HTML5 vs Mudlet

So I am relatively new to MUDs (I played for a few months, years and years ago. Maybe 2001) so I started out on the HTML5 client. I really like it visually, and the idea of making a full functioning svof type system for myself on it sounds like a fun way to sharpen up my coding skills. Before I devote the time to it, I had some questions before I regret the decision and just go to the already awesome svof.

-I've heard the HTML5 client doesn't handle spam well. If this is the case then I am already wasting my time.
-Is is possible to customize the windows in the GUI with my own information (limb counter or other things I decide I want to see)? The documentation says 'not supported' so I'm not sure if this is something worth pursuing.
-Is it possible to work in it while offline? I'm not real happy having to be logged in and sitting around afk while I work on things.
-Is it possible to make mudlet look good? I've seen some decent GUI's out there, but I am no artist and I especially hate the fonts available. It makes the client look so dated.
-Is the mapper in mudlet that much better than the HTML5 mapper?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Most of your questions are actually answered in this thread:
    http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/5814/what-would-you-like-to-see-in-nexus

But, from what I know having not used Nexus in a few months.
    1) Spam is terrible, and expect long periods of lag during fast paced things such as combat.
    2) I don't believe the windows are customisable beyond just displaying what you want shown by right clicking on a window.
    3) Not able to work offline.
    4) Mudlet can look great! The ZulahGUI (http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/5061/zulahgui-free-easy-gui/) is a good example, and he has a more recent version, though he's not around to help troubleshoot issues right now.
    5) The mapper in Mudlet is top notch. It has built in.. well, here's a log of the functions mudlet provides. 
    https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/g3nedRVO
  • Thanks for answering! I had read that thread. It where most of my questions came from. I was hoping there was an update or something. Sounds like I might be better off just trying to sort out a proper GIU in mudlet.
  • edited August 2017
    I just moved from the HTML5 client to Mudlet, it's way more convenient. But I have very little coding knowledge, meaning I rely on scripts shared here. So the former really helped out initially to get into the game. Honestly if I could scroll through the buffer to glance at what happened earlier without it scrolling back down I'd probably stay on HTML5. I'm not sure if that's intended or something wrong with my browser/pc. But I couldn't figure it out.
  • It happens when you click on the window. If you just hover it and mousewheel scroll then it doesn't reset.
  • You can push custom output to custom windows.

Spam happens to everyone, so does lag.

What happens with a browser though is that the I/O is blocking, so while you are lagging, you -cannot- input -anything-, unlike Mudlet. 

The way around it is to have a server like process host the actual connection, and then have the browser serve as the input -only-. I did this by writing my own client with Node.js, worked reasonably well, up until the output /div/ had to start handling several thousand lines.. then there was appreciable delay in display of information, upwards of 200ms. 

I wasted many hours building a full combat system for knight in the HTML5 client, worked great in duels, took out for a 5v5 and... it exploded.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

• TUNNELVISION in Vision is very handy for reducing the spam when using any client, it makes PK in Nexus much friendlier.
  • We're also improving Mudlet a lot, all the time - just have a look at the recent releases: https://www.mudlet.org

In particular, the new code editor is pretty nice and would be familiar to those coming from sublime text / atom / etc.
  • edited August 2017
    Started in Nexus and moved to mudlet.  Still do a bunch if coding for Nexus and having settings and scripts not stored locally would be amazing.  If my computer dies I'm never gonna be able to rebuild it all.  The one thing that is widely available on mudlet that if Nexus had would make me return is a way to tell someone's city easily (nameDB in svo comes to mind).  Hmm now that I think about it, is there a way to tell someone's city through gmcp?
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Torinn said:
    Started in Nexus and moved to mudlet.  Still do a bunch if coding for Nexus and having settings and scripts not stored locally would be amazing.  If my computer dies I'm never gonna be able to rebuild it all.  The one thing that is widely available on mudlet that if Nexus had would make me return is a way to tell someone's city easily (nameDB in svo comes to mind).  Hmm now that I think about it, is there a way to tell someone's city through gmcp?
    Put your mudlet profile in a Dropbox folder, problem solved

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Nicola said:
    TUNNELVISION in Vision is very handy for reducing the spam when using any client, it makes PK in Nexus much friendlier.
    @Nicola I know what you mean. I will, however, say in counterpoint that infrequently, you need that extra information; when you're going 3v5, 3v6 and you really need some clutch plays, it can be the difference between winning and losing. Being able to swap to a person who has fallen behind and finish a lock in 1-2 balances only happens when you are following nearly everything that is happening. Infrequent, but I've certainly been involved in enough occurrences to say that it genuinely is a major, major boost when your team can pull off some clutch plays. @Vender can verify. Tunnelvision is great but it's like playing chess and choosing to swap your knights for bishops.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

• @Sobriquet they can use profiles from Dropbox?  Or is that just an off site backup?
  • Torinn said:
    @Sobriquet they can use profiles from Dropbox?  Or is that just an off site backup?
    Mudlet profiles can be saved anywhere, so I now sync that local folder with online shortage. Means I always have it at hand and it backs up when I make changes. 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • ...... We truly do live in the magical future.