Should I Just Start Over?

My character was a Druid from Mahldor, but now years later I have IRL money and can program. Should I just restart as someone who won't get mocked for sucking at this game at such an old in-game age, and if so, what class should I start as, and what city, and whatnot?  My character in Mhaldor was almost a Dragon, but I'm not sure if that even matters anymore. Also, Druids might be completely banned at this point, for all I know. ._.;

Thanks,
Razara

Comments

• It says I have one post. ._.; Yay?
  • Heh, reminds me of Linux.
  • You should deffo stick to grandfathered class in mhaldor IMO. That alone would have kept me playing an old character, just didn't have anything like occultist forestal or anything.
  • Glad to hear that returning to my old class isn't a bad idea, but I think I'll probably start a new character for a bit so that I remember what I was doing and how to work my class. Hopefully I can help Mhaldor, later, if they accept me.
  • Though, actually, I guess my character is a "grandmother", since even in IRL I'm one of the rare female IT majors. ._.; There's definitely more of us than there used to be, though.
  • edited May 2017
    Minifie said:
    You should deffo stick to grandfathered class in mhaldor IMO. That alone would have kept me playing an old character, just didn't have anything like occultist forestal or anything.
    Eleusian occultist/priest would have been forced out by Eleusis anyway. Class change or leave, no real option there. Similar to factional class in Cyrene: class change or be removed. (although they give you cr if you stay to cover cost)
  • Ryzeth said:
    Minifie said:
    You should deffo stick to grandfathered class in mhaldor IMO. That alone would have kept me playing an old character, just didn't have anything like occultist forestal or anything.
    Eleusian occultist/priest would have been forced out by Eleusis anyway. Class change or leave, no real option there. Similar to factional class in Cyrene: class change or be removed. (although they give you cr if you stay to cover cost)

So I can't play as a Druid there anymore?
  • Ryzeth said:
    Minifie said:
    I still saw cyrenian forestals I'm sure. I only assumed definite alignment ones were kept apart aka devo/necro and occultism for targ. I don't know all the exacts, I just know we have a sentinel and sylvan in mhaldor.
  • Razara said:
    Ryzeth said:
    Minifie said:

In Mhaldor, I mean?
  • You can stay a druid in Mhaldor afaik, we allow people who were already one to stay that way. I know we still have a sylvan somewhere.

Also no one's going to mock you for being old and not experienced, idk why that's such a common fear. Literally no one cares how old you are, most people don't even remember other people's age even if they speak every day. This is especially true if you've been gone a while, people will just assume you forgot everything.

Throwing away hundreds of hours and possibly money invested into a character out of fear for something nonexistent seems like a bad idea to me.
  • Razara said:
    Razara said:
    Ryzeth said:
    Minifie said:

In Mhaldor, I mean?
    Definitely wont be allowed. Especially if you're defending Eleusis or raiding them, and the moment you rez allies or harvest you'll get in trouble with Oakstone or whatever they are now. Frankly, you can try and ask the City for funding for a new class (I believe this was offered to the Sylvan we had) and we may help you out. Otherwise you'll be watched very carefully and the high warden or whatever their title is may use any chance to enemy you or remove your groves I think. 

Then again they may just let you do whatever you want as long as you dont harm Nature. 
  • Idk about that, we have that sylvan and aepas was a druid for ages until Sartan told him to change it for some other reason afaik.

That might've been before high warden did anything?
  • Ryzeth said:
    Minifie said:
    There are grandfathered Occies in Eleusis still, though I think the last of them went dormant. They don't get forced out. A priest or paladin would, but that's also because Targ doesn't allow any Devotion users to be in other cities.

Kiet said:
    You can stay a druid in Mhaldor afaik, we allow people who were already one to stay that way. I know we still have a sylvan somewhere.
    Nakari.

Note that if you're a grandfathered forestal class in Mhaldor, you'll get forest enemied as soon as somebody notices you, but if you don't mind being without access to several aspects of your class, that shouldn't be a problem.

Kythra said:
    Definitely wont be allowed. Especially if you're defending Eleusis or raiding them, and the moment you rez allies or harvest you'll get in trouble with Oakstone or whatever they are now.
    Harvesting, nobody cares. Or at least I don't. Mhaldor doesn't use herbs anyway, last I knew.

Rezzing, yeah, you'll be enemied, but see just above for being enemied anyway. Resurrecting a forest enemy has a much greater sunlight cost than a regular resurrection, and if you're forest enemied your grove won't be able to regain sunlight - so it's going to be a losing battle. Eventually you're stuck with what's in your staff (I would recommend getting a Splinter, too, since otherwise once your grove runs out of sunlight you won't be able to resummon a new one from it).
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Kythra said:
    Razara said:
    Razara said:
    Ryzeth said:
    Minifie said:

In Mhaldor, I mean?
    Definitely wont be allowed. Especially if you're defending Eleusis or raiding them, and the moment you rez allies or harvest you'll get in trouble with Oakstone or whatever they are now. Frankly, you can try and ask the City for funding for a new class (I believe this was offered to the Sylvan we had) and we may help you out. Otherwise you'll be watched very carefully and the high warden or whatever their title is may use any chance to enemy you or remove your groves I think. 

Then again they may just let you do whatever you want as long as you dont harm Nature. 
    It's not like I was ever harming nature to begin with, just Shallam, or something?

Either way, I put a lot of time and money into it, and have more money to invest, so hopefully joining Mhaldor won't be an issue. If not, I don't even know where to go.
  • I mean, yeah, if I was burning down forests, I could totally understand losing my powers, but I was always careful not to harm nature. I'm not going to touch Eleusis, just Shallam.
  • Okay, based on what Sarathai said, I probably shouldn't bother?
  • You can do it, don't get me wrong! Aepas survived as a Druid in Mhaldor for a long time before he finally changed class. And arties can obviate some of the issues you'll face (e.g. sunlight - your grove won't regenerate sunlight as a forest enemy, there's nothing to be done about that, but you can still evoke it into your staff anyway and use most of the Groves skill, hence my suggestion of getting a Splinter).

Just don't expect it to be easy. You are, after all, playing a class that wields powers directly opposed to those of your city.
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."

• Sarathai said:
    You can do it, don't get me wrong! Aepas survived as a Druid in Mhaldor for a long time before he finally changed class. And arties can obviate some of the issues you'll face (e.g. sunlight - your grove won't regenerate sunlight as a forest enemy, there's nothing to be done about that, but you can still evoke it into your staff anyway and use most of the Groves skill, hence my suggestion of getting a Splinter).

Just don't expect it to be easy. You are, after all, playing a class that wields powers directly opposed to those of your city.
    It used to be that you had to at least attack the forest to be marked as an enemy of the forest, so that sucks. I wouldn't attack the forest, but hey, guilt by association.
  • RP standards used to be a lot laxer, in general.

Still, it'd be way smarter to just change class and get 50% lesson return on your class skills, keeping all the non-class stuff, than it would be to make a new character and lose literally everything.
  • I don't even know what to do at this point, but I'll think of something. I just want to be a dragon since I'm so close, unless they changed that, too. (Also, I want to program stuff.)
  • Dragon is still level 99. It's a lot easier to get it than it used to be.

• I haven't logged in for years, so if I leave Mhaldor, will the other cities I'm banned from still hate me? (I literally only got banned by accidentally walking in there.) I really wouldn't mind not being apart of a city.
  • Well, Shallam got nuked, so you wouldn't be enemied to there any more. The other cities, you'd just have to enquire with their MoS about fines and such (if there are any fines). Generally I think most are reasonably willing to give people some slack if they're coming back from a long dormancy.

• Sarathai said:
    Well, Shallam got nuked, so you wouldn't be enemied to there any more. The other cities, you'd just have to enquire with their MoS about fines and such (if there are any fines). Generally I think most are reasonably willing to give people some slack if they're coming back from a long dormancy.
    Huh? Nuked? You mean Shallam doesn't exist, anymore?
  • Razara said:
    Sarathai said:
    Well, Shallam got nuked, so you wouldn't be enemied to there any more. The other cities, you'd just have to enquire with their MoS about fines and such (if there are any fines). Generally I think most are reasonably willing to give people some slack if they're coming back from a long dormancy.
    Huh? Nuked? You mean Shallam doesn't exist, anymore?
    Yup. It was destroyed in a massive world event where many of the Gods also got killed off by an alien race led by their God Bal'met. It's under the sea now. The followers of light built a new city called Targossas. 
    Melaina Naftis - Spectral Arbiter of the Krymenian Academy
  • A druid enemied to forest still has most of their fun abilities thanks to staff.
  • Daeir said:
    Grandfathered classes are pretty fun, but Oakstone will make it their mission to make your life as miserable as possible...
    Oakstone doesn't exist any more.

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Kiet said:
    A druid enemied to forest still has most of their fun abilities thanks to staff.
    And a forest-enemied Druid can still resurrect unlimitedly through Revive in Reclamation (the new Druid skill that replaced Concoctions a couple years ago).

If it comes to it, I could live without Groves. Not everyone draws major utility from it, depending on their playstyle.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Sarathai said:

Eventually you're stuck with what's in your staff (I would recommend getting a Splinter, too, since otherwise once your grove runs out of sunlight you won't be able to resummon a new one from it).
    Or just customise a regular quarterstaff to be resetting.

Razara said:
    I just want to be a dragon since I'm so close, unless they changed that, too.
    Level 85 is not "close". It's certainly something, but less than halfway to Dragon in terms of total XP points accumulated, I believe.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Less than halfway when it comes to raw numbers, but as far as bashing times go 85 is probably about halfway, give or take a few levels.
    Huh. Neat.