PVP Help

Hello I was just wondering what is the point of pvp in achaea, is it worth it and what do you get out of it.

Comments

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    This is the wrong forum for this question. That said, you get out of it what you want to get out of it.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Jonathin said:
    This is the wrong forum for this question. That said, you get out of it what you want to get out of it.
    Lol ok whoops, how do I delete a discussion
  • PvP is fun! I like the details, execution of details and plans, pondering possibilities, enjoy others logs, and looking through and figuring out every lost. Feels like chess, expansion pack. 
  • edited May 2017
    I find pvp to be really enjoyable.  Early on I found it confusing, annoying, and often frustrating.  I would die to things I didn't understand and I didn't know enough about my own class to be effective.  Level 90 really started to turn it around for me.  I was powerful enough to start doing decent damage, not die so quickly, and the exp loss didn't hurt as much.  So I began really focusing on how to play my class.  That and dragon was what allowed me to get pretty darn good, and a healthy dose of scripting to back it up so I know what the heck is going on during combat now.  Situational awareness is probably one of the biggest hurdles to overcome.  Seeing warnings and highlighting important text, that sort of thing.  It is just as Dochitha said.  All classes have several ways to kill and it's always a rock-paper-scissors sort of deal.  Just takes practice!
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Daeir said:

You'll inevitably hit the artefact wall at one point or another though, where you start fighting people that have essentially 30-50% more stats than you at a base level 
    Above is incorrect in most circumstances. Even with a min/maxed race and +3 stat artie, the biggest difference you can get is 12 vs 18. Which is not a 50% difference, and no one interested in combat is going to be playing the min'd race of their class anyway.

The rest of what he said is right, for the most part, though.
  • Lol, didn't think I would get that much support. Thank a lot
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    edited May 2017
    Agreed, you don't -need- artefacts to play, but you have to enjoy being the 'underdog' in that case. There will be moments where you do everything right and still lose, just because you just don't have the health/damage/ring of flying to succeed against the folks who have made those investments. As long as you enjoy that challenge, you can have fun and can achieve reasonable success. If being the underdog frustrates you, then there is absolutely an 'artefact wall'.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Solnir said:
    Daeir said:

You'll inevitably hit the artefact wall at one point or another though, where you start fighting people that have essentially 30-50% more stats than you at a base level 
    Above is incorrect in most circumstances. Even with a min/maxed race and +3 stat artie, the biggest difference you can get is 12 vs 18. Which is not a 50% difference, and no one interested in combat is going to be playing the min'd race of their class anyway.

Uhhh... 18 is exactly 50% more than 12
  • Sidonia said:
    Solnir said:
    Daeir said:

Uhhh... 18 is exactly 50% more than 12
    In terms of raw stats, 18 is a 50% increase from 12. However, increasing strength from 12 to 18 won't increase your damage by 50%, which I think was the point being made.
  • Idk Daeir said 50% more stats I assume he means 50% more stats
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    If you add other non-stat artefacts into that  equation, I guarantee you it's at least 50% damage, if not more.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Ahmet said:
    If you add other non-stat artefacts into that  equation, I guarantee you it's at least 50% damage, if not more.

Keen to understand what this guarantee is worth.   

If I post a log demonstrating that going from forged to l3 str/spear dps is less than a 50% increase, what compensation will your guarantee provide?

• edited June 2017
    ^   Apologies for the above, overly snarky comment.    For some reason, I was needled into responding to what I considered to be an overreach on an internet forum.

A more balanced comment might read:    The great thing about Achaean combat is that it's complex enough to ensure that simplistic statements like "50% more x" do not directly translate into combat effectiveness.   Whether x happens to be your strength stat, damage done with a particular skill or afflictions per second.   You can be great without artifacts if you identify the appropriate class and strategy and follow it up with the skill and patience to make that strategy work.    You can also go off the other end of the spectrum, buy a crap ton of artifacts and play Druid.

Regardless of the degree to which you invest in artifacts, the biggest deciding factor in your enjoyment of Achaean combat will be the time and effort you devote to understanding and improving your skills.
  • Yeah it definitely won't be 50% increase in damage output. I doubt, if you compare the fully maxed out race stats and arties vs the min'ed race and arty, the difference is even 50%.

However, Achaean combat is very sensitive to even the smallest buff. A 2% more damage per hit, a 0.1s quicker balance, mere 2% reduction in damage received etc can totally change the game.

That's more real in Achaean terms, which makes arties seem so expensive and pointless, yet OP when someone really roll with them.