New player interested in PvP and Raiding!

Hey all, very excited to jump into this game and was curious if anyone had any advice for starting Serpents(if this is even a good class to try starting as in Achaea). The PvP in this game appears deep and rich and the Serpent class sounds like it has a wealth of skills to manipulate, deceive, and control other players with as well as some presence in raiding. Mhaldor, as the city of Evil, sounds like a good place to live as one imagines they would have many enemies to choose from.

Are my assumptions correct? Many of the posts here appear outdated. Just want to make sure my fangs will be fighting for an active group and that the proper skills will be employed in battle. Thank you. 

Comments

• Mhaldor is a good choice. (With that said, all cities except Cyrene (?) are regularly involved with PVP.)

To learn the ins and outs of serpent combat, try talking to @Kythra in game.
  • As Ysela said, every city except Cyrene is actively involved in combat. Mhaldor and Targossas, being the two militant city-states, are more involved than the rest by my estimation, but you can find combat in any city you go to if you look for it.

As for serpent, it is not an easy class as it's all about affliction momentum, but with dedication and a good teacher you can be a decent combatant within a month or two.

Going off memory, good serpents include Kythra (tagged above), @Micaelis, @Antidas, and @Dunn. My list is from a Targossian perspective, so if I missed anyone, my bad. :D

• I just taught 2-3 serpents from the ground up within the last month so I'm fairly fresh at the lectern if you're interested! Hit me up in game.

• Morthif said:
    Ashtan's younger kids are pretty impressive lately. Pretty good environment to grow in since we are the underdogs lately.
    We still manage to severely disappoint Dunn and maybe to a lesser extent Seragorn, though. I could feel the 'WTF GUYS' and head shaking when we stood in breathrain last night.
  • It's a learning experience. Carry some butterfly bombs around and pop one when you see the warning message.
  • edited July 2017
    I'm a big proponent of "get your ass beat and get up". Is why I test all of my strategies on Jhui cause I know he's the hardest test case for most things so if I can get it to work on him then I know I can on pretty much anyone else (for the most part). 

That raid was unfortunate cause I had my laptop on my counter while I was cooking dinner and trying to defend. It was spam breathstream that got us and I couldn't keep a wall up. 

• Chubbs said:
    Morthif said:
    Ashtan's younger kids are pretty impressive lately. Pretty good environment to grow in since we are the underdogs lately.
    We still manage to severely disappoint Dunn and maybe to a lesser extent Seragorn, though. I could feel the 'WTF GUYS' and head shaking when we stood in breathrain last night.
    Don't worry, @Dunn shook his head at me at least 3 times a week. Keep pushing!

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Dunn said:
    And look at him now! Only twice per week!
    Remember that pro Xer snap follow puppet summon for relics?

Glory.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Please. I have to walk to the parking garage soon. 

• Dunn said:
    I'm a big proponent of "get your ass beat and get up". Is why I test all of my strategies on Jhui cause I know he's the hardest test case for most things so if I can get it to work on him then I know I can on pretty much anyone else (for the most part). 

That raid was unfortunate cause I had my laptop on my counter while I was cooking dinner and trying to defend. It was spam breathstream that got us and I couldn't keep a wall up. 
    I guess you could say that you got cooked for dinner instead oh ho ho ho chortle chortle

More on-topic-ly, would 100% suggest talking shop with your city mates and even non-city mates (maybe OOCly for this part). People in this game are super friendly if you're wanting to learn combat, and they give out so much help (@Dunn and @Aerek gave me a lot of good info when I started!). Every city has people who can help you go through your ideas and strategies and pick them apart for you. I think I must have put @Calira/@Armali palms through their foreheads by now with my zany ideas, but it's one of the things that keeps the game fun :)
  • And when you think you are good enough, come practice with Cyrenians. We are a tier by ourselves. 
  • They're a tear by themselves.*

Ftfy.

(I'm only kidding, Dochi's cool)
  • It just happens to be a low tier.
  • Atalkez said:
    Chubbs said:
    Morthif said:
    Don't worry, @Dunn shook his head at me at least 3 times a week. Keep pushing!
    wait. that's what those head shakes mean?  :o
  • It means I like you and I think you're worth my attention.