Shikudo

Comments

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    I kinda like the dichotomy it creates -- like incompatible classes, but not quite that restrictive.

At least in real life, different schools of martial arts may look superficially similar, but are in fact fundamentally different. Masters in kungfu can be completely novice in taichi, and vice versa. If you start to train in a new school, the new style can feel completely foreign, even if the end result is still "kicking" and "punching."

I like that a focus in one school is encouraged... that a large investment be made if you must show off mastery of two different schools all the time.
  • Who am I kidding anyway... Will probably never go back to Tekura again.
  • edited May 2017
    Farrah said:

Did you try it out Mak's way or just using numbers? Sometimes it works different in practice because the slight cure delays from each salve apply add up. I've been consistently pulling it off, even though it's tight. So if you're not, I'm not sure why…
    I did try, for just that reason, and was coming very very close but not getting it across a few strategies. I didn't give each one repeated tests, though, so it might have just been some particularly bad luck. I'm definitely not sure why it wouldn't work if it is for you, though, so I'll review things. 

also:

[ The Gods at 2017/05/22 14:55:15 ]:
    The monk staves are not eligible for any sort of customization.

I was pretty surprised by this. Is there any chance we could get clarification on why monk staves are being treated different from most other class items? 

EDIT: And then the artifacts were announced, and my question was answered. Damn my buggy staff decay time, I won't have much time to make a choice
  • Fixed.
  • @Makarios Out of curiosity, was the issue that you could target torso with flashheel or the message being weird?
  • The former.
  • 19:08:26.008 Farrah exhales loudly.
    19:08:26.008 Farrah lashes out with a straight kick at you.
    19:08:26.008 You parry the attack with a deft manoeuvre.
    19:08:26.008 Farrah spins a full rotation, bringing a knotted willow staff around in a blur to crash into your left arm.
    19:08:26.008 Lightning-quick, you flick your blade out in riposte.
    19:08:26.008 You bring a lightweight, puissant rapier crashing down on Farrah.
    19:08:26.008 Horror overcomes Farrah's face as her body stiffens into paralysis.
    19:08:26.008 Dropping back into a low crouch, Farrah whips a knotted willow staff at your left thigh.
    They're able to complete their combos whilst paralyzed. :(
  • @Makarios Seems like there's a bug to learn Shikudo. I never got the staff from Yineid after giving the branch.
  • For Reference -

Willow Staff with Shoeing:

Fashioned from the branch of an ancient willow tree, this two-handed staff is shaped with such meticulous care that its
    characteristic knots are still visible upon the surface. Around six feet in length, the wood is slender, supple, and
    startlingly light weight, contrasted by the presence of a sturdy iron shoe fastened tightly to its base. While its
    appearance is scarcely more impressive than that of a simple walking staff, it is the perfect balance and incredible
    strength that resonate a glimpse of something more; a sense of deadly grace and disciplined lethality brought to bear only
    by the hands of a Shikudo monk.

Willow Staff with Shoeing and Strapping:

Fashioned from the branch of an ancient willow tree, this two-handed staff is shaped with such meticulous care that its
    characteristic knots are still visible upon the surface. Around six feet in length, the wood is slender, supple, and
    startlingly light weight, contrasted by the presence of a sturdy iron shoe fastened tightly to its base. Lashed across the
    centre, a black leather strap all but guarantees a firm, steady grip. While its appearance is scarcely more impressive than
    that of a simple walking staff, it is the perfect balance and incredible strength that resonate a glimpse of something more;
    a sense of deadly grace and disciplined lethality brought to bear only by the hands of a Shikudo monk.

Willow Staff with Shoeing, Strapping, and Crowning:

startlingly light weight, contrasted by the presence of a sturdy iron shoe and glistening metal capping fastened firmly to
    both base and tip. Lashed across the centre, a black leather strap all but guarantees a firm, steady grip. While its
    appearance is scarcely more impressive than that of a simple walking staff, it is the perfect balance and incredible
    strength that resonate a glimpse of something more; a sense of deadly grace and disciplined lethality brought to bear only
    by the hands of a Shikudo monk.

That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • What kind of damage are we looking at on someone with 19 str and all staff arties?
  • Staves should be makeable again, the mob got stuck. We're looking into it.
  • You should..... poke it with a stick.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
     B) 
  • Devran said:
    What kind of damage are we looking at on someone with 19 str and all staff arties?
    I was hitting Suzuno for about... 1100 initially, but it quickly rolled into 1610 average as Troll with 20 strength in Oak form and 10+ kata built up.

But the damage got cut in half the moment she parried one out of the three hits in each shikudo combo or brought shield up to force a shatter shield combo.

That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • If you're looking to maximise damage you would want to use hyperfocus in oak or rain form: it cuts limb damage but not health damage.
  • Any lore behind how staves used by Shikudo monks can bypass rebounding? 

Is it because it is made out of wood?
  • edited May 2017
    X (male Atavian).
    He is 18 years old, having been born on the 24th of Phaestian, 724 years after the fall of the Seleucarian Empire.
    He is ranked 1582nd in Achaea.
    He is an extremely credible character.
    He is not known for acts of infamy.
    He is considered to be approximately 5% of your might.
    You cease holding your breath and exhale loudly.

You tell X, "Why do you need to learn Shikudo???"
    X tells you, "Because i have shikudo and it takes an entire month before you're able to switch back to tekura."
    You tell X, "And 100 lessons. Why did you learn Shikudo???"
    X tells you, "Because I like the idea of using a staff."
    X tells you, "((I hate when people ask questions like that. Because it's for roleplay dude. That's such a metagaming question to ask.))."

Shikudo was a mistake.

Can we have it locked behind a level cap as well?  Or just the ability to start actually multi-classing... or.. y'know..

Just require you to be tri-trans monk before you can use Shikudo.  This is kind of silly.
  • I do like that Shikudo is supposed to be an advanced technique that not every monk uses but I believe the limitations already set with Trans Tekura and the complexity of the class itself will set that standard on its own...

If someone young, who is likely not a true youngling wants to learn Shikudo, right on them! I just hope they realise its a complex class and are cool with that! (Or just don't care for combat and the liking)
  • Frederich said:
    X (male Atavian).
    He is 18 years old, having been born on the 24th of Phaestian, 724 years after the fall of the Seleucarian Empire.
    He is ranked 1582nd in Achaea.
    He is an extremely credible character.
    He is not known for acts of infamy.
    He is considered to be approximately 5% of your might.
    You cease holding your breath and exhale loudly.

You tell X, "Why do you need to learn Shikudo???"
    X tells you, "Because i have shikudo and it takes an entire month before you're able to switch back to tekura."
    You tell X, "And 100 lessons. Why did you learn Shikudo???"
    X tells you, "Because I like the idea of using a staff."
    X tells you, "((I hate when people ask questions like that. Because it's for roleplay dude. That's such a metagaming question to ask.))."

Shikudo was a mistake.

Can we have it locked behind a level cap as well?  Or just the ability to start actually multi-classing... or.. y'know..

Just require you to be tri-trans monk before you can use Shikudo.  This is kind of silly.
    I thought it was locked behind Trans Tekura. Got to be able to demonstrate the Krull form. They have to be graded to the proper belt to get Trans Tekura too.
  • They did trans tekura.

Then went into Shikudo.
  • Lucianus said:
    Devran said:
    What kind of damage are we looking at on someone with 19 str and all staff arties?
    I was hitting Suzuno for about... 1100 initially, but it quickly rolled into 1610 average as Troll with 20 strength in Oak form and 10+ kata built up.

But the damage got cut in half the moment she parried one out of the three hits in each shikudo combo or brought shield up to force a shatter shield combo.

Thanks! Was this, as Makarios advised, using Hyperfocus in Oak or Rain form?
  • Devran said:
    Lucianus said: 
    Devran said:

Thanks! Was this, as Makarios advised, using Hyperfocus in Oak or Rain form?
    Yeah. They're damage oriented forms. Oak builds into Maelstrom form for Crescent. 

Rain can do twice the amount of Kata actions, which means your damage can rack up pretty high before you have to transition form.
  • Lucianus said:
    Any lore behind how staves used by Shikudo monks can bypass rebounding? 

I imagine that, gameplay-wise, Shikudo is just Tekura with a staff flavour. And since Tekura bypasses rebounding...

• I always thought the lore behind rebounding was that it repels metal weapons. Which would make sense for wooden staves and spiritual/shadowy summoned weapons to bypass it. 
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Synbios said:
    Lucianus said:
    Any lore behind how staves used by Shikudo monks can bypass rebounding? 

I imagine that, gameplay-wise, Shikudo is just Tekura with a staff flavour. And since Tekura bypasses rebounding...
    @Synbios you would be wildly incorrect on the first bit.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Does anyone have any logs fighting as and winning yet? I'm still super new at Depthswalker and I'm just not seeing limb or aff pressure yet. I know we're still very early in the release part aspect of this class, but usually someone like Farrah or Jhui picks up something and history deathsight is full of people with shit prios/incorrect strategies dying. I wanna see what the class can do to see if it's worth picking up purely from an enjoyment aspect.
  • I've been mostly just trying to get a limb counter to track the limb damage well with the different attacks that deal different damage. 

I hate going into duels where it's just me messing up the limb counts over and over. :(
  • Also, I'm not on my computer atm to pull them up easily, but if you search shikudo tag on Ada pastebin, I put some log clips there, if they help at all. No 1v1s yet though, like I said above. Just testing and a party spar.
  • Spent some fair time with it. Not doing well technically. Haven't tried the lock or damage path, mainly just playing with dispatch. 

People prio mending> restoration makes it terribly hard to time needle. Class active can cure it, eg daina, salt, not sure about other actives. Haven't reached a point I have to deal with tumble yet.

Not sure how else to progress. Anyone with good progress to share? Thanks.