'll enjoy it a bit more here on that front. If you like Druid, that's also great, though some of my friends find Eleusis in general intolerable and just PK there without any engagement whatsoever with the village.

• @armali I'm not sure if the reasons I enjoyed the classes count as cheese or not, TBH. I don't mind if they are, but maybe some more details will help clarify and give me more info for a decision?

Overall I like having a consistent route that allows a class to kill against a less skills opponent, decent tankiness, and some mobility. The second two are often a tradeoff, which is fine.

I enjoyed PK as an Indorani in the earlier age of Aetolia mainly because of the mobility/survivability, variety (damage, death tarot, and affliction route), and for the fallback of being able to consistently set up Death Tarot in the right way to take out even people with a lot of arties--if you could survive long enough.

Druid I found frustrating because of the need to get someone into grove to kill and the fact that heavily artifacted people could survive it. I stuck with the guild/class for ages though as I enjoyed the RP challenge of trying to get OOC people to RP and pacifists to fight. Group-wise I Iiked the utility/control in group situations.

Sentinels I enjoyed because of metamorphosis and the ability to push afflictions/limb damage and stay mobile by protecting routes with traps while also trying to get people into them - to some extent an element of cheese maybe? I've always found traps cool. They're a unique mechanic  for the class, can restrict people's movement or provide a retreat, ambush people, and provide an offensive route if there's a way to get ahead of people and force movement (in Aetolia Impale/Drag worked to set traps off).

Lycan I enjoyed for completely different reasons: there was an affliction route as well as (at the time) a completely unique route of giving people spleenrip and then bleeding them to death.
  • Targossas and Mhaldor are the strongest contenders if you want RP and identity to mold your character around. Eleusis is Nature, which is a staple in a lot of games, but the city usually plays more on the defensive than the offensive.

Ashtan is figuring itself out, and it's a bit hard since the term "Chaos" has been a catch-all for a lot of ideas over the course of Achaean history. Hashan has amazing potential with the Shadow Court and Wellspring business, but its players (and the leaders they elected) seem to be adamant in maintaining the city's direction-less makeup (read recent news posts for a laugh :D).

<3 
  • @Mathilda I have fond memories of Ashtan from waaaay back in the day. Does it seem like it's making progress sorting itself out, or has it been floundering for a long time now and needs a kick in the pants?

• Overall I like having a consistent route that allows a class to kill against a less skills opponent, decent tankiness, and some mobility. The second two are often a tradeoff, which is fine.

You can define tankiness a lot of ways, resilient to damage (physical specifically, usually), or just a general resistance to kill routes because of X, Y, Z. Blademaster, Jester, and Serpent are really the only classes that are explicitly squishy without arties, and ironically are also some of the classes with the best resistance to kill routes because of their abilities. Everybody is more or less resistant to damage to some degree, though they might not be as strong against kill routes.

Mobility can be defined as either 'have to stick in a room' or 'how many movement skills you have'. Only Druid and Sylvan really find it essential to stick in their prepped room, because some of their killing skills require them to be there. Everybody else more less can move with the same tools and at the same rate. 

Consistency against less skilled opponents: this one's trickier, and I assume you mean it's built in such a way that arties won't let your enemy tank you indefinitely even if they're brain dead (i.e., old Druids). Certain survival strategies against certain routes aren't viable if you were at low health, which can be implemented, in theory, by somebody 'less skilled' and severely frustrate you. Bard, Blademasters, knights of every variety, and Sylvans can all suffer from this pretty badly in certain cases if they have arties and you don't. Everyone else has something that's not really as artifact dependent, though that's not to say people can't take active measures to frustrate you either. The most consistent routes would be those that are purely prep and require zero momentum to start up, with Druid being a pretty decent example (balanced out by lack of mobility).

--

Alchemist is decently tanky, very mobile, all things considered, and can easily demolish less skilled opponents. It's the really top people in certain classes that will make you want to tear out your hair and pick a different class. 

Occultist would be a good fit to all your requirements, but it would need arties to really shine. I personally don't feel it can go up against other momentum classes, but that could just be the Occultist vs. Alchemist match-up.

Sentinel would also be a good fit. I don't believe it requires as many arties and its really hard for me to say how hard it scales to artifacts and how much it needs them, but on paper it doesn't need much and they're absurdly hard to kill played right.

Jesters/Shamans are fun in that they have dolls/puppets, which are pretty unique and allow for all sorts of strategies, most of which are cheesy, and some of which are definitely not and very dangerous. Jester are superbly resistant to kill routes and very slippery and have Tarot, BUT are made out of paper and can die to a stiff breeze. Shamans are a little better damage resistance, but are not as mobile nor have the same sort of defensive tools Jesters do. 

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Keilset said:
    @Mathilda I have fond memories of Ashtan from waaaay back in the day. Does it seem like it's making progress sorting itself out, or has it been floundering for a long time now and needs a kick in the pants?

It needs a kick. Some of us are trying to kick it, but it's an uphill struggle because people go where other people are.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • edited September 2017
    @Keilset I don't have an active alt in Ashtan at the moment, so Klendathu's analysis is more accurate than anything I can muster up! My view on the city is from months back, when I was just starting on Achaea myself and started up characters in the various factions to check things out.

Edit:

My further assessment is that Chaos was always meant to be this dark, consume-the-world-and-barf-up-a-new-one (Babelite) ideology, with the happy fun times sprinkles just a cover for the whole thing (Erisian). But certain people took the happy fun times cover as the actual Chaos, and that's where all the mess originated. So now Ashtan Chaos is supposedly just the dark chaosy theme, but it's hard to shake off RL years of happy fun times :D.
     <3 
    Common misconception: Oblivion (Nihilist / Babelite!!) is the same as Chaos. Oblivion is part of Chaos, not the whole thing. Happy flowery sprinkles Chaos is just as valid, so is Vastarian belief that Chaos is a force for change.

Ashtan is suffering for a number of reasons, not least of which is underpopulation brought on, in my opinion, by how long it took for Ashtan's renaissance to happen - a lot of people got tired of waiting and alt'ed out or just plain left. As I said before, people go where people are, so there's less appeal to go to an underpopulated city.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • What confuses me about that is... During day-time GMT you guys had a rake of strong up and coming bodies and they all seem to have just disappeared. Your population was always larger than ours from 9am to 5pm for RL weeks and now... nothing again...
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

If I knew the answer...  As far as I can tell, many of them are still logging in, just at different times. School started back in the US a couple of weeks ago, may have had an impact (can't stay up all night if you've got to get up in the morning)

• I miss @Chubbs and Co.
  • edited September 2017
    The last entropic ritual had close to 30 people.  Like holy crap man
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • @Armali

Again, I appreciate the response and the amount of info you provided. It was super helpful.

I'll have to check out Alchemist some more.

If I go Eleusis, Sentinel is definitely the leader (though I'm still not ruling our Druid for some reason). Occie is ahead for Ashtan. I'm not sure what to consider for the other cities yet. Probably depends on flavor at this point.

@torinn @Solnir @Klendathu @Xaden and @Mathilda - thanks for the info/back-and-forth about Ashtan. It sounds like there's potential there, but that a lot is shifting. What are your thoughts on whether the kick it needs can come from gaining a handful of actively involved people, or if the issues are really deep-seated and hard to move?

• I'm not sure what to consider for the other cities yet.
    Sword and shield spec Paladins have two really strong kill routes for Targossas, one of which is more arti dependent, one of which isn't. I wouldn't go priest because of issues fighting people with arties and not having a real prep route. 

The dual wielding (cut and blunt) Infernal specs are both really strong for Mhaldor. I feel Apostate is stronger than Priest, though it shares the same weaknesses of not being very good against people with arties who play intelligently and having no prep route.

Basically for those two orgs, the knight factional class is consistent and tanky, marginally less mobile because they have room effects they need to drop, but make up for it with free mounting (so they can almost always use mountjump to leap over stuff as long as they can actually mount in the first place). The momentum/caster faction class for those two orgs are less consistent, probably more tanky, but also stuck with room effects and also not having the free mounting.

And there's nothing wrong with Druid! 95% of the people you fight aren't going to even know how to take advantage of your lack of mobility, and the other 5% you could just bait. It just takes one wrong move before you smash them with a hard execution.
  • Apostate is pretty reliable but can be tough against clever curing. Decent basher, great duelist, decent in groups. 

Infernal is in a pretty good place. Solid at pretty much everything. 

Sentinel is pretty godly, but I'm not sure if it requires artefact weapons to be, or not. Terrifying in groups. 

Druid is a terrible basher but great duelist and pretty strong in groups. 

Sylvan is very static but very strong. Probably the best factional hunter and scary in groups. 

Paladin SnB is as reliable as it gets, but is a slow prepper. All Paladins are great in groups, all strong bashers.

Priest is a decent duelist (the effectiveness drops pretty hugely as you go up the artefact scale), good hunter, mediocre group class. It has some good abilities but doubling up on priests is weak, and Targ has a ton of them.

Occultist is like Sentinel. Might need more arties than Sentinel to be terrifying, not sure.

Mostly, you can't really go wrong with factional classes. I'd recommend finding the place whose lore attracts you the most and going from there. Achaea's pvp is in a great place atm, so you can make nearly everything work. Just a matter of picking your flavor!
  • Regarding Sentinel, I asked Lyrin about it some, and an arti spear is what makes the momentum based route scary because of the drastic speed improvements it produces. He said for the prep routes however (the generally more consistent routes), an arti handaxe isn't required since the limiter isn't the axe speed, its a secondary class balance. Make of that what you will!

Occie definitely needs arties to perform.
  • Best advice I can give is to test out the waters on a character you're not pouring all of your funds into. 

Sadly, no amount of prep can substitute for taking the plunge. When you find the right place, and people you really click with. Just go for it!  :)
    "Alas. Alas for Hamlin. The Mayor sent east, west, north, and south. To offer the Piper by word of mouth. Wherever it was men's lot to find him, silver and gold to his heart's content. If only he'd return the way he went."
  • I'm around, @Solnir, just not around as often. Like Klendathu said, start of the semester hit me so my hours changed a lot. Not much to do about it but wait. I'm really hoping to get better hours next semester because right now I spend 12+ hours on campus plus another 2 hours commuting. :(
  • Thanks @Reyson @Ziahra and @Jinos for the insight on cities and classes.

It sounds like I'll be making characters for all of the cities, to try and figure out which fits me best.

Class-wise, Occie and Sentinel or Druid seem to be leading for city-specific classes. 

I really like variety (and did I mention tarot?) so I'm half tempted to play Jester and just refuse to use the utterly stupid skills (balloons, giraffe, banana peel) given the apparently huge flexibilty. Not sure if I could forgive myself though :P 
  • Jester is definitely a powerful (but difficult-to-master) class. You can use the stupid and silly skills and just channel your inner Joker (Heath Ledger's version, at least). :D
     <3 
  • Depthswalker is a very flexible class that replaces jesters in groups without the ridiculous flavour (instead you're an edgelord weeb)