Homeport

Comments

• Speaking as a resident of SEAsia running on one of the slowest internet speeds in the world, I can assure you it's no hindrance in anything but combat.

P.S. Nevermind the deathsights of me that you see versus whisper outriders...
     <3 
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    You keep saying that it's the norm of what was taught but I guarantee you there was a decent sized portion of the playerbase (if not the majority) not using homeport that way (or any of the other bugs). If it was the norm, especially in Cyrene, a lot of them might be shrubs right now.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Kayeil said:
    You keep saying that it's the norm of what was taught but I guarantee you there was a decent sized portion of the playerbase (if not the majority) not using homeport that way (or any of the other bugs). If it was the norm, especially in Cyrene, a lot of them might be shrubs right now.

Two of my characters in two different cities were taught about homeport as a way to get back quickly from remote ports. Maybe that's not the intended functionality, but to say it's abusing a bug and shrubbable by itself is going waaaay overboard. The only thing that hints that it's not supposed to be used for travel is something buried in a forum post by @Lorielan. Even the announce post about it just says it is "handy" for when you are sailing and have to return quickly in an emergency. That's true. It also used to be "handy" for getting back from Suliel and Orilla. 

Maybe it won't be changed and my perspective is skewed since I wasn't around before it existed, but I definitely think it seemed like within the intended use of the spell to use it between ports given its high cost.

If it needs other limitations, I like the idea of a one-day no-sailing cooldown after use while the ship is being repaired. That makes sense role-play wise, the ship should need repairs after being dropped right on top of a port. 

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited April 2017

You were taught wrong.

I figured that if I wrote it bigger, you two might actually read it and stop using that argument.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    The purpose of adding a cost was to limit its usage as much as possible (i.e., to true emergencies), not to let people justify using it so freely and frequently because they're willing to pay it.

Destroying the figurehead on Homeport was intended to be so "debilitating" so as to limit its usage, but in practice, figureheads aren't THAT important/expensive that people wouldn't sacrifice them to Homeport so liberally.
  • Jonathin said:

You were taught wrong.

I figured that if I wrote it bigger, you two might actually read it and stop using that argument.

I know. 

I understand what the intended use was, now. My point is that because there's nothing in the help scroll contradicting it, there's no way people would know using homeport to get back from Suliel was a bug. I was responding to @Kayeil because she said that if people were using it that way, they'd be shrubbed. I'm not leafy, and I used homeport all the time. So did a whole bunch of seafarers across cities. I'm not talking about the trading bug, just the straight-up travel part.   

I'm also saying that I think fast travel should be a perk of the ability and a nondecay+resetting figurehead, with further limitations, so I'll write a classlead report. Worst that happens is the Divine say no. You disagree and think it shouldn't be part of the ability because it keeps the remote islands remote... ok, that's fine. 
  • You were under the impression that something that destroys a normal figurehead isn't a last ditch effort?

• edited April 2017
    Trey said:
    You were under the impression that something that destroys a normal figurehead isn't a last ditch effort?
    A figurehead costs 10k and takes about 15 minutes to re-consecrate. Trading that in order to save yourself 30-45 minutes getting back to Suliel seemed like the way the ability was intended, yeah. Otherwise why would the scroll have been written to say you return 'to the port you last departed' instead of to the port you last entered? I definitely though it was working as meant. 

It reminded me of the Isolation grove return trick. You sacrifice a quarterstaff and some energy, port a grove in Rheodad or Shala-Khulia, Iso out, and save yourself 10 minutes travelling back. That's been around forever. Seemed like a similar mechanic to me, higher cost but also saving more time.  
  • If you want a ship fast travel then suggest a new ability rather than changing one that is useful to some for its intended purpose. Every so often, people like me feel like going sailing and 20 minutes in realise their mistake. Homeport is nice to have to prevent a 20 minute mistake turning into a 40 minute mistake
  • Laedha said:
    Trey said:
    You were under the impression that something that destroys a normal figurehead isn't a last ditch effort?
    A figurehead costs 10k and takes about 15 minutes to re-consecrate. Trading that in order to save yourself 30-45 minutes getting back to Suliel seemed like the way the ability was intended, yeah. Otherwise why would the scroll have been written to say you return 'to the port you last departed' instead of to the port you last entered? I definitely though it was working as meant. 
    That's kind of dumb, no major offense intended.

It has retained its fast travel ability for every Seafaring activity except trades.

You can still Homeport across the globe from Suliel to Orilla so long as you don't dock in harbour...
  • @Krypton and hunting and exploring..... 
    Disembark onto shoreline.
  • @Krypton Maybe I'll look into it, yeah. It's taking a bigger risk with the ship. I guess that's the trade-off. I still think a long cool-down after you homeport would make more sense. 
  • @Rane

I don't know if the admins have factored us Europeans into account but its a public holiday weekend across most of Europe (Sat, Sun and Monday off work, and in some European countries Tuesday too).   The people I work with in China are also all off on Monday so maybe the 'odd' Great Hunt is opportunistic, but its one of those weekends (certainly our side of the pond) where people can and do have a bit more time.

Then again, could be a reaction.. :tired_face:
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Laedha said:
    Jonathin said:

You were taught wrong.

I know. 

I understand what the intended use was, now. My point is that because there's nothing in the help scroll contradicting it, there's no way people would know using homeport to get back from Suliel was a bug. I was responding to @Kayeil because she said that if people were using it that way, they'd be shrubbed. I'm not leafy, and I used homeport all the time. So did a whole bunch of seafarers across cities. I'm not talking about the trading bug, just the straight-up travel part.   

I'm also saying that I think fast travel should be a perk of the ability and a nondecay+resetting figurehead, with further limitations, so I'll write a classlead report. Worst that happens is the Divine say no. You disagree and think it shouldn't be part of the ability because it keeps the remote islands remote... ok, that's fine. 
    I didn't say they would be leafy JUST because of homeport, I did mention with the other bugs as well.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Losing your figurehead is suppose to cripple a ship. While you can still limp around without a figurehead it is in your best interest to not use homeport unless you really need it. You were suppose to weight up the pros (instant return to port) against the cons (no access to sea spells, having to buy a new one, travel to reconsecrate and re-power the new one before use). However, there was an oversight in the coding. It happens. Admin are also humans at keyboards and are not infallible.

How many times have you been talking avidly to a friend about something and after 5 minutes they stop you and go 'what are we talking about?'?
    In your head you know what you are talking about and assume they know what your talking about, but have not relayed one vital piece of information that put you on the same page. Assumed knowledge is a thing that happens.

However, admin have now come out and said. No. This is not how it is designed to be used. We have taken away this oversight and now it is working as originally intended. That there, is kind of the only 'END OF STORY' declaration from the admin needed on this topic.

I kind of see this like cough syrup. A lot of people use it to help coughs, but a lot of people also buy it in bulk for the pseudoephedrine and make speed out of it. Making speed is not the intended use for cough syrup so they changed it. Now there is less concerntrated in a bottle, the bottles of cough syrup are kept behind the counter and you can only buy a limited number at a time (I have heard in some places you also have to submit details to the pharmacy so you don't go hopping all over town buying up cough syrup). You don't see the druglords petitioning for the chemists to change it back because they used it to make speed and they should just accept that making speed from it is now really what it is used for despite the original intentions of the creators.

• Yeah, no one got shrubbed for what were essentially oversights. There was a third bug, who, in conjuction with the others, made the admin crack down on the culprits. The two other bugs were fixed and that's the end of it.

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    I have a couple of questions regarding homeport:

If the figurehead is resetting, does it give a different message for the figurehead being dismounted to it being destroyed?
    (A terrifying kraken figurehead shatters into innumerable pieces.)

If the answer to the first question is no, where does the dismounted figurehead end up?

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • think it gets unmounted but stays at the bow.
    Bugger, destroyed it then. Ho hum, have to get a new one.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Resetting figureheads will appear to be destroyed, and will disappear until they next reset, at which point they will return to the bow of the ship that they are resetting to!
    Fingers crossed then! I have a backup (non-resetting) figurehead to use in the interim

• I'm to afraid to try it. I get nervous when my figurehead is under 9000 let alone having to start over.
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Lol I have never used homeport. Maybe it's attachment or not want to cripple my ship, but I refuse to use something like that. You're supposed to love your figurehead and your ship and take care of it. What the fuck is wrong with these would-be sailors?
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Ok, when you accidentally cut your finger off because you were sailing while building a 2-story artisan deck, you absolutely cannot use homeport and just have to leave your ship sitting out in the ocean while you put a bit of tape on the wound.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • JinsunJinsun TN, USA
    Jonathin said:
    Ok, when you accidentally cut your finger off because you were sailing while building a 2-story artisan deck, you absolutely cannot use homeport and just have to leave your ship sitting out in the ocean while you put a bit of tape on the wound.
    Well, if there's an OOC emergency I understand. I don't use the shit for convenience, and it never would occur to me to do so because, again, Jin cares about his ship
    Jinsun said:
    Jonathin said:
    Well, if there's an OOC emergency I understand. I don't use the shit for convenience, and it never would occur to me to do so because, again, Jin cares about his ship

My children > playing a game.

• Klendathu said:
    Jinsun said:
    Jonathin said:

My children > playing a game.
    I feel like this is what he's saying.