Small adjustments to tradeskills and harvesting

Salutations!

I would like to propose a few modifications and suggestions after dabbling with the tradeskill system. I would IDEA these, but I have several, and as I have seen said multiple times before, the IDEA backlog is rather long.

First, as it currently stands according to the help files, forgetting a tradeskill will refund only 50% of the lessons you've invested into the tradeskill. I understand that this is in place to help dissuade players from jumping between tradeskills on a whim, but I feel that it's a rather harsh penalty for players that might be trying out the tradeskill system or a tradeskill for the first time. Yes, the argument could be made "Well, don't learn the entire skill before giving it a spin. If you do, then you're an idiot and only have yourself to blame." I'll fully accept that, but I still view it as a harsh punishment to learn that lesson by, especially when the only warning you have is a footnote in the tradeskill help file, as opposed to the multiple warnings you get before embracing your class. Thus, I'd like to propose a few alternatives when forgetting/learning tradeskills.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Tradskill Forget suggestions:

Solution 1: Apprentice's Grace - A once-per-character waive of the 50% lesson loss.
  • Cannot be used more than once.

Solution 2: Tradeskill Reclamation - A way to forget tradeskills that costs gold. 
  • You cannot reclaim a tradeskill more than once per 7 IRL days.
  • Reclamation costs increase per reclamation. starting at 10,000 gold.
  • Second reclamation is 25,000, third is 50,000, fourth is 100,000.
  • All reclamations after the forth reclamation are 100,000.
  • After purchasing a tradeskill permit, reclamation will always cost 100,000 gold.

Solution 3: Warning/Agree Confirmation - Give the player a warning before learning the tradeskill, informing them of the 50% loss along with an AGREE prompt at the end. Essentially, treat learning a tradeskill like EMBRACE CLASS.

Harvesting adjustments:

I would also like to suggest that the Harvesting skill be adjusted slightly. I don't mind the sparse/moderate/plentiful/abundant descriptions for plants, but even while sparse, a plant should yield at the very least a single harvest. It's rather disheartening to go digging around in caves and such, trying to harvest Irid Moss and coming out with only twenty patches, especially when with Synthesis you will come out with primes 99% of the time that can be made into hundreds of potash.

Since plants can't be over-harvested/killed anymore(I might be wrong on that, I'm going based off forum posts), is there really any point to the LASTHARVEST ability? If so, why doesn't Synthesis have a similar ability such as LASTEXTRACT?

Lastly, why doesn't Delos have an alchemy/synthesis laboratory for rogues and/or Eleusians that like to munch on rocks? I mean, as long as you aren't enemied to a city, you could technically use any of them, but it just strikes me as odd that there isn't a neutral laboratory anywhere.

Comments

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Xideron said:
    Since plants can't be over-harvested/killed anymore(I might be wrong on that, I'm going based off forum posts), is there really any point to the LASTHARVEST ability? If so, why doesn't Synthesis have a similar ability such as LASTEXTRACT?
    It's just carry-over from times of overharvesting. Practically functionless now, but no harm in it continuing to exist -- some cities criminalise non-citizens harvesting their natural rooms, so useful in the narrow window LASTHARVEST has to catch someone doing it.

Xideron said:
    Lastly, why doesn't Delos have an alchemy/synthesis laboratory for rogues and/or Eleusians that like to munch on rocks? I mean, as long as you aren't enemied to a city, you could technically use any of them, but it just strikes me as odd that there isn't a neutral laboratory anywhere.
    That's due to the history of how Alchemists were introduced. Alchemy was really a gift from the Cauda Pavonis to the cities who rejected Concoctions (i.e., everyone but Eleusis), rather than a gift to Sapience at large.

The tradeskill revamp came later and more-or-less conveniently ignored that Alchemy was originally a for-the-cities type thing.
  • Krypton said:
    It's just carry-over from times of overharvesting. Practically functionless now, but no harm in it continuing to exist -- some cities criminalise non-citizens harvesting their natural rooms, so useful in the narrow window LASTHARVEST has to catch someone doing it.
    I suppose that's fair, though couldn't the same be said of extraction then? I'm not aware of any rooms in cities that could be extracted from off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are a few. I don't know, it just seems silly overall to me to criminalise harvesting in cities. I mean, I understand, with the way plants work you want to keep a supply for your citizens to be able to harvest, it's like a perk of citizenship, but it also is kind of indicative that there is an underlying problem with harvesting and the way plants work. At least that's my two sovereigns on it anyway.
    Krypton said:
    That's due to the history of how Alchemists were introduced. Alchemy was really a gift from the Cauda Pavonis to the cities who rejected Concoctions (i.e., everyone but Eleusis), rather than a gift to Sapience at large.

The tradeskill revamp came later and more-or-less conveniently ignored that Alchemy was originally a for-the-cities type thing.
    In that case since Synthesis has been detatched from Alchemists, is there any harm in adding a lab to Delos, or any other tradeskill facility for that matter?
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Tasur'ke has public ouroboroi to use with a gold fee of about 200gp per enchantment. There are numerous forges in cities, denizen villages, and the odd Temple.

There are stoves scattered throughout most cities and you can purchase these from Delos to place in locations of your choice, and the Shop of Wonders may still have the portable stoves available for purchase.

I personally would love to see alchemy labs implemented as a housing upgrade, similar to how the environments work. For 200 room credits or some such, that room is turned into a laboratory where synthesis and transmute work.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• @Kyrra Shop of wonders item was discontinued. @Naomh was really disappointed.